AKwelder

Life in Alaska

12 minutes ago, db1486 said:

I like it lol. That would be fun!

And how,  

Along the same lines as my earlier question------does the Iditarod dog sled race follow a recognized trail------or, are they allowed to take cross country short cuts???

All interesting to an old codger from way down south.

DD

9 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Along the same lines as my earlier question------does the Iditarod dog sled race follow a recognized trail------or, are they allowed to take cross country short cuts???

All interesting to an old codger from way down south.

DD

They post a trail that is to be followed for the Iditarod (and check points with mandatory layovers). It is best described as 150 years ago in rural America they had trails to and from everywhere, most weren't maintained roads but it was the route and by it being traveled they kept the way clear.  Also rivers are the true Alaskan trails, we run them on sled and dog sled in the winter and with boats in the summer

They might go a few miles down river, then take a few miles of trail, cut across the lake for a mile, onto a trail for awhile, then another river, and so on.  There are volunteers that post markers along the trail for the races

"rivers are the true Alaskan trails"

Good way of thinking about it.

I am along the Mississippi River which has historically always been a major navigation/transportation artery for the nation (and still is a major transportation channel with heavy barge traffic).

Back in the 1800's-----the Natchez Trace was started as a short cut land route between Nashville, Tn and Natchez, Ms.  The route was travelled so much by foot, wagon, and horseback that you can still see the worn down original trail in certain places.

The paved Natchez Trace is now a national parkway for automobile, motorcycle, and bicycle traffic------but no horses (even though horses are what developed the original trail).

I met two horseback riders from up near Nashville when they passed by me on their way to Natchez back in 2016.  They had planned to ride the Natchez Trace------but were not allowed to.  They in turn-----travelled the much further old "river route" which brought them by me.

One of the riders admitted that their friend Jack Daniels played a major role in planning their trip-------but Jack didn't say anything about horses not being allowed on the Trace!!!!;)

Live and learn.  Give us another few years and there will be more regulations.  Enjoy the Alaskan frontier while it's available--------and keep us posted along the way.

DD

And I see that while I've been gone someone's managed to run Sam's Club out of Alaska.

Seriously though, what is the thought process to a no notice shutdown like that with employees finding out when there are guards at the building in the morning?  

2 hours ago, Baradium said:

And I see that while I've been gone someone's managed to run Sam's Club out of Alaska.

Seriously though, what is the thought process to a no notice shutdown like that with employees finding out when there are guards at the building in the morning?  

yeah, the wonderful business practices of the big box stores. 

3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

yeah, the wonderful business practices of the big box stores. 

And a lot of trucking companies over the years. BTDT.

Dennis

Not something you see everyday

C6273982-C36B-4742-A8E1-17338A71DEBC.thumb.jpeg.d654befba7da8b75a289062ef0dedb7a.jpeg

vehicle manufacters doing winter testing.  They want to keep it a secret. 

10 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Not something you see everyday

C6273982-C36B-4742-A8E1-17338A71DEBC.thumb.jpeg.d654befba7da8b75a289062ef0dedb7a.jpeg

vehicle manufacters doing winter testing.  They want to keep it a secret. 

A common sight here in MI. Saw a GM truck under wraps broke down/stopped along the highway last week. Could you tell who the MFG of the car is?

7 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

A common sight here in MI. Saw a GM truck under wraps broke down/stopped along the highway last week. Could you tell who the MFG of the car is?

Nope, I didn't get the name on it, 

This is a picture the guys are sharing so I won't claim it as current, but it sure has been cold so who knows 

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.77b8a8019307dfc00fcd42ae68fda0be.JPG

its has been a bit miserable.  This is just down the road 100 miles or so

YIPPEY its 15 below this morning.  Oh well it was kinda nice after last week and it should be colder tomorrow.  I spent yesterday helping the wife with her desire to turn plywood into saw dust in her quest to make a shelf and working on my 1990 F250 from years gone by.  The plate expired in 2010, and it is leaking diesel at the injectors, the charge lights on, and the heater isn't blowing and it need some TLC

I took the alternator in last weekend and had it checked, it was good, so i tightened the belt and replaced the really old and corroded voltage regulator, (I also spent some time cleaning up a few of the grounds from the batteries)  and we have a success.  We started last weekend changing the injector return lines out and installed a new set of Viton O-rings. Finished up with my boy last night and that seems to be good.  When i went to check why it was not blowing air I took out the blower motor, and it slowly turned, so I opening up the dash and found a melted switch and pigtail, but no power there.  so I am hunting gremlins today

anyone know where the 90 F250 blower gets its power from?

