PC290790.JPG

A few more

PC290795.thumb.JPG.974480e0567451e229b6f39fa873dcd7.JPG

PC290796.thumb.JPG.72de8f2760ba44171154604be3d48262.JPG

PC290797.thumb.JPG.b8ab47d7f80a77a8345b65bf7c2fb247.JPG

And the something I need to either build or buy

PC290810.thumb.JPG.a0261dc54a31ec169d82481a5b241b03.JPG

On 12/29/2017 at 9:18 PM, Red Flyer said:

It was kind of the Wild West. Leaving Umiat we would fly west for an hour on just a magnetic heading if we saw a light it was the cat train we were looking for. Every time the cat trains stopped they would radio in their lat and long ,we would find it on our sectional chart and then plot a heading. The magnetic variation was 29 degrees east so had to subtract that from true to get your magnetic course. If you added the magnetic heading you might end up over Canada. No GPS in those days.

APF

That's amazing DR flight, especially considering the extreme variation.

The longest DR I ever did was as a young man ferrying a 206 on amphibs to Puerto Rico. It really wasn't that tough as I was on a radial until out of range of the Grand Turk VOR so the drift angle was well established. I was quite happy when the Dorado beacon came alive, though.

Now it's triple flight management systems with a moving map display so even when we're in Africa we're never unsure. Some counties aren't WGS 84 so the airports are not exactly where the FMS says they are but that's pretty rare. Last year we expected to do an NDB to one of those only to find it was off the air - no NOTAM. It was clear and we found the strip OK. Locals said they needed a tube for the transmitter! Gotta love Africa.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, Red Flyer said:

I started flying in Bethel 40 yrs ago (1978) when I was 20 yrs old. The ink was still wet on my tickets when Sea Airmotive needed someone to keep the Twin Otters co-pilots seat warm  as well as be the loadmaster and fueler. January 1980 I was based in Umiat flying supplies (food ,fuel and dynamite) out to cat trains as they moved across the frozen tundra. Next year 1981 I was flying the Turbine Beaver on wheel skis doing off airport landings on the tundra and Bearing Sea ice. When I turned 23 I did my ATP check ride in the Twin Otter and became a captain on it. Besides Umiat we flew out of Barrow, Deadhorse and Barter Island. Sea Airmotive was also known as SEAIR. Logged over 5000 hrs in the State of Alaska before my airline career.

APF

I flew into Umiat a couple times.  First time was a flag stop each way on a scheduled passenger flight FAI-BRW.  Was creepy as ****, place was completely abandoned but all these buildings including a Wein Air Alaska building were standing there with occasional broken windows and partially open doors.   And a gravel runway with full runway lights including a rabbit.   None of it actually working of course.   We dropped this scientist off by himself with a couple cases of gear like the start to a bad horror movie and told him we'd stop back by on the way back and to be sure to be there.   He said he didn't want to spend the night and he'd be there but to give as long as we could if he wasn't standing there when we landed.    

The next trip I made through there they were doing some oil exploration based out of there and there was some decent activity, although it wasn't like the place was back to its former glory or anything.  

Rode today,  

IMG_4323.thumb.JPG.cf41c373f1812ccd3b742d0197be4abd.JPG

IMG_4325.thumb.JPG.0a085b61c635d3eea2c91d6f05445f24.JPG

i will post more later, we got 30 miles in with powder the whole time, I will be sore tomorrow 

7 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Rode today,  

i will post more later, we got 30 miles in with powder the whole time, I will be sore tomorrow 

Looks like a blast!   I haven't had a chance to do anything this winter at all.   Been a really busy few months!

16 minutes ago, Baradium said:

Looks like a blast!   I haven't had a chance to do anything this winter at all.   Been a really busy few months!

We went out the Steese.   Much closer, and nice snow 

Awesome, nice shot over the handlebars. Marginal snow at the farm here yet. Hoping to load up tomorrow and go up through the forest where we're going to be logging. Hoping I can sneak through on some of the old trails. They were completely closed in a couple years ago though so unless someones cut them open I'm afraid I wont make it the way I want to.

Hopefully you'll get a few more rides in this winter yet.

Just now, poor farmer/logger said:

Awesome, nice shot over the handlebars. Marginal snow at the farm here yet. Hoping to load up tomorrow and go up through the forest where we're going to be logging. Hoping I can sneak through on some of the old trails. They were completely closed in a couple years ago though so unless someones cut them open I'm afraid I wont make it the way I want to.

Hopefully you'll get a few more rides in this winter yet.

Best of luck tomorrow, and yes, I would li,e to ride again. 

3 hours ago, New Englander said:

Beautiful shot over the bars. Noontime perhaps? You must be doing lots of headlight time.:D

About 11:00  actually, it started getting light about 10 am and we had headlights on by 4.     But we are gaining 4 minutes a day.   

Successful ride here today too. Put on just over 90 miles. Was almost to warm lol. Temps were around 34°F for most of the afternoon. 

