Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GT&T

CO 4070 B Transtar II Would like to see the paint schemes and color combo.s

I would like to repaint a CO 4070 B to use to pull a trailer load of IH show tractors and equipment to tractor and antique shows.

Would someone with more computer savvy than me, please post a link that I can look up, that shows the Transtar paint schemes and color combinations. I have seen a brochure on here and I can't seem to pull it back up.

I would like to see any pictures that I can pick a nice pattern for the stripes and color combinations.

I have worked on hundreds of these over a life time and look forward to driving a restored one myself. If you have any parts, or know where there are any, please let me know. Or any salvaged trucks that are " Organ Donors".

If you are working on one of these I would like to see any pictures you may have.

Thank You, GT&T

GT&T, I have a 1987 International/ Navistar interior and exterior color trim book. Books number is CT494. It covers exterior paint and interior trim from the 400-900 series up to the 9300-9600 series. It shows 9 schematics, and 25 color combinations for the 9600 series trucks. Granted it was printed in 1987, but if you would like, I can have my wife print those pages off and I can pm them to you. You may see something that you like.

Thanks for the reply. I would be very grateful if you and your wife would be so kind as to send me a copy of those pictures of the 4070's.

I think it would be very helpful, I'm not looking to make it complicated to paint, but would like to see what it would look like when completed.

GT&T

Fred, I'll try and find my old Transtar II specification guide. It has a bunch of the old color schemes in it. Eason

Eason

Thanks for looking that for me.

I'm working on this Transtar today, and hope it will be as nice looking as your 784 and transplanter. They always told me that what you did on New Years Day you would do all year long.

Fred

post-6713-0-67580700-1420150567_thumb.jp Here is mine. Bee Line motor freight Omaha NE. 400 cummins with jake brake. Will go faster than most sane men will drive. Manual steering and rides very rough.

Heres a cool paint scheme also. I thought of doing somthing similar on my 4300 Transtar

post-64666-0-62415700-1420156529_thumb.j

My fire department has a '79 transtar II fire truck.

It still has it's original paint. Red top and bottom with a white stripe (well, a very wide stripe). I can take a picture next time I'm in Alaska if anyone is interested.

It has a 8V-71 with an allison automatic. It originally had an automatic shutdown feature for low oil pressure/high engine temp. It actually still has it, but I bypassed the actual shutdown part of it. Fire chief really didn't like the idea of a fire truck that could shut itself down.

These types of pictures are just what I was hoping for. Thank you for taking the time to look up the information and posting it.

Baradium, I would sure like to see a Transtar fire truck. I'm a 35 year veteran of the fire service and I have never seen one as a fire truck.

Thank you to all who are kind enough to submit photos. Y'all " Keep those cards and letters comming now, y'hear."

GT&T

These types of pictures are just what I was hoping for. Thank you for taking the time to look up the information and posting it.

Baradium, I would sure like to see a Transtar fire truck. I'm a 35 year veteran of the fire service and I have never seen one as a fire truck.

Thank you to all who are kind enough to submit photos. Y'all " Keep those cards and letters comming now, y'here."

GT&T

I'll make sure to get some pictures of it next time I'm home. It'll be about a week and a half. Interestingly enough, this transtar is our oldest but also fastest engine. It'll push 70mph while most everything else tops out at 55-60 (our bigger tanker, which is a freightliner, tops out at around 45 lol). The ambulances are much faster, but otherwise the only thing that beats it is our DT-466 powered heavy rescue. It doesn't even shift to it's top gear in the transmission until 60mph. We have the speed limiter set to 85 and it has RPMs and power to spare.

I will take the lower lf one on the 2nd page of the broucher ! Our 75 4070 was all solid Med-Blue, just like a same generation Ford tractor pretty much. I thought it looked good. But, I think a white solid line around it's belt would of looked good.

GT&T, sorry, I wasn't able to get a picture of the transtar the last time I had it pulled out of the station. I was doing some maintenance runs and discovered a problem with our water holding tank at the station (we don't have hydrants so we have a 20,000 gallon holding tank to refill trucks with). It got me a bit distracted thawing the big pump setup out.

It'll be april before I'm back up there but I'll still get you a picture. Paint scheme is red top and bottom with a wide white stripe. As an aside, that truck may very well get retired this year. I'm trying to talk the chief into holding onto it for a backup, but it's likely to go away as there is an '85 F9000 6x6 that we'll probably be getting.

The transtar has an 8V-71 and an allison automatic. It's also our fastest engine and will do better than 65mph full of water (it's a twin screw tanker).

