TD6 Dozer/Loader

Dave,

Thanks!

Folks

After spending some quality time under the TD-6, I see that that bottom pan really needs to come off at some point. It is so caked and packed with dirt that its full up to the crank shaft pulley! How heavy are those? Looks like it would need to be held up with a jack as the bolts were removed. Maybe I could pressure wash some of it out?

Found a 1 inch dia stick about 6 foot long, jammed up in the right side near the pan, will have to cut that out someday.:)

I will try the new gasket this afternoon. Its cooler today about 20 degrees F.

Cheryl and I are watching Rhett our 8 month old great grandson today. Doesn't get much better than that!

Regards,

Chris

Thomas848, if you can get a heavy piece of plywood under the front end, you can use a car jack (wheeled kind) under the pan to lower it with. If you can't do that or don't have a jack, you can hook a come along up with the chain running under the pan. Hook the live end up on the side of the engine compartment, and the jack end on the other side of the machine engine compartment. Tighten it up (might have to rig if pan is angled) and remove the bolts. Then lower to ground and snake it out.

Seems everyone who has one that is working on it got it with the belly pans full. PO's was just into working them I suppose. It helps to keep them clean. Not only for cooling, but to help keep oil fires from occurring in one. If you're ever pushing brush and get a spark down in the pan, and it is full of leaves, oily dirt, etc., it makes for a hot fire.

Good luck, yes they are heavy, but you can get them down. I've had several down, cleaned, and got them back up. Not only will your pan need cleaned but there will be a good bit stuck up in the sides of the engine compartment and toward the back also.

D

That sediment bowl looks a whole lot like the one on my 560 diesel. I can't tell what the dimensions are from the picture but the 560 one is slightly smaller than average water glass size. I have one of those fuel pressure gauges.....somewhere.

Have a good sized sledge hammer at the ready , good for whacking the pan while upside down to loosen the crap up :)

Don't be afraid to straighten out the kinks and bows with it also , They are usually sprung just a bit , Much easier to bolt it

back up if the bolts can go in straight .

That sediment bowl looks a whole lot like the one on my 560 diesel. I can't tell what the dimensions are from the picture but the 560 one is slightly smaller than average water glass size. I have one of those fuel pressure gauges.....somewhere.

You better hang on to that fuel pressure gage! You might need it! :) I have not looked on line for it or called the local dealer yet.

Regards,

Chris

Dave/ Kevin

That pan removal looks like a much warmer weather project!

Well the status on the sediment bowl removal clean up, new homemade cork gasket and installation seems to have been a success. I turned the fuel on and did not have any leaks that I could see. It sure wasn't poring out like before! Filled the AUX filter till the fuel ran out the air vent. Put the bottom cover on the pan at the sediment bowl area. After all that, I did see just a little fuel in the inside of the cover. Hoping it came from over flow on the AUX canister.

Question. Will the Primary diesel fuel filter fill with on its own? It says the tractor has to be running to bleed? Anyway I left the bleeder open for a couple hours and no fuel came out?

Too cold to start it today. Maybe towards the end of the week? Then I should be able to get the filters bled and the injectors bled too.

So if you hear a ruckus from NW PA, you will know, its only the old TD-6 firing up!

Oh I did take a couple pictures. Pretty exciting stuff:) I just need to find the camera and get them down loaded.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Some pictures:

I may have gotten a piece of grass between the bowl and gasket? I can see it in the pictures.

DSC04991.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04993.jpg

Rear (Auxiliary) filter full and vented.

DSC04997.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Thing is, those sediment bowls warp. Can be tough to seal.

The Aux is gravity and is not critical. Some air inside doesn't mean anything.

Primary filter is between the lift pump and injector pump. Technically some air is a plus as the canister will pressurize and thus serve as a demand reservoir to better filter pulses as the plunger takes bites. Elasticity is a good thing.

