Life in Alaska

AKwelder

Worked hard this weekend. And didn’t take many pictures. A friend lives in Valdez where it is not unheard of to see 400 inches of snow.  Snow removal is a big deal and he asked for help fabricating a snow push. His design

the steel and getting started

5A92F270-95EE-4378-BD8B-D8F8246E2520.thumb.jpeg.12f1c1da86c45da1aac40c5880ac2301.jpeg

Many hours later

CD682004-D7EF-4024-AD1F-4BF4DEF0F01A.thumb.jpeg.40d506e0b6c6415a6bc809c01cfe853f.jpeg

Test fit

9C8AA03B-890B-470E-ABD2-679F893E3698.thumb.jpeg.f1763e15eeb648b89ee4e33d32f6d782.jpeg

It’s not welded out, he will finishing welding it and add the side plates, but it is fitted up.

then I headed home

A70E1988-AF63-4B10-BF1A-36B5BCBC942E.thumb.jpeg.807ff17ac72f4f715df80c024c63fc68.jpeg

418C79DB-B925-4D4E-90A0-52E7EFFA212B.thumb.jpeg.433b240d823cbf76438356ff49f90405.jpeg

yeah, poor weather.  But some of the places I had seen at 40 below on Friday were now mid thirties above less than 48 hours later.  I am not home and made it home for diner

• 2 weeks later...

We got hit by a warm spell. So I turned the heat on in the tractor tent, I came back to find the the hitch cylinder leaking, again.  Seems the fluid heated up and expanded enough to blow one of the orings.  So I removed the cylinder and worked and it is working again.  We also dropped the loader bucket and removed the press in grease zerks and replaced them with threaded ones.  I am not impressed with the press in zerks. 

After all all of that I got all the snow moved,  cleaned out and moved all the trucks and all.  Sure is better to have things cleaned up and the white mixed up so you can see definition. 

• Like 2

Got some more bee hives put together and painted 

27A1FFD7-7DBD-4C70-BDA5-1F4182B7D205.thumb.jpeg.94d1f2db7cf87a3e8327bc0f674c9fa8.jpeg

also worked the honey do list, made a steep staircase for the cabin sweet britches is building.  Cleaned up, hauled trash, and all the other little things. 

I also fired up two of the sleds.   Maybe some fun is coming our way

• Like 3

Around here we have trouble with black bears getting into hives in the spring. My friend hires honey bees to pollinate his blueberries and they put two charged fences around them. What's your plan for honey? How well do they over winter there?

2 hours ago, New Englander said:

Around here we have trouble with black bears getting into hives in the spring. My friend hires honey bees to pollinate his blueberries and they put two charged fences around them. What's your plan for honey? How well do they over winter there?

We live in fairbanks so any bears end up being a nuisance before they get to us and moved or eliminated.   If I move the hives out of the area I will need to do some pondering.  

I hope to do this with my boy.  We had a couple hives last year and he was very interested and engaged, so we are doing more this year.  I like the idea of doing something with my young teenager every week. I will sell and gift the honey to attempt to pay back the reoccurring expenses, but we know how that goes

regarding overwinter.  Right now most of Alaska kills the bees off in the fall and buy a new colonies from the almond fields every spring. There have been some success over wintering in the interior and I hope to try it in a few years if I can keep at it.  

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile, anyways.  A couple weeks back I went to plow and the tractor had a flat tire.  Had some leaking calcium fluid, soooo, I started looking for parts, found a set of tubes in town, which suprised the heck out of me, and even found an off brand set of tires.  8 ply Samson tires, in town.  I would have bet money against all of that.

So today after a few errands and chores I got started

92655F4B-F5EE-45C4-92EB-B7C8B852C95C.thumb.jpeg.1ad213dba71c78fc03f45867f4ea1b83.jpeg

ended up buying new jack stands

Slide hammer and pry bars, I really need to buy some tire bars

9BFFA982-06D4-4AE1-9848-3CF9D623E9B0.thumb.jpeg.df8d4cb9c0d08a6111c4e23bc4814692.jpeg

Found the problem, the tube had a hole in it

41C24C9E-B363-47D0-B484-D6783DED7E1E.thumb.jpeg.2bc203dc70f82034d0ec209020c88cd0.jpeg

Now I have a spot in the driveway that will never have weeds, plenty of salt there, oh well

Tomorrow maybe I can get a remount, and get things back together.  

On my way back to the house with two new tire bars.  Let’s see how this goes

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

You know here you buy and they install.....but were in civilization your in Fairbanks...???

What size are they?

They are 13.6-38.  I remounted the old tire with tube today.  I checked and they would have come out, or I could have run them in.  Neither was cheap.  

I think I will have a couple more Advil and wonder off to a hot shower.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You should have a five gallon bucket of "tire soap" it makes it easier to get mounted and less likely to rip a tire when things are difficult

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bitty said:

You should have a five gallon bucket of "tire soap" it makes it easier to get mounted and less likely to rip a tire when things are difficult

I think I will pick some up,  not a common job for me

2 hours ago, AKwelder said:

I think I will pick some up,  not a common job for me

These are what we have used. It is thick grease consistently and can mount a tubeless tire and reclaim 99% back in the bucket and reuse later 

IMG_20190227_121026584.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MTO said:

KY will work also but pricey in 5s....

I am not sure if I should be confused or try to control my laughing 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MTO said:

KY will work also but pricey in 5s....

Just don’t tell me how you know......or"........

dang 

• Haha 2

So playing on the Internet, it appears that loaded 13.6-38 tires can run a little over 500# each.   So if I hang three wheel weights on each side I can skip the fluid?   

Me and the boy boy land in Minnesota Monday night, maybe I need to try and find some weights?

• Like 1

Sneaking them back in carry on luggage? I would prefer the weights as well because of corrosion

• Haha 1

If you're going to load them use a beet juice product - no corrosion plus if you do get a flat it doesn't hurt anything. When that concentration of calcium chloride spills nothing will grow for years.

• Like 1

Agree with beet juice if you want them loaded. Every time you have a flat you are pumping back and forth the fluid no matter what type of fluid it is. This makes iorn weight much better in areas that you can afford to pay for the weights