66 series cabs

billonthefarm

I know many people hate these cabs. Always want to take them off and put fenders on instead. Well, that's fine but there are days they double the value of the tractor.

imagejpg1_zps4757a6a2.jpg

Right now the 1066 is on the bale processor. I wanted to process some bales this morning before we head into a few days of below zero temps. It was 18f with snow showers and the wind blowing thirty.

imagejpg2_zps186988ad.jpg

I was in my shirt sleeves listening to the country oldies just snug as a bug in the 10. Sure wouldn't have been as enjoyable on the open station 10 with a heat houser or even one of the aftermarket cabs we owned over the years. I just remember days like this and don't cuss these cabs like other people. Just my little rant for a winters Sunday morning.

bill

It's definitely a matter of perspective. Sure, they are noisy and crude if you just stepped out of a Magnum or Challenger or 8000 JD. Gotta remember that lots of the guys who were buying those early cab tractors new started their farming careers with horses and steel wheels. I'm quite certain that they thought it was a godsend to simply be out of the wind and snow.

I have a 1466 with that cab too. Not quite modern by today's standards, but it's what I have available to do the work. Discing, chisel plowing, grain cart etc. Also has a good working AC. I also have a Year a Round equipped 1066 which some people really hate. I really can't justify a Magnum or similar tractor for 220 acres. And my 5288 spends it's time on the planter in the spring.

They are noisy and crude no matter WHAT you just stepped out of. My observation was that the older farmers did not want any cab at all. They preferred being out where they can see, hear, and feel the equipment as it worked. And....they did not like entering and exiting any of the cab tractors of the day and still don't. Especially me now that I am old. It was my observation that the young farmers returning from Vietnam with the good times being enjoyed by the farming community were the buyers of the cab tractors. As they got older, they took them off. Just too unhandy.

When I bought my 1566, it was purchased only as power for a grain vac. I wanted a cab for protection from the winter weather when moving from farm to farm. Got it. happy with it. Not sure I would want to farm with it.

Ron

There is an element of truth in what Ron says, some old timers didn't think they could hear the equipment in a cab. But I recall that theology more about a cab on a combine then a tractor. The Deluxe cab was about as good as anything else available at the time. Warmth in the winter, equipped with air it was cool in the summer. Farmers were buying into the idea of a cab on a tractor in this part of the country when the 66 series came around. But they wished for a better cab whe Deere came out with the sound guard body on the 30 series JD's.

Love my cab on the 1066. Like it better than the 5488 cab. Feel like the 86 and 88 series cabs rear window is too close behind and cannot see the PTO, hitch etc. as well as on the 66.

the only down fall to our modern day cabs on our stx or new style magnums is how to set the heat and a/c they are a pain in the butt.

Well, mine came off but it was beyond repair when I got it (rusted out , broken windows, ac /heat not working at all) . I enjoy doing summer work with out a cab because I too like to hear what is going on around me.

I would like to find a good working 66 cab tractor someday as my operation grows.

But , doing the winter work like you are bill there is no doubt the cab is the way to go

I agree with Bill as well,was plowing snow yesterday with my buddy's 1066 Hydro.We just got done mounting the blade on it & was nice to sit in there without any gloves on.I had been using my 706 earlier that day,open station & not so nice with-30 deg wind chill.Cabs on 66 series were popular in our area,I can count the tractors on one hand without factory cabs...1 or 2 at most.

This has probably been done before but, dad has a 1566 that we gutted and are going to dyno-mat the inside of the cab, also we put dyno-mat under the tinwork thats inside the cab. Its suppose to help with heat and noise. Going to put it under the floor mat. May also tint the windows just a bit to help with sunlight.

They are noisy and crude no matter WHAT you just stepped out of. My observation was that the older farmers did not want any cab at all. They preferred being out where they can see, hear, and feel the equipment as it worked. And....they did not like entering and exiting any of the cab tractors of the day and still don't. Especially me now that I am old. It was my observation that the young farmers returning from Vietnam with the good times being enjoyed by the farming community were the buyers of the cab tractors. As they got older, they took them off. Just too unhandy.

When I bought my 1566, it was purchased only as power for a grain vac. I wanted a cab for protection from the winter weather when moving from farm to farm. Got it. happy with it. Not sure I would want to farm with it.

Ron

I don't know about that Ron. The guys here buying tractors with cabs were the older guys who could afford a new cabbed tractor in the early 70s. The only guys who claimed they couldn't see as well or hear were the smaller guys who couldn't afford one. I only knew of one younger guy with a cabbed tractor back then but he had inherited the farm lock stock and barrel. In 73 my BIL's dad (about 60 years old at the time) got his 2nd tractor with a cab and was trying to find used cabs for his non cab tractors. Don't see anyone around here pulling cabs off unless they are really messed up. I know a guy right now trying to sell an open station 1066 and hasn't had too many interested in it. I myself don't need to be cold or wet to know it's uncomfortable.

Rick

Growing up Dad's big tractor was a 1066 with the delux cab. I thought the heat and air were pretty nice. I learned to cultivate on the 560 and a 4 row fast hitch cultivator. I thought I was in heaven when I got to move up to the 8 row on the 1066 with AC and a radio.

I'm with billonthefarm and most of the other northerners that replied. I'll take a cab over open-station for any winter work...it just plain gets too cold up here and I've put in too much time on a 560 with just a comfort cover to even think about having an open-station for winter use. Comes in handy for spring and fall field work when the wind is still pretty raw or you get rained out.

The 966 was the newest rig we owned up until last year and I've always liked the Deluxe Cabs on em except for mounting a loader.

In the summer...yes I want to hear the baler running, so the rear window comes out of the aftermarket cab on 806 #1. Still have a nice sun shade that way. Being able to hear the baler is important especially with the cheap chinese bearings CNH is using these days. We would've burned up the baler twice in the last couple years if we'd been sitting in a nice A/C cab. But that's a story for another thread...

If i had one with a cab yes I would leave it on. Yeah they are nosiy and not the greatest but they do add value and look cool!

here in central wis. hauling manure and plowing snow is pretty nice with the cab, we do have a neighbor that has 3 66 series and is having a spring auction each one would be an improvement with the cab off, sometimes they are just taken care of that well. however we do have a 1466 without a cab during summer as I have said many times on here nothing better than a summer day driving that tractor,

Both our 1466 and 1566 have cabs yet. Good shape but no heat or air. They are not used as much as used to but it sure is nice when rain catches you or cold windy day! I like the looks better than the cabs 56 series had IMO. Helps sweat some pounds off in summer while mowing ha

If you traded a 560 for a 966 cabbed tractor you would feel like you got a Cadillac. I am always so shocked to see you tundra/midwest guys with all that snow and no cabs!

Archived