Baradium

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate you thinking about me and I'm very interested in seeing the truck. You mentioned that they may be replacing the truck. How long do you think it would take me to drive it to Illinois? :wub: Does it have a sleeper? :rolleyes:

If I filled the tank with some of that Alaskan fuel, could I make it home on a tank full? B) Keep me posted. Just thinking.

GT&T

Baradium

Thank you for getting back to me. I appreciate you thinking about me and I'm very interested in seeing the truck. You mentioned that they may be replacing the truck. How long do you think it would take me to drive it to Illinois? :wub: Does it have a sleeper? :rolleyes:

If I filled the tank with some of that Alaskan fuel, could I make it home on a tank full? B) Keep me posted. Just thinking.

GT&T

Fire trucks don't tend to have sleepers ;) And I'd guess about a week if everything went right and you drove a lot. I did colorado to fairbanks in 4.5 days, planning on taking well over a week for a drive from GA to AK in around a month. Interestingly enough it does have a trailer brake lever and a trailer air valve, both are not hooked up though.

Truck has an engine protection module on it too, shuts the motor down if no oil pressure or overtemp for more than I think 10 seconds (might be a bit more). Chief had me bypass it (rather blow an engine up than shut a good one down early while pumping water to firefighters in a building), but it's just a second wire going from ignition to the shut down solenoid so it could be returned to functioning easily.

I imagine that truck could make it on a water tank filled with fuel... but just the thought of trying to do that makes me queasy.

We're getting the big ford (the local government that had ownership donated it to us), i imagine final disposition for the transtar won't be decided for a little while yet. If you're serious I'll ask the chief ;) Keep in mind that it'll need a head gasket eventually. If it wasn't for that it'd be a lot more likely for us to keep it in service, it's just a lot of money for us even if we do the labor and there are bigger fish for us to fry.

We aren't 100% sure on the tank capacity, we've guessed 2500 gallons. Pump is rated at 1500gpm which means it's a 1750gpm pump or bigger on it...

If it gets taken out of service and stays up here there are unfortunately only two realistic outcomes, either it gets parked to rot behind a station somewhere or it goes to auction and a mining outfit buys it to cut apart. The miners love to cut the engine, transmission, and pump out and end up with a high flow pump for relatively cheap. It's that kind of activity that keeps us from getting any apparatus that goes to actual auction up here, they have much deeper pockets than we do.

Ok, here are the pictures of the Transtar. GT&T, we just recieved a 6x6 tanker donated from another department and it sounds like we're getting another 6x4 from them as well soon. With a new truck coming via a grant this year as well the transtar does look to get retired this year. Chief said to make an offer if you want it. If it stays up here it'll probably get cut up so a gold miner can rob the pump from it. We'd keep it in service but it'll need a head gasket eventually and we have better uses for the money unfortunately. It's currently still an in service truck for us. Tires were replaced a few years ago and are in the 90-95% range or better

11053361_10102513156411585_6429251360007

11149401_10102513157599205_1711390121384

11148499_10102513159355685_9114639946271

10933762_10102513160797795_4846246579340

17291_10102513161995395_7907452037068158

Yes, there is marker showing what most of the valves actually operate. The truck has 2 top mounted hose reels, 1 hosereel in the engineer's compartment, 3 crosslay preconnects, rear outlets, and multiple side outlets.

What a pretty ,pretty truck , GT Keep us up to date if there is a roadtrip in the making :)

What a pretty ,pretty truck , GT Keep us up to date if there is a roadtrip in the making :)

I have room to store it for a while if someone can talk their way into it but can't pick it up right away.

For a refresher, this truck has a turbocharged 8V-71 and a 4 spd allison automatic. 1500gpm certified pump so I think that makes it a 1750 optimal.

Baradium

Thank you for posting the pictures. I have been looking for your location on the map and cannot find it. Can you give me a location of a larger town that I can reference for an area? Can you PM me? It will tahe me a while to respond, it is corn planting time here in Illinois, and every thing is going wide open.

That is a very nice looking truck.

GT&T

Salcha is outside of Fairbanks, Alaska (about 30 miles southeast). Salcha zip code is 99714 if you want to google maps it. Coming south from AK you might even get a good deal to have it shipped as a backhaul since most of the freight is northbound between Alaska and CONUS.

GT&T there is a guy on international harvester trucks Facebook page selling a transtar.73 4070a VT903 with a 13 speed. His name is Wes Van Pelt out of Harrisonburg VA.

You could buy Wes's Transtar and then all you need is a lowboy to go get the firetruck, get a load going north and use the engine as your backhaul!

I can get you in touch with Wes if you do decide you want to talk to him.