Life in Alaska

AKwelder

Things are so different in other areas. Your stuck yet there is no mud on the tires! Wouldn't see that around here for sure.

Yeah, clay on top of frost. But biggest thing was the front tire went straight down to the hub. I could have worked it but. I really don't need to tear it up.

Try again photo bucket

744D6A1B-4F41-4275-92EE-596BB5CDFEC0_zps

I saw this and thought you hit a light pole.

Lol???.

That really be a bad day

Friend did that with a 65 foot sprayer, one where the booms trail behind, lock broke and a boom swung around a corner destroyed sprayer and light pole.

Try again photo bucket

744D6A1B-4F41-4275-92EE-596BB5CDFEC0_zps

I saw this and thought you hit a light pole.
Lol???.

That really be a bad day

Friend did that with a 65 foot sprayer, one where the booms trail behind, lock broke and a boom swung around a corner destroyed sprayer and light pole.

Dang. i can't even imagine that

Off for another round of valve testing. I shall be driving 250 miles south today. More to come

And I checked on this, been here for years

161897CF-7C24-450F-A8DB-0FEDE7756D5B_zps

Sitting behind the mower is a plow for it. I think

And exspensive

96828DFF-20F7-4895-8E23-55E8935DC88D_zps

$12,900 for baler, & $4000 for rake

It's a JD 328 baker I think. Looks nice, but wow.

At the lodge the still have the old generators

D2A6CD19-EA4C-4C6E-BD1D-A32C62C5EBCC_zps

One cylinder diesels.

82789F1D-99C8-4583-932D-8F5DA4489659_zps

5 inch bore, 8 inch stroke. 12.2 hp I think. 3 foot flywheel. I wonder?

Anyways. There are two of these units off the garage/shop and they appear to be in perfect order. I spun them both over.

Anyone know much about them?

Not much here on the Witte diesels ,other than they last forever , Guys over on smokstak love em

if you need more info on them pop over there (Gary --OBG Montana farm is 20 Reeves High Wheeler over there)

Those generators are cool there was a chain saw shop around here a few years ago that had a big single cylinder for a generator for power and in the winter the cooling system was part of the heat along with the wood I think they used compressed air to start it the motor was at least 6 feet tall

Cool old units. Look clean. I like the compressed air start idea. That baler is really new I think. I bet a brand new one is near 20k today. Neighbors got a new New Holland. Been a poor unit. It broke a twine needle last year. How does that happen?! They are disappointed with it's reliability. They started doing horse hay on some land and wanted nice even bales and it just wont stay set like they feel it should.

I should be home tomorrow night. I will take my boys for a 4 wheeler ride and check the fields??????

I heard they were mostly up and sprouted

The baler was a 328 if I recall. And it was new looking.

The hay market has changed since I had horses. The few dairies that were outside Anchorage are not buying as much hay and some closed. This really changed the hay market. Then the price of Urea doubled, so it costs more to put the hay up and they are getting less for it.

We have a Ruston Hornsby elevator engine similar to that but a little bigger. Don't recall what the hp rating is on it but it is a neat old piece of history. Ours starts off air pressure or belt pulley on a tractor. Good ol crank power too but that's be a bit tuff on them cold mornings lol. Ours has a wick that burns and seems to me there's some kind of percussion cap but its been so many years since I've really been around it I can't say for sure.

They can ship it in two days, milk is common to be hauled by tractor trailer teams. They also send a lot by sea.

Most milk we buy is days from sell by date.

Cool old units. Look clean. I like the compressed air start idea. That baler is really new I think. I bet a brand new one is near 20k today. Neighbors got a new New Holland. Been a poor unit. It broke a twine needle last year. How does that happen?! They are disappointed with it's reliability. They started doing horse hay on some land and wanted nice even bales and it just wont stay set like they feel it should.

We have a NH 565 its a few years old havent had any break downs with it. Baler makes very consistant bales as long as you keep the baler full (thin windrows + slow speed= funky bales). Wonder if neighbors ran something into the baler to cause the needle to break?

I think there's is a 2012 model. Retired dairyman and his son grow forages and now do some horse hay so they are experienced at equip. The son was really frustrated. They just cant seem to keep a consistent bale. The breaking needle was crazy. They even dug in the bale to find anything.

Mader

My coop ships milk to the orient. 45 day shelf life with ultra pasturization.

Well I'm home. All is well.

And then

"You need to talk to YOUR son!"

5981182B-FF83-4D1B-89D0-F19F3D7C8E00_zps

Nice. Boys!!

I live on the Palmer side of Hatcher Pass and the Snake River fire is on the Willow side. Today the smoke got real bad on our side of the mountain pass and the dry heat got extreme then a lighting and thunder storm ensued. Conditions have to be just right to have lighting and thunder storms around here The storm dropped about an inch of rain in less then an hour but only in our area

.post-114211-0-41587700-1434529808_thumb.

Photo: ktuu.com/news/news/photos-willowarea

Hope your all right down there Dan. I know it get miserable from the smoke and ash but hopefully the burn isn't to close