Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

73IH810

'67 1200B Project

I do enjoy finding NOS parts. Snagged me a parking brake assembly for 40 bucks to replace the rusted heap I have.

IMG_4971.JPG

Decided to start on the front axle. The left side seemed to have the most play in it so that is the side I began with. Tore down pretty easy. I was told that these axles came from a low mileage truck that was never registered and stayed on one farm. From the looks of the truck body I saw and the internals of this axle, I believe it. Upper king pin, bushing, and race are reusable. The lower king pin is good, the bearing race is good but the bearing itself had a lot of crude in it and was more loose than I would like.

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

IMG_4979.JPG

The front spindle looked to have no wear and the threads were all in good shape. The front axle had no problems in the splines and the Spicer u-joint is in really good shape with all its needle bearings in place. I went ahead and ordered wiper/seals for the closed knuckles, lower bearings/races, as well as the 4WD hub seals. The other D44HD axle I have laying around and new brake and bearings put in it, so I am going to transfer those parts over to this one.

IMG_4980.JPG

IMG_4981.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

Is it just the picture -- the bronze top bearing in your picture looks to be a bit deformed where the kingpin goes in the splines ??

Did your truck come with the plastic cover over the E-brake assembly ,  (has a "brake on" indicator light built in it .??)

10 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Is it just the picture -- the bronze top bearing in your picture looks to be a bit deformed where the kingpin goes in the splines ??

Did your truck come with the plastic cover over the E-brake assembly ,  (has a "brake on" indicator light built in it .??)

Kevin, good eye. I had to look again and found the bushing in the spline area to be wallowed out. Going to look at my extra axle and see what condition its bushing are in. Also checked a lower bearing on the splines of upper king pin and if I filed just a little around the splines, I could replace the race/bushing with a race/bearing instead. 

My truck as a brake light that is actuated by a push button mounted behind the brake assembly. No cover on it though. 

After looking a bit closer at my kingpins, here is what I found. If I take the kingpin cap off the other side, the splines look much deeper and sit in the bronze bushing that looked deformed, just fine with no play. If I put the same bronze bushing on the left side kingpin steering arm, there is a little play but not much. Where there is a lot of play is where the kingpin spins are pressed into the steering arm. The splined shaft is actually loose with about 1/4" of play.

I have been searching online but can't seem to find a used kingpin arm for a 27, 30, or small knuckle 44. The kingpin arm on the other axle I have was welding onto the knuckle, so it is not a usable piece. How screwed am I on this? My thought is to clean it out and then run a bunch of JB weld in it, I dont know if I can MIG weld it in place without filling up the splined area that contacts the bushing. Though, I could weld it in place and then grind the splines off and just use a bearing/race in the top....

IMG_5002.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

Well, I got tied up starting another restoration but now back on my 1200! Just got in an almost new CTS-2300 manual so now I will start on assembling my front axle today after I have fabricated a few obsolete parts. It also helps that the heat and humidity have all but disappeared here for the next few weeks.

image1.JPG

Dang, !!!   That's a nice looking book ..  Must of been owned by a lil ol lady only read it on sunday :)

38 minutes ago, Kevingweq said:

Dang, !!!   That's a nice looking book ..  Must of been owned by a lil ol lady only read it on sunday :)

No marks on any pages and no notes in the notes sections. I don't know who had this but they must have became a Ford mechanic after buying it!

Kevin, any idea who I can contact about finding a left steering arm with the king pin? I welded mine and machined it to accept a bearing, but it cracked at the base of the king pin again as I pressed the bearing on. I am thinking that I need a new/used arm altogether.