Jump to content

Life in Alaska


AKwelder
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well just made a trip to town...road conditions pretty bad but manageable. Hwy is mostly cleared but only one lane going through north pole. Lots of folks doing 35 on hwy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the rich at the tanana river and boondox bar. Pick does no justice..probly 2" of solid ice under the snow.

20211229_132720.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was looking at the weather summary, up to about December 15 we had a little over 13 inches of precipitation for 2021, we ended the year well over 18 inches.  So we basically got 1/3 of our years precipitation in the last few weeks, in snow and rain.

The state has called the national guard out to help get to stranded and snowed in people, they have just about got the power mains back on, but there are lots of people who had issues with the power to the house and that’s on them. The roads are not plowed very well but getting better every day, hope they can get it better but with the rain the ice is one the roads for the long haul.

and now we are getting cold, it’s -15 below here now and that’s supposed to be the high as we head into really cold weather

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last 2 winters now we’ve had a rain on our first snow. Sure makes a mess for a while. Last winter the gravel roads never really did improve. They scraped them a bit with the grader but as soon as it warmed up it all turned to ice again.  Was a month or so where if you didn’t have 4wd you didn’t really dare venture out. 
 

Hoping for some warmer weather here fairly soon. Last 10 days or so have been pretty chilly. 
 

Have you managed to get the sleds out this winter yet?  Warmed up to -22°F here now, just brought the viper out of the shop and going for a little ride around home.  Don’t think I’ll venture to far out though. Hoping to go for a bigger ride next weekend maybe if the weather improves. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Last 2 winters now we’ve had a rain on our first snow. Sure makes a mess for a while. Last winter the gravel roads never really did improve. They scraped them a bit with the grader but as soon as it warmed up it all turned to ice again.  Was a month or so where if you didn’t have 4wd you didn’t really dare venture out. 
 

Hoping for some warmer weather here fairly soon. Last 10 days or so have been pretty chilly. 
 

Have you managed to get the sleds out this winter yet?  Warmed up to -22°F here now, just brought the viper out of the shop and going for a little ride around home.  Don’t think I’ll venture to far out though. Hoping to go for a bigger ride next weekend maybe if the weather improves. 

guess  that diesel ''gells''   at that low     .  (  low  ??????????     wow! )    temperature ??:rolleyes:..of course I am not refering  to your motorised   sledge....;)

...very warm  here today, Ryan  !!!

Mike

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mike newman said:

guess  that diesel ''gells''   at that low     .  (  low  ??????????     wow! )    temperature ??:rolleyes:..of course I am not refering  to your motorised   sledge....;)

...very warm  here today, Ryan  !!!

Mike

 

Sled is in the heated shop so I went out for a few hours. Was beautiful out. My phone showed -30 when I took this pic but it sure didn’t feel like it.  No anti gel was needed 😂😂

4B52AF3F-EEBE-4409-BE29-F022BAFB66F6.jpeg

B6C8BB6B-3C3E-4BF6-B200-BAF1ADD8EB0D.jpeg

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Last 2 winters now we’ve had a rain on our first snow. Sure makes a mess for a while. Last winter the gravel roads never really did improve. They scraped them a bit with the grader but as soon as it warmed up it all turned to ice again.  Was a month or so where if you didn’t have 4wd you didn’t really dare venture out. 
 

Hoping for some warmer weather here fairly soon. Last 10 days or so have been pretty chilly. 
 

Have you managed to get the sleds out this winter yet?  Warmed up to -22°F here now, just brought the viper out of the shop and going for a little ride around home.  Don’t think I’ll venture to far out though. Hoping to go for a bigger ride next weekend maybe if the weather improves. 

Have not had the sleds out much for the last few years. I lost the urge, which is sad since that was my hobby for many years.  Maybe I will see how they are. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AKwelder said:

Have not had the sleds out much for the last few years. I lost the urge, which is sad since that was my hobby for many years.  Maybe I will see how they are. 

Well they’re always there waiting for you at least. Hopefully you can get out and enjoy them a little bit this winter maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2021 at 12:54 PM, hardtail said:

That's devastating to game as it cuts up their legs for the rest of winter really hard on deer population and thinner skinned game

Starting to see the moose on the roads more.  We need to go sled some paths for them.  Ice crust and 4 foot on the ground

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mike newman said:

guess  that diesel ''gells''   at that low     .  (  low  ??????????     wow! )    temperature ??:rolleyes:..of course I am not refering  to your motorised   sledge....;)

...very warm  here today, Ryan  !!!

