Life in Alaska

AKwelder

5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

A 410 might just anger a wolf. I like a 410 but it isn’t meant for distance or power. 

True, but if she pops off a couple rounds the they will clear out, they are smart and disappear after gun shots.  The wife is focused on a shot gun so the round doesn’t travel, I think since our main problem is they will be coming into the yard after our animals your likely to hit innocent bystanders like our dogs, but she wants a shot gun ready so ok.

i had time and I was trolling gun broker.com last night.  Wow.  20 ga it is, good grief. A Remington was north of $1100 in 410, they did have a brand I had never heard of. I can’t remember the name but it was something like TVR? 

For myself I think I will be dialing in an AR very soon.   I have been think of it for quite awhile and this is a great time to do it, winter and all.  I would think a hollow point .223 is very well suited for this application, and they make every sight imaginable, 

If she had stronger wrists I would just buy her a judge pistol, but I don’t think that will end well. If she is hesitant to practice with it because it hurts her wrists I think it would be a bad combination 

• 3 weeks later...

Ah....they say its coming here by Monday supposedly 

Forecast....serious...

"Winter storm warming.  Rain to 40" of snow by Tuesday.  Temps from anywhere from 8 to 37 expected....stong NE winds with some SW winds.  You really should stock up on food and water in case the power goes out for 1 to 8 hours and you are trapped..or not...by the heavy .5 to 5" of snow Sunday.  By Wednesday expect something different"

Welcome to western Washington January 

6 minutes ago, IH766 said:

What the h*ll is going on in Mcgrath?! 

Windchills not actual temp. 

-20°F here this morning. Got a flat tire that’s off the bead on a inside dual on the semi waiting for me to deal with. Thinking I should’ve just stayed in bed? it’s still seated on the inside but is off in between so I can’t ecen get the blast tank in there. Hopping either will seat it as a last resort. 

i dont envy you guys at all - good grief thats cold we rarely see those temps here only on an Arctic Blast for a few days then its long gone as well as snow, its usually here a week or so at best then gone 

were to get some colder weather and snow here 1 to 3 inches tonight and 3 to 7  tomorrow with near blizzard conditions, the drama of these forecasters cracks me up, when i lived in MT and SD they never really estimated inches of snow especially in MT or the actual Temps, the station i watched in MT would say well its going to be a 1 dog, 2 dog or 3 dog night to keep warm and its gonna snow, its gonna snow quite a bit or its going to DUMP on us so be prepared. Thats all their drama amounted to there. 

The sissies here in MO run to the Grocery store like its the end of the world here 3 days in advance, I swear the News stations get kickbacks from the grocery stores for the drama they create. 

I have lived in SNOWY areas off/on my entire life and only a couple times have i actually been snowed in to the extent we couldnt get out to town for whatever we needed. You dont have to drive on the roads to get around folks, there are other options LOL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Windchills not actual temp. 

-20°F here this morning. Got a flat tire that’s off the bead on a inside dual on the semi waiting for me to deal with. Thinking I should’ve just stayed in bed? it’s still seated on the inside but is off in between so I can’t ecen get the blast tank in there. Hopping either will seat it as a last resort. 

No, actual temp

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, IH766 said:

What the h*ll is going on in Mcgrath?! 

Not unheard of. Wind chill at work a few years back was absurd, 30 or 40 mph wind and then 45* below.  Look it up. Very cold wind chill

34 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

No, actual temp

I’m confused Ak(not the first time lol) at the top of the pic it said current wind chills and showed McGrath at -70 Surely that’s not the ambient temp.  Awfully cold up there if it is that’s for sure  

Didnt warm up a whole lot here today. Didn’t get far with the semi either. Gave up trying to get the tire inflated and even tried to get it off. After the impacts froze up we said to heck with it and headed for town. Ended up turning around as the truck was loosing power. Either gelling or some ice in a fuel line I think. New filters and some de icer and it’s running fine now. Was good on the way home too but I wasn’t prepared to chance it. Lots of smoke from the exhaust today though. 

