TD6 Dozer/Loader

I agree that the information about the fancy dinners is right on the money! Do you really think I could get Cheryl to watch for those grease fittings as they spin around on the steering clutches? I will let youy know haow that works out for me:)!

Weather is nice, I just cant get to the tractor right now!

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

I was able to do a little maintenance on the TD-6 today. I drained the transmission, about 3 gallons of the liqud peanutbutter stuff!

Added 4 gallons of kerosene and drove it up and down the drive for 20 minutes in all gears. Pulled the dozer up on some 6 x 6 blocks an drained the kerosene. Then added 16 quarts of NAPA 80-90 gear lube in the tranny. While the engine was warm I was able to get the drain plug open for the engine oil pan and drained that too. Have to check at NAPA for the engine oil filter. Then get some 10W20 oil for it. Any recommendations on oil?

I did open the inspection holes on the final drives. Neither had oil to that level. So I will try to find the drain plug and get those drained and refilled with 2 pints of the gear oil in each one.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Picked up the filters at NAPA. Guess we were not in sync? Got the wrong filters:( I called them with theIH oil filter number and they will have it in by Tuesday morning. 1155 is the correct oil filter number. Probably correct NAPA filter numbers on here some where?

BTW. Cheryl was wondering about the yard being tore up for some reason. We had to go out for a fancy dinner tonight:)

Regards,

Chris

Protocol Demands that the Fancy Dinner place is displayed with pictures so others in the same predicament may benefit :)

Folks,

Sorry no "fancy resturant" pictures but it was Bob Evans and we both had the pot roast which was very good!

Have a small vent line off the carb to fix today. Not a big thing, just another small broken part that needs fixed.

A big project would be to get the track adjusters working again. Any suggestions? It looks like the threaded shafts are not in good shape. Would I need to take the track apart to allow the front idle come forward and then remove the adjuster?

Regards,

Chris

You will need to break the track to remove the threaded rod. Find the master pin to break the track. Original style had a keeper pin in the end

of the pin and was not a press fit. Later ones have a dimple in the end and are a press fit. Safety glasses needed if you drive it out with a sledge

and punch. The pin could have a step worn in it which can cause you a problem getting it out.

good luck

Dennis

You will need to break the track to remove the threaded rod. Find the master pin to break the track. Original style had a keeper pin in the end

of the pin and was not a press fit. Later ones have a dimple in the end and are a press fit. Safety glasses needed if you drive it out with a sledge

and punch. The pin could have a step worn in it which can cause you a problem getting it out.

good luck

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the info! We have had the right side track apart when it was run off. The pin was fairly easy to get out. I will take a look at it tomorrow. I am afraid of all the other worn parts I may find, If/when I get into this portion of the project. Trying to attack the major issues to help assure that it could do some work someday again.

Regards,

Chris

Rawleigh99 ,

Thanks for the link to the Wix filter selection guide. I did get the 1155 oil filter installed today and the 9 quarts of fresh oil in the crank case.

Drained the final drives and added a quart of UGL 80W to each.

Found that the right track was ready to come apart. Seems the pin in the master link had lost its keeper pin.

Not a lot of big action on this machine. Fuel filtrers to be changed, And I need to get to the desiel sediment bowl and drain that of any water.

Still feel someone might like to own it more than me?????? :)

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

So some talk in another TD-6 post about track lubrication got me more intrerested in checking out the fittings on my old TD-6.

I found that several button heads were 7/8 nut wrench size. These were on the idler wheels. The bottom rollers had pipe plugs with a .312 inch square internal head, except for one which was 1/2 square head external pipe plug. Anyway I cleaned the dirt off them and sprayed all with blaster. All of them came loose with out a fight. I took out a couple and those were full of grease. Was happy to see that too.

Just another step in learning about these. I will use the link in the other thread to find what size button heads I might need. May also check with NAPA on what they might have? But these are unusual items and I will keep my expections low:).

Regards,

Chris

Thanks to folks here (Englishcreeks thread), these are a couple links on the button head fittings and the grease application head that fits them.

http://saeproducts.c...e-fittings.html

and the gun head

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Not much new on the TD-6. Next up is to freshen the diesel side of the fuel system. New filters to be changed out this week if weather holds. Also would like to get the sediment bowl off and cleaned.

Regards,

Chris

Good evening,

Well I felt like a project today and got into the fuel filter changes for the old TD-6.

I removed the primary fuel filter and checked the replacement from NAPA. Same exact filter so no issues there.

