TD6 Dozer/Loader

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks,

I helped our local NAPA meet there sales goal today! Bough wire, in line fuse, toggle switch.

Here is the TD6 with lights. I bet it maybe be 50 years since it had working headlights?

The old switch just wasn't going to cut it. installed simple toggle.

DSC08133.jpg

DSC08130.jpg

We have contact!

DSC08131.jpg

DSC08132.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Wanting to check that new temp gauge accuracy,  found my hand held laser temp indicator. Started the tractor and the initial temp was about 68 deg F. Let it run for 20 minutes or so.   Below the water pump the temp was about 100 deg.The temp above the thermostat area was about 140 deg F when I shut it down. There was good water movement in the top of the radiator when it was cold, so I think the pump was working. But not sure there is a thermostat in there? The temp guage needle reached the same place in the Cold zone.  I am going to leave it alone unless I see something change when I work it. So I still did not really calibrate the guage, But the engine is not over heating at this time.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Rawleigh. I guess I need to take it apart and check for a thermostat at some point. So would the lack of one cause it to run cooler? I thought it might run hotter?

Regards,

Chris

8 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Thanks Rawleigh. I guess I need to take it apart and check for a thermostat at some point. So would the lack of one cause it to run cooler? I thought it might run hotter?

Regards,

Chris

Chris, if your coolant level is good and you can see it through the fill cap, start the engine and watch the coolant. If there is no thermostat the coolant should start swirling right away from the water pump actions. Sounds like that might be happening from what you say. Could be no thermostat or it is stuck open...

And yes, they run much better at the higher temperatures ..... as long as you're not overheating of course ..

Grant 

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, sugarmaker said:

Rawleigh,

Thanks for the info and video of the grease in action.

Regards,

Chris

I have gone to corn head grease for the rollers and idlers on the TD9, as like you I don't use it on a daily basis, and have a couple seals that would leak oil.

The local John Deere dealer had it in stock for less than $4.00 Canadian a tube.. and we don't even have anyone combining corn in this part of the world ...

I replaced the button heads on the rollers with plugs, and take the plug out and insert a grease nipple when greasing them, then put the plugs back in ... a bit of extra work, but not required often, and helps keeps the moisture out of the rollers if you're working where there is water .. 

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, sugarmaker said:

Folks,

Finishing up the evening with some highlights on the status of TD6 work.

DSC08041.jpg

Work on the hole in the bucket:

DSC08042.jpg

Air cleaner removed, very dirty, must have run for years with no oil cup, also I think there is another screen that is missing too?:

DSC08043.jpg

DSC08044.jpg

After some cleaning:

DSC08051.jpg

I have this metal part that looks like it probably had the fine screen prefilter:

DSC08054.jpg

DSC08055.jpg

top end of filter:

DSC08045.jpg

Found a package from McMaster Carr on the garage steps after lunch: So the Diagonal brace was next on the list to install. I used Locktite on the threads in the casting:

DSC08046.jpg

DSC08047.jpg

DSC08048.jpg

Now this was a handful to lift into place, finally had to use the floor jack to support it. The holes had to be reamed to allow the slightly out of position studs to enter. Used never seize on the two pins and drove them home:

DSC08050.jpg

Getting this back end together was a challenge and I see what Tanker means these shim packs are different hole spacing. Worked good to not get them mixed up.

DSC08049.jpg

Was a rielief to move it off the blocks and out of the front yard:

DSC08056.jpg

The lights and the air cleaner maybe it for this summer. It ran good and steering work well, and the hydraulics work as good as before too. Sometimes its hard to remember why we started these projects!:):

Regards,

Chris

Haven't been on the forum for awhile, you're doing a great job on the old girl Chris. You're definitely going to have to come up with a name for her.

Appreciate all the photos of your progress..

Grant,

Thanks for the positive comments! And yes the coolant was moving right away in the top of the radiator. So you and Rawleigh may be right about the thermostat being bad or not existing. That makes good sense.

I will check with John Deere dealer on the Corn head grease. And yes my lower rollers just have plugs also, they will need to be removed and a fitting inserted to apply grease.

Regards,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Folks,

Haven't done anything to the TD6 lately. That may be it for the year. My back is still messed up from the installation of the diagonal brace! Mainly from the chiropractor jumping on mu left hip! Trying to rest my lower back. Sciatic nerve is giving me fits! Anyway I did get a tube of corn head grease given to me. I now need to buy the large grease fitting for the 7/8 buttons.

