Life in Alaska

AKwelder

I would prefer to use weights and skip the fluid, I have one set of weights on the 230, and two on the Super C.  I might move all the weights to the 460 since it’s the winter plowing tractor, which is the only work I have for it.  The Super C is used on the sickle mower so I don’t see the lack of weights being a problem.  The 230 is used on the wagon, so I am not happy about taking the weights off,  but worse case I can move them each season, oh joy

4 hours ago, bitty said:

Sneaking them back in carry on luggage? I would prefer the weights as well because of corrosion

I wish, I have one set of weights at dads in Minnesota, I was looking at buying a set of spilt weights off Craigslist in St. Cloud next week when me and the boy go down, and maybe see if I can find a second set for three total,  Maybe shipping them back with fastenall.  

I wonder how much weight I need to hang on the 460 to keep winter traction with chains?  Or maybe I need to make a steel mold for concrete?

Steel mold for concrete is probably the most economical way for you to get extra weight ........ as long as you can find someone to fabricate and weld 

;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bitty said:

Steel mold for concrete is probably the most economical way for you to get extra weight ........ as long as you can find someone to fabricate and weld 

;)

I can ask around.  Maybe the crazy neighbor ?

• Haha 3

Just make sure you use thick enough steel ( and tie it together good enough) depending on how or what you do. We had a 55 gallon drum will a three point set up from the early '80s and the three point attachment wasn't tied in well enough. Weather ended up being too much and the top link attachment part broke out and now it's pretty much useless

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Just make sure you use thick enough steel ( and tie it together good enough) depending on how or what you do. We had a 55 gallon drum will a three point set up from the early '80s and the three point attachment wasn't tied in well enough. Weather ended up being too much and the top link attachment part broke out and now it's pretty much useless

We have a 36 inch pipe job coming up, two sections 5 inch deep with a framework inside with sleeved holes so you could bolt it on ?  The 36” should be about 450# when it’s filled with concrete 

I wish I could get some drops of that pipe......

Good plan. You use a rear blade on that tractor in the fast hitch correct? Or do you have a loader? I forget.  If your fasthitch is open you can always take and build a weight to hook in your fast hitch that way you can unhook it easily certain times of the year when unwanted. 

Yes, I run a rear blade off the fast hitch.  I would love to send out some drops, but the mailman is kind of picky. ??

i think they want almost a buck a pound to ship the weights 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of wheel weights over loading tires, especially loaded with calcium chloride. Beet juice OK.

For one of the loaders I had I used a 55 gallon plastic drum. I cut holes for a draw bar through it and welded up a top link arrangement and left it at the local concrete company for them to fill with waste. Didn't cost much and the plastic drum slid and was easy to move around when not on that loader. It was an IHC industrial with a three point that I sometimes used with a York rake.

I got the new wedges today, and new bolts & nuts.  Big difference, set the tire, hung the tire chains on it send set her back on her own feet.  I need to do some clean up but I should be able to warm things up tomorrow and get some plowing done.  

When I get back I will need to remove the fluid from the other side,

Are you doubling up on the usage of the calcium as a ice melt ? 

21 minutes ago, bitty said:

Are you doubling up on the usage of the calcium as a ice melt ? 

I will be, and with the added benefit of weed control.  

The shack I built to house the 460 that this wonderful adventure is happening within is now little different from your lagoon.  The tube being shredded really reduced my chances of keeping things contained, at one point I was using a wet vac to pick up puddles of calcium.   

So trails of melted slush it is

Took the tractor out, used it to pull off the hard pack and open up the lower lot, where now the BIL lives, And hence forth BIL translates to Bother-in-law Is Lazy. But that is another vent.   Worked ok, I did notice some wheel hoop looking for traction, and I still have one tire loaded.  So more weight it is.  Maybe I can come up with 600# each side reasonably?   The more I think about it the more I wonder, sigh, this can get expensive 

On on the way back I stopped at the new neighbors, thier father (I assume) keeps the drive way shoveled.  It’s on a hill so I peeled off the hard pack for them. He came out and thanked me,  nice guy.   10-15 years older than BIL and keeps the drive shoveled.  Grrrrr.   

