Opinion on D19 Allis

dannyredfan

Have a neighbor that is wanting to sale a lot of Equp to settle his late brothers estate.

He has a D19 with loader for sale just wandering how one would be. Was going to look at it today but couldn't What's the plus and minus of one? Looking to use it to move round bails , load munuer and general work

Never ran a 19 but love my 17. Dunno if the 19`s have the jumping out of 3rd gear issue as the 17s but I`d check it on a hill. Check the power divider for crisp "snap" into high/low range.

Grandad bought a brand new D-19 gas. Bought a new allis 4 bottom semi mount plow with it. After one day, yes one, he drove to town and traded the plow for a new IH plow. After the one day plowing he decided the plow was really hard pulling because the tractor was working so hard so he traded plows only to find out the tractor was the problem, not the plow. The tractor was around for many years but only doing light work because it was quickly replaced with a new IH 806. That D -19 was disliked by everyone. It gained a reputation as being hard starting, cold blooded, uncomfortable, fuel sucking, gutless piece of poo on 4 wheels. Only the purchase of a new MF550 combine was a bigger blunder.

Bill

Have a neighbor that is wanting to sale a lot of Equp to settle his late brothers estate.

He has a D19 with loader for sale just wandering how one would be. Was going to look at it today but couldn't What's the plus and minus of one? Looking to use it to move round bails , load munuer and general work

Maybe you should also get a spell check app on your device.

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

Nothing beats a WD. Nothing. Not even a 300 hp 6030.

A Ford 6000 Commander selectospeed would be a Cadillac to a 6030. Dad bought one of those boat anchors in '85. When he passed in '99 it was by, by, green turd.. ..

A Ford 6000 Commander selectospeed would be a Cadillac to a 6030. Dad bought one of those boat anchors in '85. When he passed in '99 it was by, by, green turd.. ..

Preach it, Brother!!

And here we go with the age old question. What's better? A 4020 or an 856?

That's not a question but a fact!!! 856 hands down will outwork a 4020 on less fuel! Eason

Here we go again. The OP ask about a D19, not a JD or Ford. I wasn't going to say anything because I've never owner or run a D series Allis but come on guys. Help out a board member here and leave it be.

Rick

Hey dannyredfan, there is an Allis Chalmers forum where you can sign up and ask these questions. Some very knowledgable guys there not unlike here. Google Unofficial Allis Chalmers forum.

Here we go again. The OP ask about a D19, not a JD or Ford. I wasn't going to say anything because I've never owner or run a D series Allis but come on guys. Help out a board member here and leave it be.

Rick

HEY RICK.... Do you use Low Ash IH straight 30W oil in your 8N's? I really don't care.... I just don't care to be scolded when yesterday you commented on a FIVE YEAR OLD oil thread

ANYHOW.... Neighbor Dad traded help with had a D-19 NFE gas tractor for 4 yrs before he got his new side console 4020-D. It was a bigger horse than our 450-G we had at the time, not a lot bigger, but enough bigger to make a couple extra rounds every morning and afternoon. The D-19 diesel was the first ag tractor to be turbo-charged, was an even bigger horse! That D-19 had 16.9X34 rear tires, the biggest difference between a D-17 & D-19 besides the 4 vs 6 cyl engines in the gas tractors was the 19 had bar style rear axles, no little tires like the WD, WD-45, D-17.

The 3rd gear popping out of engagement was mostly caused by grinding into gear when shifting from a stop. Just like the 5th gear problem with H&M Farmall's, more of an operator error, but common to ALL Allis's that have a lot of use.

Allis made up-dates to tractors by changing series, make sure this D-19 has live hyd & 3-pt if you need it. Allis's Snap Couple can be adapted to 3-pt but it's still an expense to do it. Allis was the first ag tractor company to start using higher pressure hydraulics, but with those higher pressures came lower flow, make sure the loader is fast enough for you, it should be plenty strong. Not sure how well the D-19 WFE will hold up to constant big bale movement, may be O-K. The brakes on a D-19 are similar is design to the IH disk brakes but are internal, have to remove the axle carrier to service if I remember correctly, but when they're right, they really work!

Parts are readily available, at least my Buddy that restores an Allis every couple years can get anything he needs, just not everything he wants sometimes.

They are good tractors, first with a factory turbo. Biggest issue with them, if it's a diesel, is let it warm up before pulling it and let it cool out after working it. The gassers were good, but like any bigger gas tractor, they liked to drink it.

LOL except it was the first WHEEL ag tractor. Cat was selling AG steel tracked tractors with turbo before the D19 was produced.