84F4ACB5-D973-4C10-86F0-A55F93E3242B.jpeg

48 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I’m confused Ak(not the first time lol) at the top of the pic it said current wind chills and showed McGrath at -70 Surely that’s not the ambient temp.  Awfully cold up there if it is that’s for sure  

Didnt warm up a whole lot here today. Didn’t get far with the semi either. Gave up trying to get the tire inflated and even tried to get it off. After the impacts froze up we said to heck with it and headed for town. Ended up turning around as the truck was loosing power. Either gelling or some ice in a fuel line I think. New filters and some de icer and it’s running fine now. Was good on the way home too but I wasn’t prepared to chance it. Lots of smoke from the exhaust today though. 

84F4ACB5-D973-4C10-86F0-A55F93E3242B.jpeg

I missed that, I copied the wrong picture. It was 70 below over the holidays along the Yukon, and I mixed up pictures.  Thank you for the catch. An we had zero wind at 41 below in that picture 

14 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

I missed that, I copied the wrong picture. It was 70 below over the holidays along the Yukon, and I mixed up pictures.  Thank you for the catch. An we had zero wind at 41 below in that picture 

-70 is just downright nasty. We had a stretch here years ago where it was down to -60 something but that’s very rare here thankfully. Although once you get below -30-40 it don’t really matter anymore it’s just plain cold lol.  

Brother still  wants me to go sledding tomorrow but I’m not sure I’m up for it this time. Siting in the warm house or working in the warm shop sounds like a better idea lol.  Just went out and warmed my truck up again in case I do go. Have it plugged in now again and next to Dad’s truck in case I have to boost it. Didn’t want to go tonight.  I’ve got synthetic oils all throughout but it was still like driving a brick. 

7 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

-70 is just downright nasty. We had a stretch here years ago where it was down to -60 something but that’s very rare here thankfully. Although once you get below -30-40 it don’t really matter anymore it’s just plain cold lol.  

Brother still  wants me to go sledding tomorrow but I’m not sure I’m up for it this time. Siting in the warm house or working in the warm shop sounds like a better idea lol.  Just went out and warmed my truck up again in case I do go. Have it plugged in now again and next to Dad’s truck in case I have to boost it. Didn’t want to go tonight.  I’ve got synthetic oils all throughout but it was still like driving a brick. 

I normally have a limit of Zero to ride.  The forecast has to have something over zero or it becomes to much effort for little fun

my poor truck is not happy, wife’s car stays in the garage and I have a welding table covered in crap in my spot. Truck gets plugged in and does well to -50, haven’t had this one colder then that, and really don’t want to

From the Internet 

BDAB37B2-765D-4C02-9E4C-119F05392BBB.thumb.jpeg.3d05109e6e29d3909538fa826215dffd.jpeg

A bit cold in the outhouse, can you say good morning 

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Our oldest son woke us up this morning before 4am, smoke alarm going off.  Power had gone out and out pellet stove had smoldered and filled the house with smoke.  

now I have our small generator running on the back step powering a pellet stove, it’s below zero, and a kerosene lantern is burning on the table.  Interesting morning

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/25/2019 at 8:46 AM, Sledgehammer said:

Semi auto 410s have always been high. The noise being as big a part as the shot makes sense. You don’t want her scared to shoot it, that’s for sure. 

Ended up buying short short shells for my 12 gauge for now, they are fun

1 minute ago, Wes806 said:

Sorry to hear hope it gets back on soon.

Me to, I am sure it will be fine, they have tripped transmission line and are in route.  I hope it’s not a downed transmission like.  We could be out all day again.  

23 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve seen them but never shot any

I was pleasantly surprised, they cycled through an 870 just fine.  Had very little recoil, and I was able to keep the bead on a busted milk crate and chase it around the range with somewhat rapid fire.  

Powers on, furnace is playing catch up.  

glad I always have a generator and fuel ready.  

• Like 3

Back from Prudhoe Bay, it was cold. Ambient temp was in from 30 below to 45 below, wind some days, wind chill was serious.  brrr

It is 10 below this morning, so i will need to get started with a few items. hoping to work on getting a water station going this week, and work on it.  Been taking the boys shooting with 22's. good practice 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cold here this morning.  -24 here on the hill, forecasted for -30’s in the valley.  

Weather service just released the fact it was the coldest winter in 44 years, and it’s been fairly miserable. Hoping for a quick spring,