Just rolled in at Mom & dads in Minnesota, you all got some snow

4 hours ago, Guy in MN said:

Yeah I would help if you push the snow

Thanks dad

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Made it home last night.  On my way north there was a red sunrise

9CF2ACA2-E603-4817-9DAF-66C477203BB6.thumb.jpeg.f8e4270faef2293cabc3144bd41df6a1.jpeg

north of the brooks range

184D5EA6-22FC-4254-A9D1-3E72C40C3262.thumb.jpeg.24ec5c53798d59216a132138482c9963.jpeg

headed home

C65D3D86-08CA-49A4-AC59-A05AA04FA603.thumb.jpeg.dfd8107cd3d8bb88142c641a595606fa.jpeg

and worse81EB4EFC-73D7-420A-B0C1-3127C96F42D1.thumb.jpeg.932d9912c2c241286c83d032e3fbee40.jpeg

and a picture from Facebook, I have taken a few shots of this stretch of road myself, but man, they never look this good

55EF5290-A9B1-4A52-8388-8822EE62B295.thumb.jpeg.5380bdf59bcbdcb366aa4d27a30237ea.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine is in to photography, and works hard to capture the Northern lights. This is a picture, one of many, she took.

D18C8D1F-9752-49C9-BEE6-B5CE2AED565D.thumb.jpeg.9fa62100bd57df40de239bf47c41b74a.jpeg

this was last night from her house.  This is what the northern lights look like here

• Like 4

And does any one recognize what model post driver this is on Craig’s list?

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/grd/d/eielson-afb-hydraulic-post-pounder/6847355512.html

Shots for when they delete the posting 

CCAC6EDC-6EC8-4EEF-B73E-50D6D3ACCE7D.thumb.png.fde9bd5204b219ac01255e8f9dcb061d.png

CE06F1E5-722D-492B-A665-567073B3D58F.thumb.jpeg.bd016fe2bb555d0854ff5fd7f375b4c1.jpeg

C5042AAC-8489-497A-A9D6-86F952224203.thumb.jpeg.f4468a80785cb69490eebae09114e720.jpeg

3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

And does any one recognize what model post driver this is on Craig’s list?

https://fairbanks.craigslist.org/grd/d/eielson-afb-hydraulic-post-pounder/6847355512.html

Shots for when they delete the posting 

CCAC6EDC-6EC8-4EEF-B73E-50D6D3ACCE7D.thumb.png.fde9bd5204b219ac01255e8f9dcb061d.png

CE06F1E5-722D-492B-A665-567073B3D58F.thumb.jpeg.bd016fe2bb555d0854ff5fd7f375b4c1.jpeg

C5042AAC-8489-497A-A9D6-86F952224203.thumb.jpeg.f4468a80785cb69490eebae09114e720.jpeg

I thought it looked like a Ezee-On. Now I see the sticker that says it is. Lots of post pounders around here. Probably 3 or 4 different brands setup identical to that. Maybe all built in the same place 

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

I thought it looked like a Ezee-On. Now I see the sticker that says it is. Lots of post pounders around here. Probably 3 or 4 different brands setup identical to that. Maybe all built in the same place 

That’s what I thought at first too without seeing any stickers.  Paint scheme gave it away. 

Beautiful shot of the northern lignts. Haven’t seen them a lot here lately. 

Thank you gentlemen,  is there any spots to really look at when buying?  

1 hour ago, AKwelder said:

Thank you gentlemen,  is there any spots to really look at when buying?  

Broken welds on hammer, cracks, worn slide on hammer odd wear. All three hardest to fix, the rest is just hoses and bushings. Ive never been around a ezeeon so that's just drivers in General.

Post drivers literally beat themself to death.