TD6 Dozer/Loader

16 hours ago, exSW said:

Great stuff.

I found an HD-6 AC close. Interested?

NO!!:) But thanks for the thoughts. See you at the steam show?? I am going to try to run the TD18 a little.

I did pick up that Murray thermostat from O-Rrileys #3436

Called the Karam place and left message. and called Martins and told them to go ahead with the rewind of the armature. That should have been done in reverse, I get things all messed up! Been busy getting tractors and work done at the local Steam show. see link. Hope to see some of you there. I will have chairs and a easy up and Allis stuff across from the machine shop. 

http://pioneersteamandgas.com/Media/PSGESBigShow2018%20Email.mp4

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks,

Not good news for finding a starter from Karam. They said its discontinued! Yea pretty much knew that too.

So onward with the rewound armature. 

Hope things are good out there in Red land!

I did get to run the 147 IH cub around the Steam show a little today. Hoping to take the great grandson to the show tomorrow.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I will eventually get to working on this thermostat in the TD6. Just looked (on line) at the size of the Stant 13436 and it says 2.5 inches dia. The Murray that I got looks like its not the right one at 2.12 dia? That was from O-rileys. Nort sure how thay mess that up?? That's me trying to be cheap again. Will probably have to get the Stant version.

Was under the dozer last night trying to get to the radiator drain. Which is a turn spigot. But I cant reach it through the skid pan hole or get my mit's on it from above. Guess I will gust have to loose some antifreeze when I take the thermostat housing off the block. Would like to get this thermostat corrected before I get the starter back to re-install. Not much of a hurry on this machine (read that "toy")

Thanks for checking in on me. 

Regards,

Chris

Chris, Use the block drain. It's more accessible and you can get a can under it to catch the AF. Jim.

Jim,

Great suggestion! Of course I didnt read this till after the fact!:) I did get the top thermostat housing off today and as I thought, the Murray 3436 is not even close to the right size. May order the Stant item tomorrow. Starter should be back this week too.

DjBBEsU.jpg

Found new gasket in some sheet stock from NAPA.

0Zmyqrq.jpg

ZG7WzF0.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Broke down and ordered the Stant 13436. So should have that in a few days. 

Maybe will work on mounting that nice rear light.

Regards,

Chris

I just came across your Forum and am extatic!  I have a TD6 that I have SLOWLY been getting back to life over the last few years!  I appreciate you taking the time to document all you have done!  Im sure I will have questions if you dont mind me PMing you!  These Pictures are when I moved the TD6 to my current house!

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

Hank,

No problem get in touch with me anytime. I am not very well versed in these I just happen to have one!:)

I need a garage like that!  What are you pulling the trailer with?

Regards,

Chris

Thats my old barn...40x60.  I dont have one nearly that nice at this property, but it is under roof under a lean-to.  I had my 97 f350 7.3 towing it.  I forget what the weight was.  we scaled it at a truck stop.  If my memory serves me right, it was nearly 10k.  the book i think says its around 6k, but its heavier than it stated!

Hank, Folks,

Yes I think your about right on the weight. Mine with loader is about 12K lb. I think? But I have never weighed it. Lots of steel in a small package.

I have the new Stant 13436 thermostat. And I see that it has a arrow that shows that the longer brass end would go down towards the block.

May get this installed in next few days.

8xaqTiE.jpg

May be hard to see, not a great picture.

nmyoySk.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

The TD6 got some needed attention this morning.

OK so first thing was to try the new thermostat in the lower housing and it would not fit. It could only go  in the upper housing with the tubular portion going up towards the radiator. Which is opposite the little imprinted arrow on the outside. Anyway that was the only way it was going to fit. The end of the brass tube is open and I believe it is fed hot water through the bypass and into this area to heat the thermostat.

Picture of no fit condition

tZ1NBZH.jpg

picture of  fit into upper casting.

PG7gUy6.jpg

sxPhJL8.jpg

So I got this installed with the new gasket:

While playing with the radiator cap I flipped it over and realized that the brass fitting that the cap is supposed to screw/ tighten/seal onto, was in the cap, just setting there! Released that and began to figure out how to attach it to the cast top of the radiator. The brass fitting had some vertical cracks too. In hind site I should have let it set for a day to think about it. NO, of course not, forge ahead and begin to clean up both the tank and the brass fitting. and I was determined to braze  it together. In hind site I should have soldered it on! I think it would have been a much better finished job. The brazing was too hot and I melted several holes in the brass which I had to fill. Not pretty and I had to grind them down. Not really sure I got much of a seal around the whole brass ring. I did get it attached but maybe only in a couple places?

QANPLbd.jpg

Brazed on to the cast neck, just about ruined it!

JbZ4B05.jpg

I guess I could go back in a use solder to try to fill in the voids between the cast neck and the brass fitting. Right now its no worse that it was but may not be a 'sealed system yet either?

