Life in Alaska

AKwelder

AK, here is a picture of how I plumbed my dump trailer to be either electric/hyd or I can plug it into my tractor remotes. To use the tractor hydraulics I have to close the valves that I have plumbed between the Tee and pump, One set of hoses goes to the tractor the other to the cylinders.

post-68751-0-57787900-1463590935_thumb.j

Really?

84F668F0-40C8-419B-A35E-5C2124EDE483_zps

A sign so blind people know which lane to use?

And the wife just sent me a text, our washing machine is DOA.

guess I can work some more overtime

Nice views as always.

You've got to wonder what people are thinking sometimes

Always something to fix isn't there.

Yeah, always something. The washer had a load counter, we got 10 years and 5700 loads. With those statistics it doesn't owe us anything. We bought it when she was pregnant with the oldest boy, so it did some double duty for a few years.

Oh yeah, those tanks are over 200 feet across. Kind of staggering

Oh yeah, those tanks are over 200 feet across. Kind of staggering

....and tall. 5 mil ?

We have 3 washers in the barn. We use 1 rag per cow, 625 milking 3x a day. WE get some use out of them!! They have flat plugged the drain holes with manure, thought pump died. Nope, just crap! Get ma a new one for petes sake. Washer repair guy says stick to Whirlpool brands[even costco are Whirlpool]. Maytag is junk.

Yeah, she is looking at whirlpool, and I think GE. I really don't care, as long as she gets what she wants and its American made. This one was a Maytag and I hated it from day one. But she was happy. Now the thing I need to fight is her getting cheap on me. If she buys a cheap one she will spend more time and effort on the laundry making it work, and that will end up making momma unhappy. And we all know what that means.

Whatever Momma wants Momma can have in the household dept , That way Papa can have what Papa wants in the outdoor equipment dept. :)

Is she looking at "top load " or "front load " ??

Whatever Momma wants Momma can have in the household dept , That way Papa can have what Papa wants in the outdoor equipment dept. :)

Front I hope. And get the dang pedestal this time

Front I hope. And get the dang pedestal this time

After having terrible luck with a Maytag front loader we went with a Samsung, and did get the pedestal this time. We wanted American made and threw a grand+ away on the POS Maytag. The Samsung is highly praised by every reviewer, and I can count our family in that group now.

Finding a totally made in America washer is nearly impossible:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/12/finding-appliances-made-entirely-in-america-can-be-tricky/index.htm

Well, I drove home half way across the state Friday, and it's one big state, and when I got home we went and picked up a new washer. Brought it home, dang near ruptured myself getting the truck, took the door off the hinge to get it in and then bleed all over the thing bolting the base on it. But it's installed and she is happy, so its good. 

We got up this morning and went to breakfast. There was 90 year old moe having breakfast. When my wife's father was a kid and would have gone without moe fed him, he also worked on the pipeline, raced boats on the Yukon river, played with his band in Hollywood, and much more. We bought his to. Paying back to our elders on Memorial Day,

The wife drops me off at the lot down the hill, cool, the disc is hooked to the 460 and I will ease it up to the house.  But since the disc is on and the 4 wheelers have been rutting up the path why don't I just drag the disc over it on my way and smooth it out.  Everything is going well and there is the soft spot, down we go.  I was a bit upset with the operator. A co-worker is passing by and stops and says he has a back hoe at the house but needs to finish hauling before the pit closes, I thank him, and he goes for his next load. Since few people help those who won't help themselves I keep at it with a shovel, the diesel truck pulling, and cuss words. With the axle tube pushing some muck we get it out and I call and thank the wonderful ℅-worker, off to the house. 

I spend end the day hauling trash, and mowing the lawn. Then wind up the brush hog on the back of my Kubota. With a lot of nerves I get the roses and thicket beat back a ways, then enjoy a wonderful diner on the deck. My boys tuck in, I mean dang!

tomorrow we work on flowers. 

On 5/25/2016 at 5:03 AM, New Englander said:

After having terrible luck with a Maytag front loader we went with a Samsung, and did get the pedestal this time. We wanted American made and threw a grand+ away on the POS Maytag. The Samsung is highly praised by every reviewer, and I can count our family in that group now.

Finding a totally made in America washer is nearly impossible:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/12/finding-appliances-made-entirely-in-america-can-be-tricky/index.htm

Our samsung washer has been good but the dryer i can take apart with my eyes closed. I have had it apart so many times i can tell you how many screws and where they are located. Told the wife the next dryer is gonna be avacado colored from a garage sale!! Cant kill them ugly old things.

Busy weekend. Got my eldest on the riding mower, he finally weighs enough to keep the seat switch down while driving

454B9A5A-4452-4578-B5C2-619397EE40A4_zps

forgive the color.

we worked the flowers today

EA68CCEC-3519-48BA-8D7F-0F226C149F2E_zps

installed some weed block fabric and ran the drip irrigation mainline after hooking it up to the pump

And we started cooking down our birch syrup

4510D4D5-AB4E-451E-A900-4502851C89C4_zps

Back to work this week.  And odd jobs at night. Boys are getting their 4 wheelers running

76DB4F05-1210-46F6-9B77-76F20E58E6BA_zps

more drip irrigation work, and the flowers are gaining size 

heavy equipment being delivered this weekend, so land clearing coming

Amazing how big a hole you can dig in a day

139BEB68-6A62-4AD7-B405-904EA99875E9_zps

pulled all the waste, roots, stumps, and debris off and you see it on the left. Now a hole to burry it in

Nice looking soil. At least you didn't hit bedrock at 18"! Now what is this going to be? Shop location?

Peony field, needed to get rid of the stumps. Dig a deep hole and push them in

Just as a wierd after fact, it was frozen from 4 foot to the bottom. Soil was either dry, or clay. But it was less than 32* the whole way

Always fun playing with the big toys aint it. Looks like a nice little 160G or is it a 200?

I was wondering about that if you'd hit permafrost. Here you'd have hit water about a foot down.lol.. 

Mom's peonies are just about ready to bloom now. Another week maybe and they'll be opening up.

Yes, it was a 160, nice machine.  It had an aggressive set of teeth and the permafrost was dry (if It's water logged it is much harder digging).  It did slow me down.  And it is only a few degrees below freezing  so it warms up quickly when exposed  

And it was fun working with a new excavator with a nice radio, and I could close the door when the mosquitos got bad. I switched to a clean up bucket and leveled things off this morning.  More pictures coming soon

Oh, our peonies are not budded yet, but they are still young. We hope they bloom in late July, that is the best time for sales for us. August is better.  By September there are other areas adding to the market and the price drops. Of course we are still 3 years from selling our first crop, it's a long term crop like orchards