Regards,

Chris

Yep! Burgh! Thanks! Went brain dead there for a while.:)

Been working on the front entry door for the house.

Need to fire the TD6 up at least once more before the snow flies. Have a couple trees to root out. Not sure this is the right tool but might try it.

Regards,

Chris

Tree toppling is a good workout for your cat, depending on the size of them.  I have just spent the last 3 days pushing 30 or so cottonwoods over.  The biggest were 3 feet across at the butt. You might need to dig out Abit of the root ball to assist, your machine having the loader will be an advantage to reach higher for more leverage. Be careful of falling tops as you have no cage. Have fun

Td9inidaho,

Thanks for the suggestions and safety tip. One is a stump. The other needs pushed to get it to fall away from the electric wires. That one could have some dead branches above it. So I will watch that.

Well we have weather changes today. Went from 90F last two weeks to mid 60"s and lots of wind. Its all good as we start to think about upcoming archery season in Norther Western PA (Erie County) Pretty good buck country too!

That TD6 kicked my butt on this back (SIATIC) thing. Gettin maybe 2 hours of sleep a night.

Regards,

Chris

3 hours ago, cbfarmall said:

I'm not into crawlers and don't really encounter them.  But, I have to say I really enjoyed reading this thread and will continue to follow it.  These gas start diesels are fascinating as is seeing you fight thru pitfalls of old machinery and generally prevail.

Chris B.

ChrisB,

Well I only have one for fun, I'm not really a red cat guy. I like mechanical stuff, old stuff, broken things that need fixed. I just couldn't resist getting this old family tractor running and moving again. Glad you enjoyed the trip so far. If you get a chance to play with one  of these machines try it! They can be a lot of work and demand some money too. But it can bring out the kid in you when doing some dirt moving!:) If it wasn't for this good web site, its members, and a few friends, my TD6 would be setting in the weeds somewhere!

Regards,

ChrisC

Good luck with your tree and stump removal Chris .. how big  are the trees you will be working on ? 

TD9inidaho is so right about the danger of those tree tops coming down on top of you, especially if the tree is dead.. Had one come down right on top of my TD9 canopy this summer.. Would have been a serious situation without that canopy protection..

I'm guessing you are likely a competent chainsaw operator, being the owner of a sugar wood lot .. A couple things you can try if your TD6 won't quite push the trees over .. 

Sounds like one tree may come down on some wires if it falls the wrong way .. If you can't push it over on first attempt you can notch it with your chain saw to fall the way you want it to, and only to a point where it is still stable on its own.. Then push it the way you want it to fall with the TD6 from as high a point as you can reach with your bucket.. 

If direction of fall is not a concern, and getting the stumps with the tree is Important, you can reduce the risk to yourself by falling the tree with your chainsaw in the usual manner. Make your chainsaw cuts as high as you can safely  reach from the ground. If you can't push the piece of tree left standing over with your TD6, you can try pulling it over using a strong chain or cable .. attaching it to the very top of the standing piece. 

Hope it goes well .. play safe,  wear your hard hat, and keep us posted ! 

Grant 

Grant,

This dead maple is about 15 inches in dia. Last year I took down a bigger one with a chain hooked to it. I will try to get some pictures.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Good news/bad news. The tree is down/ sorry no pictures. My son Eric came over and did the saw work. First big tree he has cut.

We strung 60 ft of chain and heavy strap out to the old Allis WD. I couldnt climb on /into the TD6 at this time. That provided the leverage  and control to get it going in the right direction. notched and back cut , and a little tug and it was right where we wanted it.

Will finish bucking and split the big stuff tomorrow. Lot of sleepless nights with this nerve pain down the leg. Probably didnt do any good when i was prying up one half of the trunk to free a pinched saw, the rotten limb pry broke and sent me to the ground in a pile of cut limbs. We will just call that part of the physical therapy session at no charge!:)

Regards,

Chris

"Big Iron" Chris,

Just catching up on your TD project. Good amount of works been done. I think your uncle's laughing, wondering what the heck is he doing...

Take care of that back old boy, you need it...

Todd,

Good talking to you tonight! Yea the Uncle has gotten the last laugh on me on this old IH loader! Yea BIG iron tools required on these units too! I need to fire it up again before winter to see if all the systems and steering function. Greasing the button heads is still on the list of things to do too.  Need a dedicated grease gun (or the old pump station) and a new end fitting for the big buttons.

Regards,

Chris

Archived