Also put in a new rubber gasket for the radiator cap seal. The old one fell apart.

BySe8kZ.jpg

nk32gRz.jpg

I am beginning to think your "run these for a hour, and work on them for a week"!:)

Regards,

Chris

Well folks ,

I did try soldering this  radiator neck on tonight but just did not have any luck. Guess I just couldn't get the neck hot enough? So when I get the starter back we will see how the cooling system preforms. I still have that nice rear light to install, wire and add a switch.

Regards,

Chris

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, hank1010 said:

I just came across your Forum and am extatic!  I have a TD6 that I have SLOWLY been getting back to life over the last few years!  I appreciate you taking the time to document all you have done!  Im sure I will have questions if you dont mind me PMing you!  These Pictures are when I moved the TD6 to my current house!

IMG_0899.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

this is the best place to find help on these old girls even though they're not cheep dates you may want to start your own thread or post for your machine most of us will see it quicker that way and welcome to the forum russ 

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Rebuilt starter is done. Will pick it up soon. Just a tad over $300 for the starter work. Just in time to get this TD6 back on line. May get a chance to move some dirt with it yet this fall too!

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Installed the rebuilt starter and fuel lines last night after dark. Was a very comfortable evening job, under the lights. No real issues on the install. Just takes time to get the three starter bolts in place.

Will try to start it soon. Hoping it primes up ok on diesel.

Will also get a chance to see if the new Stant thermostat and radiator cap/ neck repairs function as they should. 

AK8nruV.jpg

I believe this starter has been the most expensive project on this old machine so far. Probably have about $500 into just that item on the TD6. But, it has to function,  so we keep going forward. (Kids and their toys!:))

Thanks for checking in on me!

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Up date on the electrical system. Tried the starter this morning and nothing! Finally monkey with the old wires enough that I got just a slight reaction, but not enough to even turn the starter.

Checked for 12 volt at the battery and the starter. All looked good till I engaged the starter then voltage dropped to zero. Starter shop recommended checking the grounds and leads. Well the hot lead from the battery is 65 years old, I had stripped the covering off and slipped a rubber hose over it. The original crimped end did not look very good. It was big maybe bigger than #1/0??. The ground wire was a #6 std car battery cable grounded to the frame under the diesel tank.  So I decided it was a good time to take the worries out of this cable issue. Heck maybe it was part of my issue all along? Went to NAPA (the Nana and Papa store) and got new cables made using 2/0 rubber coated with crimped ends. New battery terminals to allow the spade of the new cable to be attached with a wing nut. Nice and clean and solid. Had them make the hot cable longer by a foot. Ran it out side the left side of the cabin so that I am not stepping on it. And it doesn't run through the left foot brake hole in the dash now. Got everything in place and the tractor turned over immediately! Started within 10 seconds of cranking. Re-primed itself and changed over to diesel smoothly.  Took it for a ride down the yard to make sure the steering clutches had some action.

So $400 dollars later it seems like it is going to be OK. May be OK for a long time! Now some pictures.

Also the temp Gage came up to almost the run mark, no boil over, no over heating. (I wasn't working it hard, it was just setting idling and a short jaunt.) So the correct thermostat seems to work! Amazing  what can happen when you pay attention and follows the rules!

Tracks were squeaking a lot. The Uncle that owned this is probably trying to tell me I need to look at those next!:)

i4oUZlN.jpg

Running!

cT2EJ90.jpg

MHTnkIu.jpg

vj2vWPH.jpg

Little blurry but moving.

QV1oGeS.jpg

Glamor shots, wait there may not be much glamor here!

SHiXeBl.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Like a kid I had to go out and try it again. Engine was still warm. It fired up on about two revs. I just sat there and let it idle real slow in diesel mode!  What a sweet running little machine. Forget all the nasty stuff I said!:) Uncle Jack would be happy! Lube bucket and tracks await! 

Hope things are good out there! Thanks for checking on me too!

Regards,

Chris

Very Good Chris!  I know its hard to stomach the price of the rebuilt starter, but like you said, its something that has to be done.  The gentleman that did mine said you never know what you are going to get when you purchase an ebay starter for these old tractors.  Most come from china, and the inside parts are garbage.  I did the same thing for my cables.  I had some big welding lead laying around, and made my own.  I still havent had the time to get mine cranking...hopefully soon!  yours is looking great and always a pleasure to see the progress!

Hank,

Thanks! Our son was over tonight and I had the TD6 running in a matter of seconds! The upgrades will make the machine much more work ready and dependable too.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Since the money pit: I mean TD6, is operational again. And I went to several tractor pulls lately!  It is time to take the wife out to a "fancy restaurant"! Probably Long Horn for steak fillet? Its the least I could do. :)

I did pressure wash the TD6 today. Its a real leaf collector when uncovered!

That back up light is next!

Regards,

Chris

Archived