It's going to be the fuse in your fuse box. And I'm not being facetious. I was thinking I could provide you with a wiring diagram, but the online database that I normally use seems to be reducing the amount of available files for older vehicles. I do have a copy of the heater a/c wiring for a '95 f250, but it's PDF so I can't post it.

On 1/27/2018 at 11:48 AM, AKwelder said:

This is a picture the guys are sharing so I won't claim it as current, but it sure has been cold so who knows 

IMG_0408.thumb.JPG.77b8a8019307dfc00fcd42ae68fda0be.JPG

its has been a bit miserable.  This is just down the road 100 miles or so

hoLy baLls!

36 minutes ago, chip man said:

It's going to be the fuse in your fuse box. And I'm not being facetious. I was thinking I could provide you with a wiring diagram, but the online database that I normally use seems to be reducing the amount of available files for older vehicles. I do have a copy of the heater a/c wiring for a '95 f250, but it's PDF so I can't post it.

PM sent

33 minutes ago, MTO said:

hoLy baLls!

yeah, kinda hard to breath.  and your balls are sucked up so tight you can't find them at that temp

I don't know how you take it. I'm in Anchorage now and it's zero. We get a few negative numbers in coastal NH but AK interior numbers are just breathtaking! Do even gasoline engines start?

1 minute ago, New Englander said:

I don't know how you take it. I'm in Anchorage now and it's zero. We get a few negative numbers in coastal NH but AK interior numbers are just breathtaking! Do even gasoline engines start?

if they are not plugged in (and we have more than a block heater on them) almost nothing will start after 30 below. And if it does you really wish it hadn't latter.  

Here in Fairbanks it isn't that bad, as they say it is a dry cold and we don't get much wind, so you can at least dress warm.   Up north and in Delta Junction they have wind, that is bu far the worst.  When its that cold the wind will freeze your skin so fast that it is almost like a burn, frost bite is in less than a minute at some conditions

I'm hoping that's posted with the windchill. If not dam you need to get outa there lol.  Cooling off for a couple days here then it's supposed to bounce back up to thawing temps for one day then right back to -30 temps. Been horrible this winter for temp swings.  Cousins are up here from southern sask. They're about 4 hours away. -10°F here and it was 32°F there.  No snow there either. Closing in on 2' here now. 

We had a full lunar eclipse to night.  Just going away.  It was also a blue moon, and a close moon.  Some period of time since  the last time alol three happened,  it was neat to see.   Everyone else went back to bed

and it warmed up, we are on three below, 

On 1/28/2018 at 11:54 AM, poor farmer/logger said:

I'm hoping that's posted with the windchill. If not dam you need to get outa there lol.  Cooling off for a couple days here then it's supposed to bounce back up to thawing temps for one day then right back to -30 temps. Been horrible this winter for temp swings.  Cousins are up here from southern sask. They're about 4 hours away. -10°F here and it was 32°F there.  No snow there either. Closing in on 2' here now. 

I am pretty sure that is NOT the wind chill

Yikes -40 is bad enough. Can't imagine almost doubling it. 

All clouded over here this morning so no sign of the moon.

Well the old truck is running, it needed a new voltage regulator, a new blower switch and pig tail, a new blower motor, all new fuel return parts on the injectors, and a new relay for the EEC.   It still has a few issues, but it runs and works 

And after that that I have an old beat up truck, but it lives.  

Dang it

715BC53D-1EA4-4157-A4CE-29F4468781B3.thumb.jpeg.4ee016161309ce8eca64508cf1f46979.jpeg

this sucks, I guess I will be welding this week

anyone know about these aftermarket front ends

2827DCB7-4C71-4622-92FC-19A4C7F20C42.thumb.jpeg.36576d2b8e6bb90a26df05e8c880bb99.jpeg

So my plan is to warm up my work area, and pull the steering bracket this week. I will clean it up and weld it since it is plate steel and not a casting.  

And maybe figure out why there are only three bolts holding it on to the tractor

At least it happened in the driveway and not across town at the in-laws

anyone have a lead on a IH front end?