TD6 Dozer/Loader

Thanks Dave, We may hunt tomorrow.

Rawleigh, Thanks,

I will get a liquid filled one.

Well a update on the TD-6 status.

A friend came over and with a little bit of help we got the pin back in the right track. Still cant find the master link in the left side?

I charged the battery, filled the little gas tank half way, and it started up on gas after the third try. The starter was smoking pretty good.

Opened the bleeder on top of the primary fuel filter canister and in about 30 seconds it was venting diesel fuel well. Cracked each injector and bled those. After a couple minutes on gas I made the switch to diesel and it transitioned as it should. Very smooth! I moved the TD-6 up and down the drive for a few minutes getting the new liquids moving. All systems seemed to work. But the transmission seems to not want to come out of gear smoothly/easily? Have to really pull on the shifter, any ideas?

When I went back to gas it stalled. I restarted it immediately and let it cool down on gas.

Thanks for the support!

Regards,

Chris

exSW,

I have not tried to adjust the hand clutch. I have read about it, but it seems to function OK. Well now that you mention it, maybe that is a part of the problem? It just seems like its in the tranny?

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

There is something I may try next time I get the TD-6 running. I have not tried to stop the tractor by pulling back both steering levers.

So If I pull those back and it stops and then I release (push forward) the hand clutch. Maybe it will come out of gear easier? Lets see, that will take four hands!:)

Could be worth a shot though. I did not really notice this shifting issue much before, but I guess I really haven't run it that much either. Just don't want to break anything.

I was impressed that the machine now moves and turns as well as it does.

I still don't have room for my left knee between the steering clutch when pulled back and the hand clutch lever!

Still many things to work on like the entire electrical system.

Question on these starters: Even the original book says not to crank these more than a couple short duration times or they get hot. Why were they built like that? Also, If I was to remove the starter and have it gone over would it be any better for extended crank time?

I need to check all the wiring and the generator also.

Details, details!

I have more questions than answers: So on the track master link the right side is very obvious. The thru pin has two flats and a hole through for a retaining pin. This is on the out side of the right track. On the left track I have not found a similar master link area, Would it be on the inside near the tractor?

Also I need several grouser bolts/nuts ( at least one grouser is loose). Where is a good place to get them? Dealer?

Regards,

Chris

Caterpillar nut and bolt hardware is some of the best,and it is priced with the cheap stuff. Track pad bolts are special,grade 12 or higher.

As for starters for the old gas starts,I have never seen one that really spines the engine over.They always sound like the battery is weak to me.But I have never around a restored one,only old junk expected to work cheap.

Yes look on the inside for the master pin as well. At this stage in a tractors life anything can have been used for master pin,generally have a indentation in the center of pin. Always something that is different than the rest of the pins.Even having been welded on so it stays in so must be ground down or cut out.Good luck.

Thanks guys,

On the track pin I may take a wire brush to the outsides of the pins on the left side. That may show something. I will look for the indentation as mentioned.

Just finished our deer season today. When I got home it was dark I primed the 50 cal and stepped out back. And fired it. WOW! I had forgotten how much fire works goes off in front of your eye!

Weather is going to turn cold but that's good since we need a good freeze before the maple season kicks in.

Question on the track adjusters. Is there a option to move the idler ahead like with a come-along and then put a spacer in there. This is assuming I cant get the screw to turn.

Regards,

Chris

D,

Figured I was not the first one to think about that spacer idea!:)

Well we are in cold blizzard conditions. The cat and dog are in the living room. The wood furnace has it about 72 in here and the wife and I are just hunkered down for a good old winters storm.

The old TD-6 is tarped and is going to have to wait for a warm spell.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Since we are now in winter mode, the TD-6 loader will set tarped till spring.

Dresser unit:

On a separate but related subject I did get to help my neighbor work on the left side final drive on his Dresser TD-9 it is a 1977 I think. Anyway it had damaged the shaft and bull gear. He got good used parts and I just helped bolt the final drive back on the tractor. That machine has wet clutches for steering.

Was interesting to work on it I learned some things. Luckily he has a nice big heated garage with a jib crane to do the lifting.

Allis WD project:

Just completed some other outside tractor activity too. I have a Allis WD at my daughters and It would not start when we needed to plow snow. I ended up changing and up dating a lot of things and finally got it started a couple days ago.

I removed to old mag (it needed some parts so decided to go with distributor instead). And (here's the RED tie in) installed a IH distributor. Yep! They fit fine. Just are in the horizontal position vs the Allis vertical type. New points condenser, cap, inside cover, rotor, cap, 12 volt coil, coil bracket, new plug wires, new plugs, new key switch, drained the gas tank, removed and took the carb apart twice, removed charged and installed the battery twice! Finally knew I had a gas issue when I took the plugs out and squirted fresh gas in the cylinders and it fired right up for a couple seconds. Yikes it was cold out there during this event Thought of KoO. :)

Maple syrup:

We are getting ready for maple syrup season which will keep me busy till mid April. We are small scale producer with 650 taps

This makes the spring go buy quicker.

Regards,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Well folks,

Syrup season is coming to a close. Hope to get back at some of the big issues with the TD6. I have a bunch or dirt to move and it could be skidding logs out too! Need to get crackin!

