TD6 Dozer/Loader

Sounds like it is your harvest time Chris.  Better let the TD sit and take care of business.  Hope you have a great harvester.  No syrup harvester here in our area.  We visited  a syrup operation in Vermont a few years ago--an interesting operation and bought some too.   Old Chinese proverb, "may your streams run full".

Dennis

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dennis, Folks,

Yes maple season is under way in our neck of the woods. (Maybe a little early? I will let you know in April!:)

I like this sap hauler!

Im87SoC.jpg

Gathered 550 gallons of 2% sap yesterday, sweetened the pans and made 2.5 gal of Amber Rich maple syrup by 10:00 last night. More sap coming today, so may gather and boil tomorrow when it gets cold again.

Regards,

Chris

exSW,

Well your probably within a hours drive. So jump in the car head up I-79  and arrive about 10:00 tomorrow morning and we will visit,  talk IH equipment and make some some syrup!

I have about 500 gallons of sap to boil in the morning.

or visit

www.mapleandhoney.com

I think the directions are on the last page of the web site.

Regards,

Chris

I can fully attest that Chris makes some of the best Maple and Honey products available !! YUM

The Spicy maple bar-b-q sauce is one of myself and wife's favorite

23 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

exSW,

Well your probably within a hours drive. So jump in the car head up I-79  and arrive about 10:00 tomorrow morning and we will visit,  talk IH equipment and make some some syrup!

I have about 500 gallons of sap to boil in the morning.

or visit

www.mapleandhoney.com

I think the directions are on the last page of the web site.

Regards,

Chris

Missed this earlier. Today was rather hectic. In fact had a minor transmission leak pop up that wouldn't have been so minor if I'd headed north. But thank you for the generous offer. Google says 68 miles.

exSW,

next time!:)

We have made some syrup. Boiled 1200 gallons of sap. 

With the cold weather back, I have some time to get on here and check IH info. The TD6 starter switch is waiting. But with the temps in the low 20's I think I will pass today. 

Regards

Chris

We are really getting dumped on with snow right now in northern Alberta...almost 2 feet in the last few days.. with a lot more in the forecast...

Fired up the TD9 yesterday to plow the driveway and yard again..  About -10 F here right now .. 

IMG_0362.JPG

North,

Man you picked the right tool for the job, on that driveway! And cold too! Who is the little friend your holding?:) Makes me want to get the TD6 fired up!

Thanks for posting a great picture! KoO will be jealous! The 9 looks real good working!

Regards,

Chris

9 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

North,

Man you picked the right tool for the job, on that driveway! And cold too! Who is the little friend your holding?:) Makes me want to get the TD6 fired up!

Thanks for posting a great picture! KoO will be jealous! The 9 looks real good working!

Regards,

Chris

Thx Chris,

I posted this and a couple other pics on the Coffee Shop Board.. AKwelder recognized the little guy right away as "Flat Stanley".. who gets sent to other countries by school kids to be photographed in different situations, and then gets sent back home.. this guy is visiting us from Northern Ireland.. 

North,

Learned something today! Never had heard of flat Stanley! He has done some traveling and looks right at home on the TD9 plowing the long, cold, snowy, driveway! I think they will like the picture too!

Hunkered down today as the temps are in the low 30''s, and snowing. Too cold for the sap to run. Just don't feel like doing anything, which is about the same thing I did yesterday, so I am continuing to work at nothing again today at the same pace! I am real good at procrastinating!

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Well North got me thinking about the TD6. So I put on the rebuilt starter switch and tried it. NO GO! I guess the starter has went south. So proceeded to pull the starter which is not the most pleasant task on one of these. But most starters afre not made to be changed often. Since I had it off a year ago, it wasn't too bad. Have to take the fuel lines off in that area, to allow it to come out.

Will take it to local starter shop and see if they can repair it.

I know these are hard to come by, so hoping it can be fixed.

