putting a wide front on a farmall m

bigreddm

I bought a wide front for my m. it came off a 560. it is an international wide front. the problem I'm having is the pivot will not come up even with the bolster and mount flat on it. I looked at my neighbors 400 with the same wide front( his came from a 560 also years ago) and they put washers between the top of the pivot and the casting of the tractor (lower bolster). this is where the 4 bolts goes through the pivot and into the tractor. is there a way to do this and have the pivot flush against the tractor or is the spacers the necessary way to do this because the 560 is a little different than the m.

I've looked up a few images of 460s and 560s with IH wide fronts, and they have spacers between the saddle (pivot) and the bolster.

Can't quite place my finger on it, but the 450 saddles look different somehow.

Yes, the M, SM, 400 and 450 saddles ARE different from the 560.

Saddle that bolts to the frame rails is taller than the late model wide front saddle for a SM, SMTA, 400 and 450. They put spacers between the upper bolster and the pivot casting so the wish bone ball will line up. If you don't want to space find a saddle from the above tractors wide front, or if you have the equipment shorten the 560 on the bottom, weld a steel plate on the correct height and drill the mounting holes for the ball casting. Or make a complete saddle, aftermarket did make a steel one, don't know if that's still happening.

If you make a 560 one less tall its better to make it a little shorter than needed. Since some balls don't line up perfect anyway you can use a 1/16 or 1/8 shim under the ball casting to adjust. With the tractor jacked up if the front axle doesn't pivot freely and everything is in good shape its because the ball mount is off on height or center. Same applies to shimming the pivot casting down. Dave

IMO why??? A narrow front looks great on an M.

Good luck on your project.

I have a Russel front end on that new 460 I just got.

I noted that the whole front ends seems pointed up.

It has what I would describe as a shim bar welded in place where the bolts to up into the frame.

Was thinking that this front end just doesnt seem right on it.

I wonder now if that front end was meant for and older model?

Maybe, but if you put a heavy loader on an M, and encounter some soft ground, that narrow front will bury itself. A narrow front doesn't look so good then.

Maybe, but if you put a heavy loader on an M, and encounter some soft ground, that narrow front will bury itself. A narrow front doesn't look so good then.

Ah, there you go. I wouldn't put a loader on an M though...

Not trying to offend anyone here.

Ah, there you go. I wouldn't put a loader on an M though...

Not trying to offend anyone here.

No offense taken, but when you already own an M, and it just sets in the shed doing nothing, eventually you have to either sell it, or find some work for it to do. If this snow keeps coming down, The ol' M with the loader WILL get put to work.

Might depend on the hydraulic you have.

If all you have it the old Lift All thats not going to be much of a loader tractor.

If you have live hyd like on a Super M thats different.

Archived