Removed the Auxiliary canister and seen that Uncle Jack had not got that filter in correct location on the bottom. The gasket was out of position and the filter was kinked. So when I opened the box from NAPA this was not the same as in the tractor. I did get some pictures (hope to load later) I used the old top cap and the new filter and used the cork gasket to seal the base. Anyway got those back in place then thought it would be good to remove the sediment bowl. Well I slid under and found the cover with two bolts. Removed that and then gently worked the thumb screw back and forth on the bail. got that free and removed the bowl.

It was a mess and had 2 inches of gunk in the bottom. The small vent tube was plugged with stuff. So got the bowl and the bail cleaned up. Tried four times to reinstall this. Well I got it in place each time but it leaked like a sieve! It is not very easy to see the gasket area. I may need a new one? Any hints on getting this sediment bowl back on and leak free? I am not sure this had ever been off the tractor?

Regards,

Chris

Here are some pictures of fuel updates.

Aux filter and new NAPA filter.

DSC04971.jpg

DSC04972.jpg

DSC04973.jpg

I used the upper metal part from the old filter. It has a center hole that fits the bolt.

DSC04974.jpg

Bottom end should seal on base.

DSC04974.jpg

NAPA box. Hoping this filter will work ok?

DSC04977.jpg

Filter base on tractor both canisters removed.

DSC04978.jpg

Aux assembly back on.

DSC04979.jpg

This did not want to fill up with fluid, took about 2 hours??

I think I need a new fuel pressure gage too. Any ideas on where to get these?

DSC04980.jpg

Primary filter was same as old one.

DSC04981.jpg

Don't use carb cleaner on these as it took the old label instructions right off!

New filters in place.

DSC04982.jpg

Cover for sediment bowl.

DSC04984.jpg

Not much room to get at this from the top or the bottom.

DSC04988.jpg

Not a very good picture from botto.

DSC04987.jpg

Before.

DSC04989.jpg

After

DSC04990.jpg

Well I did not get over heated:)

DSC04985.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Chris, I'm going to say you'll need a new gasket. I'm not sure you can find one, so you may have to make one. I've cut them out of an inner tube but they didn't last long with the gas. Last one I made for an IH 350 utility I have was just out of good blue gasket material from my local (just over the hill) auto supply store. I think their called parts plus this year lol. Those puppies are hard to seal when you can see them, I can't imagine trying to when you can't see. You'll probably have to spray some brake cleaner or similar in the gasket groove and put a little gasket shellac on it and the gasket to get it to stay up in there. If you cut one, be sure the OD is tight going into the groove, that's where the bowl gets most of seal. Good luck with it. You've done nothing but good cleaning the gunk and stuff out of there. Might have to tie a log chain on back next time you fire her up just to help hold her. She'll be feeling good getting a full snort of go juice.

Dave

Pretty sure you can get the sediment bowl gaskets try rice equipment or the Fordson house , PS take some measurements before you call

Dave and Kevin,

Folks

Thanks for the support. I was considering two other options. Neither is going to be quick or easy.

1. Was to take the sediment bowl bracket off the side of the block. Requires disconnecting the fuel lines in and out. Just not much room and it wont come out or go in from the top side.

2. Remove the rock shield to get some more wiggle room underneath? This is packed full of dirt and debris and sure could use a general cleaning under the engine.

One thing is sure about the only way its going to run, is to get this back on and sealed up. I will start to check on gaskets.

Just attempted to order two gaskets for this project from www.Waltstractor.com

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Sometimes I don't have much patience. Even though I ordered a couple gaskets, this sediment bowl was bugging me. Now that I am a little older I decided to tackle it again. I used several long thin scraping tools to get the old gasket scraped off. I see why it did not seal. The old cork gasket was very brittle and came of in small chunks. About a hour of picking at it, I was down to the cast white metal and the brass screen, which the new gasket covers both. I traced the outline of the glass bowl on a piece of 1/8 thick cork. Cut out the O.D. and I.D. Shellac was just to hard to get up in there so I used good (gray) gasket cement applied to the top of the gasket and pushed it into place with a tool. The gasket fit tight and stuck well enough that I was able to install the glass and the bail. Forgot that with the gray sealant you are supposed to tighten to finger tight. Then let it dry and then tighten. Well, I tightened it right up. Will wait for a day and then turn on the diesel.

Keep your fingers crossed:)

BTW the sediment bowl gasket O.D. is just under 3 inches. I do have to get back under there to put the small cover back on. Maybe I will take a picture?

Regards,

Chris