Regards,

Chris  

Folks,

Well the starter shop called, sure enough I melted the solder from some internal connections! It would run sometimes and then stop on a bad spot and not try the next time.  So they are going to try to resolder the armature again, where the damage is. It will be under $100 for the repair. FYI They can also get a re-maned armature for $250 plus install. Good to know if this one goes belly up!

I think I was trying the starter too often and not letting it rest enough between crankings? They said it looked like it had been soldered at least one other time in its life too.

Cheryl thinks I spend way to much on this old stuff that I have as toys! Well we cant take it with us and I got to see some nice country on the trip to the starter shop on a bright cold day!

If your going to have one of these units around they have to be able to start! Right?

Regards,

Chris

Good that they may be able to fix it for you Chris..

If they can't fix it, you might want to check Ebay or other such sites with the part numbers you have... you just might find a NOS (New Old Stock) starter, or at least an armature, for a lot less than $250.00... I found a NOS, still in the box, armature for the generator on my TD9 on Ebay, and just recently, a NOS fuel pump for my 1966 IHC Loadstar truck....  the seller was asking $130.00 US for the fuel pump, I offered him $50.00 and he accepted... just have to be aware of the scammers, they are out there, posing as legitimate sellers...

And yes, so nice to have them start right up when you are needing them to..

No more than 30 seconds maximum of continuous cranking is what my TD9 manual book suggests, then let it cool down before trying again..

Grant

Folks,

Starter is finished. Will pick it up tomorrow. If the weather is right I may put it on and try to start it. Yea I may have been trying for more than 30 seconds last time.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Picked up the repaired stater today. Roads were not real good. Several inches of unplowed snow on most roads. May try to get the starter on the TD6 in the next day or so.

Hope things are good out there in RED land.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks for checking in on me!:)

20 degrees F out. Decided to install the starter and hook the fuel lines back up. When I got that completed my hands were cold and I decided to not try starting the 6 tonight.

AGZ0Oxk.jpg

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

Good and the bad! Was being lazy. Decided to try the TD6. hooked the battery up. filled the gas tank, turned on the fuel. It fired up on the third try. I took it for a trip around the drive. 

Back in the home position I tried the stater several times and it worked good, fired right up. Until it didnt! Seems I am getting a short at the switch?? I will have to take the switch off again and see what happened. I think it may have blown the headlight bulbs too??

9ewf6rb.jpg

75pYLFH.jpg

For setting several months the steering and brakes worked good!

0AACc5S.jpg

Qw8PwrI.jpg

3tkV3TI.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Glad to hear it worked good for you when you had it running..

Wondering if you may have a battery cable or ground cable issue that's contributing to your starter problems ..  

IIRC you you mentioned something in the past about your battery cables and doing something with them ..

North,

Yes just another day working with old stuff. I try not to get to excited anymore, just isnt worth it!:) Thanks for checking in on me too!

I dont know, there were sparkies at the switch to starter interface? I may have damaged the rebuilt switch?? Wires, yea I could use better ones too.

Off to cut some slabs for syrup.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Folks,

I have to look at this starter again! Just been really cold and snowy so I have been procrastinating real good! Not sure if I should just take off the switch, or remove the whole starter??

Well, after writing the above I felt I should try to do something! I took the starter switch off and found that the two bakealite plates on each side of the inside had holes burnt in them. After some mods those went back in and the switch back on. The starter would not turn over till i tapped it a few times in the outside. Dozer fired up and  moved some snow. 

Hope things are good out there in RED land!

Regards,

Chris

Looks great Chris, coming along nicely. My starter was acting up recently also. I pulled it and found that one of the wires to one of the field brushes on the commutator end plates was badly frayed and likely causing a short or intermittent start at least. Even though these staters are hard to find because of their reverse mounting and rotation parts are still pretty interchangeable on other aftermarket models. I was able to simply swap out the commutator end plate from a new starter I bought off eBay. Also whenever I have the armature out I give the commutator a good cleaning with some dental tools to clean out the grooves and then a light sanding with some wet sanding paper and CRC electrical cleaner spray just to brighten up the copper a bit. Works for me every time when I start having issues. Rob

Archived