Mike

 

Here in Western Canada ,"winter" diesel is available from about 18th November .It is a mix of No1 and No2 diesel,No1 being predominately Kerosene .No 2 diesel(summer)  is okay down to about minus 15-19C before it will gel.If you have a fuel filter heater system if will extend it by about 5 degree C  lower .Winter diesel in canada still has a pour point of about minus 40 C before it begins to "cloud" ie ,the parrafin wax which occurs naturally in the fuel has started to crystalize and hence it looks "cloudy" and will start to plug  the fuel filter. Normaly a little below the "cloud" point temp,you will get the CFPP.that is Cold Filter Plug Point,predicated on the temp the fuel will not pass thru a 45 micron filter. This is not to be confused with diesel "icing" which occurs due to the presence of water crystals in the fuel, and will also cause the fuel to be unable to pass thru the filter,thus causing similiar symptoms.The No1 diesel is lighter ,more volatile and has slightly less energy than No2; 135,000 BTU,s per gallon to 139,000 BTU,s  for No2  diesel. I personally have operated Cats and heavy equipment at much lower temps than minus 40 (minus 55 C  for 14 days on one job in the late 70,s  back when we ran with no fancy girlie  glass cabs like today,just ROP,S cab with lots of tarps etc)   and everything kept running 24/7 .This is just a brief description  of  cold weather fuel issues, and  one could go into it in a lot more detail.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2022 at 9:16 AM, Pukeko said:

Here in Western Canada ,"winter" diesel is available from about 18th November .It is a mix of No1 and No2 diesel,No1 being predominately Kerosene .No 2 diesel(summer)  is okay down to about minus 15-19C before it will gel.If you have a fuel filter heater system if will extend it by about 5 degree C  lower .Winter diesel in canada still has a pour point of about minus 40 C before it begins to "cloud" ie ,the parrafin wax which occurs naturally in the fuel has started to crystalize and hence it looks "cloudy" and will start to plug  the fuel filter. Normaly a little below the "cloud" point temp,you will get the CFPP.that is Cold Filter Plug Point,predicated on the temp the fuel will not pass thru a 45 micron filter. This is not to be confused with diesel "icing" which occurs due to the presence of water crystals in the fuel, and will also cause the fuel to be unable to pass thru the filter,thus causing similiar symptoms.The No1 diesel is lighter ,more volatile and has slightly less energy than No2; 135,000 BTU,s per gallon to 139,000 BTU,s  for No2  diesel. I personally have operated Cats and heavy equipment at much lower temps than minus 40 (minus 55 C  for 14 days on one job in the late 70,s  back when we ran with no fancy girlie  glass cabs like today,just ROP,S cab with lots of tarps etc)   and everything kept running 24/7 .This is just a brief description  of  cold weather fuel issues, and  one could go into it in a lot more detail.


 

We get only #1 or #2 diesel or heating oil here.  No mixed, bio, or blended fuels. For the most part we see very limited fuel problems. When it’s cold, like 30 or 40 below it really stress tests the filters and everything else.  And we are a dryer climate so the water in the fuel is not so much of an issue.

 

the big issue we are facing now is they are stopping the sale of #2 heating oil due to emissions problems, and they require the sale of #1 heating oil.  Less particulates hanging in the stagnate air during cold snaps

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always buy #1 anyway.. we only use about 200 gallons a year to heat water...

Reminds me its time to change the filter on the boiler.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Well,  this isn’t looking very spring like

From my weather station

41532B43-C7F1-435C-890C-B1C0427C1897.thumb.jpeg.89a860ccb2bba337e8be16e0f7db1651.jpeg

its colder in town

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya really...i got stuff to do! Hey what are the details on that station?? We've been wanting to get one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Twolines said:

Ya really...i got stuff to do! Hey what are the details on that station?? We've been wanting to get one.