IMG_2847.thumb.JPG.1aef16dec3dc49234ba99926ef77cd4f.JPG

IMG_2853.thumb.JPG.9b6f169ed909d36dbca189921d132bab.JPG

IMG_2852.thumb.JPG.2fc54f9bbd2f1a892969f24b98f3dcd0.JPG

IMG_2862.thumb.JPG.4446c576e87cbd73c501ee0ae6daa8c0.JPG

Nice pictures logger,  is that the logging roads you mentioned then?   

some more pictures

IMG_2128.JPG.1c56ab39402392ff42127a12b1b2d16d.JPG

IMG_2126.jpg.4eecddb57de16cb7d8670773acd6e593.jpg

IMG_2124.JPG.80c786e152e5c406b7d452297054c98f.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG.252779f90956b2925ba0569d0003540a.JPG

3 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

some more pictures

73* and sunny here tomorrow but I would trade it for a day of that right there! Looks like a blast.

19 minutes ago, SMiller said:

73* and sunny here tomorrow but I would trade it for a day of that right there! Looks like a blast.

It was wonderful,   And I got to spend it with good friends, 

we will have to get you up here 

I traveled through on the logging road, these pics are from some other trails that shoot off from there as well as some from the other side of the river. With the small city that had gathered to go ice fishing and had set up shacks I figured the ice must be safe lol.

Looks like you guys have had a fair bit of snow. Sure looks like fun to play in. Closest I got to powder today was at the ski hill. In behind there's a bush where the snow gathers when they're making snow. was about 18 inches there. Just enough for me to lean it over far enough to end up on my side in the snow bank :lol:. Good thing no one was there to see me lol.

Friends and family that I ride with are a couple hours away so I usually end up on my own on these short notice trips. I don't mind though, nice and peaceful. Just have to be careful when you're out in the bush miles from anywhere on your own. Wind was howling away pretty good today and I couldn't help but thing to myself I sure hope none of these trees break off behind me and block me in.

Second pic is the block that we're going in to log. Quite a bit of blow down in it. Just a small stand. Only picture I got from that area.

IMG_2863.thumb.JPG.a3fbab36808a7b57a3c28b1423900310.JPG

IMG_2846.thumb.JPG.b533acd77fcde39b84bb2fba7ccc5483.JPG

We found between 30 inches to as much as 5 feet of powder.  Pretty sugary but very fun. 

Yes to traveling alone, be safe my friend. 

3 hours ago, AKwelder said:

some more pictures

Oh all that powder is getting me excited. I wish we would get some more snow already. There's enough to ride here but alot of us ride summits,  since normally by now we got 2-3' of snow. Just over a foot and wind is making a mess now. Heading to Revelstoke again in february so it wont be too bad. I've said it before, but that looks like some nice country up there. Some day I'll make it there with the sleds.

8 hours ago, db1486 said:

Oh all that powder is getting me excited. I wish we would get some more snow already. There's enough to ride here but alot of us ride summits,  since normally by now we got 2-3' of snow. Just over a foot and wind is making a mess now. Heading to Revelstoke again in february so it wont be too bad. I've said it before, but that looks like some nice country up there. Some day I'll make it there with the sleds.

Revelstoke is on my bucket list,,please share a few pictures when you go. 

If if you come this way let me know, but unless your chasing the northern lights most people avoid the high north in the winter, silly buggers

Question:

Is most of the snowmobile riding done on government lands.  How do you differentiate gov't lands and private lands??

Needless to say we have little snow and no snowmobiles in Mississippi!!:blink:

Scenic pictures-----sure looks cold!!!

DD

8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

Revelstoke is on my bucket list,,please share a few pictures when you go. 

If if you come this way let me know, but unless your chasing the northern lights most people avoid the high north in the winter, silly buggers

I'll maybe start a new thread on it when I go.  Very beautiful place when its clear.

Most people go south in the winter to avoid the snow and cold, and I head straight for it lol. I imagine it's nice and longer days for riding by late February? 

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Question:

Is most of the snowmobile riding done on government lands.  How do you differentiate gov't lands and private lands??

Needless to say we have little snow and no snowmobiles in Mississippi!!:blink:

Scenic pictures-----sure looks cold!!!

DD

Around here, and I'm sure most other places, there is alot of groomed trails that run through municipal, provincial and private land. That's for the people that come out here to ride that like trail riding and don't know the area otherwise. But for us locals, we know where we have permission to be, and what land to stay off of. I myself, never ride the trails around here. Not my kind of riding. Oh and there's absolutely no snowmobiling on federal government land, such as the National Parks. Provincial parks do allow riding though.

Alaska is a whole different deal, we have fewer groomed trails so we ride cross country a lot.  There are areas that they do a some grooming of cross country trails, and some people groom there trail to the cabin or their favorite fishing hole.  There are lots of legacy trails from the days of trap lines, dog teams, winter trials, and cat trains.  Kind of like survey lines cut cross country, or we run the river if it freezes.

We'll have to do a redpower round up winter style:lol:  

i very seldom ride on groomed trails. Groomed trails make up about 1/4 at the most of my yearly mileage.  I ride quite a bit in the provincial forests here. Used to be a groomed trail through there but they gave up on it.  I prefer to be in more remote trails where I don't have to worry about someonen who's had a few to many coming around the corner into me. I also don't mind going into unchartered territory where no one else goes and exploring old trails. Find some interesting views and sights sometimes getting off the beaten path. Private land is considered somewhat fair game providing there's no no trespassing signs up. If there is I try my very best to obey them.

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

We'll have to do a redpower round up winter style:lol:  

I like it lol. That would be fun!