Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stampmaint1

corn haulers

post-6713-0-36165700-1414023575_thumb.jp Corn yields were very good. Needed to get both trucks in the field to keep up with the combine.

Does Big Red have live tandems or a lift axle? What size motor? Glad you need them both for a big crop.

Both trucks have twin screw rear ends. The red one has a 308 ci engine and a 5 and 3 transmission. Slow but sure to get you where you want to go.

going to guess the red one hauls about 525 and blue 625 of corn.

Your are very generous. Red one hauls no more than 525 of 58 pound corn. The white box, the largest so far was 580 of 58 pound corn. I can get a lot done in a day as long as I have operators. Two guys makes it fun. The sides are a bit taller on the red truck.

Any more pictures of both? Always have wanted an 1800 in that body style. How do you like the 5 and 4? Ran one last year with it and she was Definetly a stump puller with that 392 v-8.

If ya had a place for me to sleep I would have come by to help. Could have used the diversion :lol: Especially with this warm weather.

Probably :lol:

Spent a night here a couple of months ago. (One in the middle)

post-546-0-78703500-1414517127_thumb.jpg

Has all the amenities!

post-546-0-01260100-1414517010_thumb.jpg

Except a pillow. And blanket. Had to borrow those from Mom. :)

post-6713-0-23666800-1414722072_thumb.jppost-6713-0-74163800-1414722112_thumb.jp Couple more pics. Been thinking about container trailers myself.

I just love the 5 & 4 transmission. Hope to never go back to a 5 & 2 again. So many different speeds. When shifting the aux. trans, it is like a half a gear difference compared to shifting the main. I suppose similar results could be had when split shifting the 5&2. I never got my timing down to get that. This is easier for me and has everything from a double under drive to over drive. Crawls out of the field and goes home from the elevator at 65 mph.

Ooo... 65... kinda get a woody thinking about going over 58.

What up with 5 & 2? Standard electric shifts are pretty easy. Could see where twin sticks could be a pain. To be honest though I just tend to use one range or the other for the most part.

The 5 and 4 gives you the option of having smaller differences in ratio between shifts. Much like the difference between a 5 speed vs a 13 speed. The only way to come close to this with a 5 and 2 is to split shift. This is like going from third high range to fourth gear low range on the 5 and 2. Shifting the 2 speed is easy. It when you try to do that and change gears in the thransmission at the same time that takes a lot of skill. Many people are scared of the 2 lever transmission. The first few times I drove it I just picked a range in the aux trans and drove just shifting the main. After some time I started shifting the aux as part of building up speed. The smaller steps in ratio help you keep the rpm up where you like it. The blue and white truck has better synchronizers in the aux that make it easier to shift. The red truck is 20 years older and harder to shift without grinding gears.

Notice the vitals on the dash. I am very proud of the condition of the engine.

It does look clean, and only the oil pressure seemed a bit down. Maybe normal for that truck? Nice vacuum.

Oddly I don't find heavy down spit shifting all that effective with my dump/392. Waiting a few more revs lets me avoid the stick for the first shift. (I have to go 5th H to 4th H, then back to 5th L then 4th L. 3,2,1 split normally like a 13 speed.) Generally it tops the hill about the same. You wouldn't think it.

oil pressure to me appears to be high at 600rpms. all ih sv8's run low oil pressure at idle and not much at load either.

So what do you typically have revved?

Mine stays near 60 most of the time, but it has the thick stuff to keep from blowing it out.

Between shifts when under load I rap it out up around 3400-3500. Interesting about blowing out oil. I have noticed when I push it hard I smell oil. When I looked to see what, I found it was blowing oil out the top of the right hand valve cover around the fill cap and the vent hose. I never paid attention much to the oil pressure. I was waiting for a train and had the camera in the truck when I took the dash pic. I have 15w40 john deere oil in it. I should look to see what the pressure is around 3000 rpm. Maybe the relief spring is wrong. Or maybe a can of STP may calm it down. I thought idling with 30 psi shows good bearings. I am thinking now that that may be why it blows oil out the top.

Is that 30? I thought it was near the 20 mark. No real problems with the oil pressure, we know that most engines are quite happy with those numbers.

Mine has stuck rings or something to that effect. It pushes a lot of oil out the breather hole. I actually have a hose and oil bottle to catch the spillage. Some day it has to come apart. Some have mentioned that they were able to pull it down and clean up the rings and that was all it needed. But mine has a bottom end knock so it will be more serious when opened.

Yes the gauge is pointing at 20 psi. It's me again shooting from the hip. Even worse when I am wrong about my own stuff.

post-6713-0-03402600-1414890945_thumb.jp Here is a pic of the red truck. In some good soybeans.

attachicon.gifHPIM0858.JPG Here is a pic of the red truck. In some good soybeans.

That truck really excites me. Very clean with a nice ladder on the side. AWESOME!

What's interesting is the blue truck has the "sundance" interior. Eason

post-6713-0-36580700-1415058243_thumb.jp Here is a pic of the corn. Thanks Eason for the insight on the interior. I would have never known.