I ordered an Ecowitt from the company website.  They are one of a very few that has a wind meter that doesn’t use the cups, it uses some technology that measures wind as it goes by. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Well,  life has been busy.

got some hives going 

145BB781-B79E-43ED-AABA-0978C61D8CFB.thumb.jpeg.cc929dd51976eaa773bf54e4eb7f7a46.jpeg

 

had a small job up north, so I headed north

45766D81-BDF6-4FD7-85D9-08E0A922FB61.thumb.jpeg.f526737361b5368ea3a4410b79097774.jpeg
D041F89B-6432-44CF-981D-393219110C36.thumb.jpeg.292c0427fff02680512a4fe3022471fa.jpeg

winter is still here

2FB0F8E8-5654-4ABC-BEA9-9108EC5F4EA6.thumb.jpeg.0e0107b9f865bc3805e78818566eb9d1.jpeg

woke up to snow

422B4404-BECF-4E3E-8CBA-55ED0B8BDED2.thumb.jpeg.90440f2d89ea57a6b51bcec2975a4ef3.jpeg

and people can’t drive

0671803B-678D-4F96-92A2-579A03C87125.thumb.jpeg.e8dac69bdb7e0b5bd48b58825dc8964a.jpeg

rig mats on the road, for a coupe miles

17AA53FF-4607-415E-BBFD-90DADCAEAC9D.thumb.jpeg.4bf4f974e69450351c420e4cfe5f23ca.jpeg

And things along the road

AAECC63F-6EC0-424D-A9CD-C8AB4EA985CF.thumb.jpeg.81db911588c31ee356f172e1d9ac144a.jpeg

D16CD471-D1B8-41C4-BD52-99861B6792F1.thumb.jpeg.6146156ab8b508590d4e0fb1f133a9fa.jpeg

 

got home, pulled the 460 out, dropped the loader and tried her out

94EB3115-82F5-462A-AAD2-144477937E2A.thumb.jpeg.582b327635c897c838e3fbbcbf3c6315.jpeg

 

Question, can I bolt a new section onto a bar that had rivets? Needs some new sections, and since it’s just mowing ditches I was hoping to fix them as they fail

 

man, that poor tractor needs new sheet metal

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And the 460 needs a clutch job, so there is that to look forward to

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They make special bolts just for sections. But rivets are more fun.....NOT😖😖😖

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, smfarms said:

They make special bolts just for sections. But rivets are more fun.....NOT😖😖😖

I have the special bolts, my other mower had a new bar when I switched to bolted sections.  Guess I can try today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nearly everyone ive met is from somewhere else. Wife and i are transplants from Oregon. A lot of the older people weve met came in the 60s and 70s. 

Ive noticed a liberal movement up here with the legal pot industry.  A friend of mine owns one of the largest indoor grows in the state. He cant find any decent help anymore...lol. I managed his "trim" crew for 3 years and he wants me back. I show up on time every day with the right length whip. 

Everyone thought i was the fuzz as i dont smoke. Kept them on their toes.

As to drivers... When i worked in town(40 mile drive) id get stuck behind this purple dodge van with new mexico plates doing 35mph. Ran into her/it at the little store out here. I was compelled to tell her she is a danger on the road. A week later i saw the van 30 yds off the hwy ON the rr tracks! Havnt seen that van in a while... also see a lot of jeeps and subarus off the road if not upside down.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

People here can’t drive in the snow, I figured maybe it was better in Alaska. Are there a lot of people there who have moved from other places?

I would guess this was a tourist, we gets lots Asian tourist that want to see the northern lights. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing to look out for when using bolt on a knife sections is the hold down clamps may have to be bent up to miss the nut since it is higher than a rivet.  I have changed sections on a as needed bases for years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, ray54 said:

The thing to look out for when using bolt on a knife sections is the hold down clamps may have to be bent up to miss the nut since it is higher than a rivet.  I have changed sections on a as needed bases for years.

If clearance is a problem, get the high arch hold downs that are used on the inside end over the sickle drive.  They will fit anywhere on the bar.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Used to see the same thing along the Front Range, when the Colorado Stoners (a great name for a sports team, eh?) would forget, assuming they ever knew, how to drive.

T0671803B-678D-4F96-92A2-579A03C87125.thumb.jpeg.e8dac69bdb7e0b5bd48b58825dc8964a.jpeg

'Twas always worth a good laugh, and an upraised middle finger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...