Yes it will fill, but takes a little while. A little time on gas will do nicely. The B model injector pumps flowed the return after the primary filter and bled super easily by themselves. But even the older style will push out the air pretty quick. Still best to bleed the primary manually but it is simple to do and unecessary. For the most part I don't bleed filters or injectors. After a while I didn't see the point.

M,

Thanks for the support. I am very much still learning, and am not a diesel guy at all. When I do get a chance to start it on gas I will bleed the primary and let a little air out of the injectors prior to switching to diesel.

Regards,

Chris

If your gas side start is up to snuff you shouldn't have any trouble starting it in this weather. One of the beautiful things about these machines. I started my old one when it was this cold and colder. Once to the absolute consternation of a Cat operator. " I'd of bet my truck,house wife,daughter that thing wasn't going to start....."

You better hang on to that fuel pressure gage! You might need it! :) I have not looked on line for it or called the local dealer yet.

Regards,

Chris

I'm pretty sure I put it someplace I wouldn't lose it!

If your gas side start is up to snuff you shouldn't have any trouble starting it in this weather. One of the beautiful things about these machines. I started my old one when it was this cold and colder. Once to the absolute consternation of a Cat operator. " I'd of bet my truck,house wife,daughter that thing wasn't going to start....."

Oh, I think it would start on gas. Although the old starter is a little slow and weak. I just procrastinate really well too. I need to get that right track pin back in place before I get to excited about having it running and moving.

Cheryl is so excited when I spend a half of a day working on the dozer:)

Regards,

Chris

I bought a small back mount gauge off of Ebay for mine. It didn't have the colored bands on it but it worked fine.

I would be Ok with that. Do you have any details of the part number? I will look online for small back mount pressure gage. Any idea of the correct pressure range? The original gage had "change filter" low pressure zone.

Regards,

Chris

Rawleigh99,

Ok not a problem. I found several gages that may work. Just trying to see what pressure range would be good?

Some reading after the fact shows that i should have pulled the screen out of the inside of the sediment bowl too. Maybe next time.

Also says to remove a small filter in the line. I will look at that item in the near future.

Will hunt whitetails this afternoon.

Regards,

Chris

That screen and the tiny well behind it is usually full of gunky stuff. Inline filters can be a pain with short gravity feeds and this is no different.

Normal pressure is 65 original, but 38 later on. An 75ish gauge is appropriate. Anything above ~20 will make them run okay. Fittings are normal NPT stuff. The only thing special is an orifice in the gauge to reduce pulse vibration. Short lifespan without it.

Folks,

Not IH related, but this afternoon I put on a little drive on the daughters 95 acre woodlot. Friend Brent harvested a nice big doe from a typical herd of three deer. Any day you can get one of these speed beef on the ground with a smoke pole is a good day! I didn't carry a gun on this drive and used my sling shot and iron ore pellets to keep the deer moving.

Put them right in his lap for a 25 yard standing shot. What a thrill hearing that 50 cal go off while on the other side of the woods.The big deer went 50 yards, and would have stayed, but he bumped it and it went another 75 yards. We had snow and good trail so it was not hard to find. Pictures coming:)

Regards,

Chris

That screen and the tiny well behind it is usually full of gunky stuff. Inline filters can be a pain with short gravity feeds and this is no different.

Normal pressure is 65 original, but 38 later on. An 75ish gauge is appropriate. Anything above ~20 will make them run okay. Fittings are normal NPT stuff. The only thing special is an orifice in the gauge to reduce pulse vibration. Short lifespan without it.

M,

Thanks! Should this be a liquid filled gage or a dry gage? I assume its 1/4 NPTF thread?

Regards,

Chris

Good on the long legged doe! Do you all make jerky, or just carve her up and eat?

D

Dave,

If it was mine we would cut up and grind most into burger. Weather is just right. I have three more days of season left. Brent took this doe to local processor.

Brent with the big doe and his Traditions front stuffer.

f5672697-3565-4145-bcf1-3b81d96040b2.jpg

The dog in orange! We were back at the house drinking coffee by 2:00.

IMG_0029.jpg

Regards,

Chris