Regards,

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Folks,

Just celebrated a birthday for this thread. Time flies!

Well our syrup season is done we made about 180 gallons of syrup.

I just acquired two more projects for the summer that may get priority over the TD6? I bought a fifth wheel trailer to haul my tractors and toys then went and bought another tractor. (1958 D17 Allis).

Right now its still tarped. If I do get a chance to work on the dozer, it will be to work on:

- Track adjusters and the worn parts in the track systems first.

- Then the starter and generator and charging systems.

- Third would be improved seating.

Hope things are good pushing dirt and digging holes!

Well that was strange. Just got a call from a guy that might want to come and look at the TD6. Time will tell.

Regards,

Chris

I am looking for someone that can re-build IH T-6 fuel pumps, any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks12670891_1418125141547800_52461300895187

I am looking for someone that can re-build IH T-6 fuel pumps, any help would be greatly appreciated

Old fuel pumps like that are pretty simple.......if you have a parts source.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't touched the TD6 yet. It has been very wet and dismal for the last week. I have started to cut and split wood for the house.

I would like to take the TD6 back to the slab pile and move some wood around with it. Then maybe I could get to some better slabs for filling the sugarhouse woodshed for next season.

Regards,

Chris

Try these folks http://then-now-auto.com/fuel-pumps/ Great people to deal with ,phone call probably best .

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I need a kick in the pants to get the TD6 started and see if it will move! Been too busy on other spring projects and new to me tractors too.

Hope things are good out there in dirt moving land!

Regards,

Chris

Guess I need a kick in the pants to get the TD6 started and see if it will move! Been too busy on other spring projects and new to me tractors too.

Regards,

Chris

If you put it away with all the starting issues sorted out I think you'll be surprised at how easily it comes to life.

Regards,

Chris

If you put it away with all the starting issues sorted out I think you'll be surprised at how easily it comes to life.

Folks,

I had the battery charger on the TD6 over night on 2 amp. Weather was mild but rainy today and this evening I thought I should try to start the old girl. I had not read the above post from exSW but he was right on the money! I put gas in it, and it fired up on about the second rev. Let it warm up on gas and it switched over to diesel real easy and smooth!

I hauled a bucket load of debris back to the woods and proceeded to head down the old slab pile to do some rearranging.

We this worked better than I would have imagined! For a small machine it still has good power and all the main systems functioned as required. Turns both directions (better to the left than the right) very slow with no brake applied. Spins and turns very sharp when brake is applied. So the obligatory start and move every 6 months has been done! And I pushed big piles of old slabs out of the way to allow me to get to some hopefully better wood for syrup making.

I did more work in a hour that I could have done in a week by hand. It earned its keep today. The diesel purred along very steady.

When I got back to the house it was dark. Tried to shut done back to gas but it stalled. Had to get off and restart it and let it cool down on gas for a little while.

Still a bunch of issues on this machine, Will see if it gets any attention this summer

Track adjusters and frame rail work.

Electrical, starter, generator and all wiring.

Seating needs to be improved! :)

When is that dirt moving day in Western New York around Fathers day?

Hope things are good in RED land!

Regards,

Chris

Very nice to hear she is earning her keep !! :)

pix and vid are always enjoyed ( hint hint)

Folks,

Careful what you ask for!

Some shots! Nothing fancy here.

Old man, old machine, playing in the dirt.

Maggie helping a little

DSC05688.jpg

Getting it started. I have to stand outside and use a bar to engage the starter. While reaching through and holding the gas lever down. I have to get this system fixed to start again from the cockpit.

DSC05655.jpg

DSC05654.jpg

Clean up of pile of debris

DSC05683.jpg

DSC05658.jpg

DSC05684.jpg

Heading back across some fields to the slab pile. In this picture you can almost see the pile in the center on the edge of the woods. Maybe 1/8 mile trip. Got a chance to try third and fourth gears! :)

DSC05664.jpg

Neighbors pond behind my place

DSC05666.jpg

Did not put the hood on for this adventure.

DSC05665.jpg

DSC05670.jpg

There were 120 cord of slabs here a couple years ago. I used the "6" to push some of the piles of sorted edgings away from the main pile.

DSC05681.jpg

DSC05680.jpg

DSC05679.jpg

Most of the greenish mud is from the edge of the bean field I had to skirt around. It was well lubricated! :)

DSC05678.jpg

Hydraulics drift down, track adjusters need serious help, does not charge, temp gage not working, starter not great. but it still wants to work!

DSC05677.jpg

DSC05676.jpg

DSC05675.jpg

DSC05674.jpg

DSC05673.jpg

DSC05672.jpg

DSC05671.jpg

Getting way better at running the controls of the "6". and it is starting to turn to the right a little better without the brake applied. If I tap the brake it turns very good both directions. I have some rubber grips I may put on the bucket levers. Uncle Jack must have worn these out!

DSC05668.jpg

DSC05667.jpg

Turning left! I just don't have much room for my left knee between the clutch and the turning lever.

DSC05661.jpg

When I shut it down it switched over to gas with out stalling, So I guess I am learning.

DSC05657.jpg

Starter seems to be getting weaker all the time. I need to pull it, which sounds easy, any suggestions or tricks? I see three bolts are there more in the back?

DSC05656.jpg

Regards,

Chris