Jump to content

Life in Alaska


AKwelder

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Yikes, rough, where are they living again?

How was your new blade? Sounds like it got used right away

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

How was your new blade? Sounds like it got used right away

Works good rolls snow, need to add hydraulic angle and I'll be happy.

Does not push off as far as I had hoped

Might wing wider again these nuisance little snow 2 passes is really nice.

Also going to mount my old blade at a 45 on the loader to push piles back faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mader656 said:

Works good rolls snow, need to add hydraulic angle and I'll be happy.

Does not push off as far as I had hoped

Might wing wider again these nuisance little snow 2 passes is really nice.

Also going to mount my old blade at a 45 on the loader to push piles back faster.

If you get a blade on the front and get a taste of looking forward more often things change

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2017 at 8:12 PM, AKwelder said:

If you get a blade on the front and get a taste of looking forward more often things change

 

The v plow I ended up with works great to push back piles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mader656 said:

The v plow I ended up with works great to push back piles.

Oh good. It's always nice when things come together

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Ak. 

I just found this forum. 

I was in Alaska for the last 10 years and just moved back to Colorado to take care of my parents. 

Took my 48 M with F-11 up there and pushed snow every winter. 

Broght it back with me. 

Anyways. Enjoy your snow, at least the days are getting longer. Always gave me a little hope for summer. 

Dennis

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, 65806 said:

Hi Ak. 

I just found this forum. 

I was in Alaska for the last 10 years and just moved back to Colorado to take care of my parents. 

Took my 48 M with F-11 up there and pushed snow every winter. 

Broght it back with me. 

Anyways. Enjoy your snow, at least the days are getting longer. Always gave me a little hope for summer. 

Dennis

Hey Dennis.  Welcome to the forum,  where were you in AK?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Picture of my truck from last Monday morning

2F50B188-3185-4AF4-8065-C85F999887ED_zps

not to bad but it took a bit to clear things out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we have snow I fired up my sled and brought it in, only to find it running horrible and then when I brought it into the garage it was pouring gas on the ground. Turns out the grommet where the sending unit goes into the tank (bulkhead seal) was the culprit 

62B3905F-58A3-443C-A514-40DE910E7FAB_zps

 

so riddle me this gents, how?  The sled has never seen ethonal, it's not even available here! Notta, none, never.  I was really suprised at how the rubber was the consistency of wet RTV.  This sled has been mine since new, only the loose nut behind the wheel has ever filled it, and I am a whole new level of anal about the gas I get in my machines. I do not buy mechanic in a can additives and rarely add Heet to the thing, and then I use red bottles.  

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 65806 said:

Mostly Wasilla. 

Lived in Fairbanks and Kodiak for about 6 months each while I was working construction. 

When were you in Fairbanks? And which jobs? I spent years bouncing among mechanical contractors

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was the fall/winter of 2005 

im a crane operator and we hung the steel for a battle command building on wainwright. 

Stayed at Sophie station in Fairbanks. 

Also built a sand storage building at the Fairbanks airport the year before. 

I liked Fairbanks, wasn't as crowded as anchorage/Wasilla. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Way to make a guy jealous. Still only a few inches here. Brother was ice fishing today and the lake where his cabin is has 30 inches if ice now. Going to need extensions on the augers pretty soon. 

Any chance you sprayed some brake cleaner in the vicinity?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Way to make a guy jealous. Still only a few inches here. Brother was ice fishing today and the lake where his cabin is has 30 inches if ice now. Going to need extensions on the augers pretty soon. 

Any chance you sprayed some brake cleaner in the vicinity?

No, I don't think I sprayed brake cleaner, right at the carb and the air box.  I have learned that brake clean and air boxs are a bad mix

 

we have snow, to bad it blew it hard, but at least we have a base, hope you get some soon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, 65806 said:

It was the fall/winter of 2005 

im a crane operator and we hung the steel for a battle command building on wainwright. 

Stayed at Sophie station in Fairbanks. 

Also built a sand storage building at the Fairbanks airport the year before. 

I liked Fairbanks, wasn't as crowded as anchorage/Wasilla. 

I think I was over at the hospital on Ft Wainwright that year.  Was that the year with all the forest fires and smoke?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brought a hydraulic power unit back as baggage. TSA opened it, fine

2AAB2E80-4ACF-4EE2-9252-58CEDDA9EA46_zps

 

they cut open the bottom of the box.  Really classy there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, New Englander said:

Isn't Heet methanol? Just another alcohol.

Yes, but there are two types of alcohol. The yellow bottle and the red bottle.  In its entire life I know it has only seen 4 bottles of red.

 

red bottles in the approved ratio are approved by the manufacturer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2017 at 2:09 PM, AKwelder said:

Picture of my truck from last Monday morning

2F50B188-3185-4AF4-8065-C85F999887ED_zps

not to bad but it took a bit to clear things out

So, when was this, about 11AM? :D  My brother and I visited some friends of his in Fairbanks in 1982 in the middle of July. After being there for a week, I felt like I had been up for a week. The only place I could sleep was in the guys basement. His friend was a firefighter and had some great stories about what they had to deal with in the winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/14/2017 at 2:15 PM, AKwelder said:

Since we have snow I fired up my sled and brought it in, only to find it running horrible and then when I brought it into the garage it was pouring gas on the ground. Turns out the grommet where the sending unit goes into the tank (bulkhead seal) was the culprit 

62B3905F-58A3-443C-A514-40DE910E7FAB_zps

 

so riddle me this gents, how?  The sled has never seen ethonal, it's not even available here! Notta, none, never.  I was really suprised at how the rubber was the consistency of wet RTV.  This sled has been mine since new, only the loose nut behind the wheel has ever filled it, and I am a whole new level of anal about the gas I get in my machines. I do not buy mechanic in a can additives and rarely add Heet to the thing, and then I use red bottles.  

 

 

 

 

Do they put anything else in the fuel up there in the winter? That really looks like chemical degradation of the rubber. Very typical of what I have seen from Ethanol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

So, when was this, about 11AM? :D  My brother and I visited some friends of his in Fairbanks in 1982 in the middle of July. After being there for a week, I felt like I had been up for a week. The only place I could sleep was in the guys basement. His friend was a firefighter and had some great stories about what they had to deal with in the winter.

8:30 or 9:00 I think.  But I know what you mean. 

 

Was a picture on the front page one time of a dog outside a fire with ice up to his knees and his tail wagging, like no where else

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Do they put anything else in the fuel up there in the winter? That really looks like chemical degradation of the rubber. Very typical of what I have seen from Ethanol.

What they put in the gas I really don't know.  But it is interesting that we see the same failures without ethanol. Really makes me wonder what they have done to fuel, cause it is sure become a perishable product 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35'below at the house this morning, 41 below the high in town.  Talk of getting colder.  Stoked the pellet stove and the furnace is fired up (seems like the blower is running more than it's off) we live on a small Hillside and it becomes so still the cold sinks into valley making a rather remarkable inversion.

 

 

 

hope we don't get any wind, right now it's less than 1 mph

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...