Rick

Rick

HEY RICK.... Do you use Low Ash IH straight 30W oil in your 8N's? I really don't care.... I just don't care to be scolded when yesterday you commented on a FIVE YEAR OLD oil thread

ANYHOW.... Neighbor Dad traded help with had a D-19 NFE gas tractor for 4 yrs before he got his new side console 4020-D. It was a bigger horse than our 450-G we had at the time, not a lot bigger, but enough bigger to make a couple extra rounds every morning and afternoon. The D-19 diesel was the first ag tractor to be turbo-charged, was an even bigger horse! That D-19 had 16.9X34 rear tires, the biggest difference between a D-17 & D-19 besides the 4 vs 6 cyl engines in the gas tractors was the 19 had bar style rear axles, no little tires like the WD, WD-45, D-17.

The 3rd gear popping out of engagement was mostly caused by grinding into gear when shifting from a stop. Just like the 5th gear problem with H&M Farmall's, more of an operator error, but common to ALL Allis's that have a lot of use.

Allis made up-dates to tractors by changing series, make sure this D-19 has live hyd & 3-pt if you need it. Allis's Snap Couple can be adapted to 3-pt but it's still an expense to do it. Allis was the first ag tractor company to start using higher pressure hydraulics, but with those higher pressures came lower flow, make sure the loader is fast enough for you, it should be plenty strong. Not sure how well the D-19 WFE will hold up to constant big bale movement, may be O-K. The brakes on a D-19 are similar is design to the IH disk brakes but are internal, have to remove the axle carrier to service if I remember correctly, but when they're right, they really work!

Parts are readily available, at least my Buddy that restores an Allis every couple years can get anything he needs, just not everything he wants sometimes.

Wasn't trying to scold. It's beyond absurd for a red page to be constantly knocking other brands. The other brand guys are not here to defend so all it becomes is a bash and all too often it's someone trying to compare a tractor that started production several years after the tractor they are trying to bash ended production. We wouldn't be here if we didn't like or own red stuff.

Someone else regenerated the oil thread. I just added my feelings on the subject. As I stated there, each to his own.

Please explain the rational of in a page and a half going from a question about an AC tractor to bashing JD and Ford?

Kinda falls into the same category of asking about AC stuff here. Some of us have some knowledge but few are experts. The tranny gear problem as I was told was cause from guys trying to shift on the fly on the AC's and that's why they have gear problems in 2nd, 3rd and high depending on 4 or 5 speed (down shifting from 3rd on the 4 speed or 4th on the 5 speed into 2nd or 3rd and upshifting into high). Internal tranny parts are supposed to be hard to come by. IMO the power director was a sorry joke for live IPTO and yes I owned an AC with the PD. In some cases I would be trying to shift the PD into N to keep the PTO running, steer, shift the main tranny, raise/lower the 3 point and operate a remote all at once on a 190XT series III with just your hands. Somehow I was cursed and only born with 2 hands. At least with IPTO you can eliminate one step of that. Like the IH Fast Hitch the snap coupler system was flawed in the fact that it tried to make the end user buy their implements. With as independent as farmers were in that day both were doomed before they were even offered. The snap coupler had another issue. Like the jaws on a 5the wheel they require inspection and maintenance. If the under belly coupler released while plowing the hitch on the plow would dig in and flip the plow into the rear of the seat. With luck the operator might just get a little banged up. A current owner would be well advised to convert to 3 point because of that if it's a worker. I have no working knowledge of the D's but after owning a 190 I'll never own another.

Big thing with the AC's is you do not shift on the go! For a loader tractor if the hydraulics are fast enough it should be OK for loader work.

Rick

i like the d-series, i like allis in general, the power director/divider, cant remember which they call it can be tough to get parts for but not impossible. the later ones might have been better. we have a friend with a d-17 industrial with a back hoe, while it is worn out it was a nice tractor, our d-14 is just an absolute sweetheart. it lacks in the live PTO department but if i am not mistaken the d-15 had live and your d-19 should. like with anything, if it is beat and neglected or just plain worn out you aren't going to have much fun with it. it was however a sweet tractor when it was new, and if you think there is enough left to work with i would definitely go for it. i like every allis i have ever been on.

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

that is just plain un-called for.

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

I agree its un-called for. The OP asked a question about Allis. While that brand might not be your favorite, you don't have bash all others. If you feel the need to bash, search google for The Bash Board.

Thanks,

BJ

Preach it, Brother!!

And here we go with the age old question. What's better? A 4020 or an 856?

8N

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

I disagree.

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

I agree its un-called for. The OP asked a question about Allis. While that brand might not be your favorite, you don't have bash all others. If you feel the need to bash, search google for The Bash Board.

Thanks,

BJ

What's The Bash Board?

sale-sell

equp-equip. or equipment

wandering-wondering

bails-bales

munuer-manure

Les would be proud.

Thanks,

BJ

What's The Bash Board?

I suspect this remark is sarcastic.

Archived