Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to me IH grain truck with chevy engine

Bought this truck today to haul some grain this fall. Its a 1974 model 1800 that's had a 427 Chevy transplanted into it. No idea what the original engine was. Doesn't look cobbled either. Has a 5x4 tranny with hydraulic brakes and is a twin screw. Seems to have plenty of power. Interior reminds me of pure 2150 IH red.

DSCF2592.JPG

Nice looking truck, I dont think the Chevy engine would be a step up from any of the IH engines.,.

Sorry,, that was kind of harsh, I am sure you have a fine truck there and the 427 will be a great engine for you.

Nice looking truck, I dont think the Chevy engine would be a step up from any of the IH engines.,.

Might not be. Not sure what the original engine was or why it was replaced. But is sure runs a lot better than the 327 and 366 powered trucks that I ran years ago.

It may have had a 404 or 446 gas engine. My 1980 has the 404. It does OK, just need to be patient and use your head loading it. Mine only has a single rear axle and is a 1724.

After blowing another brake line on road today I'm done with hydraulic brakes.

Those old 427 truck engines were good old engines. I've got a 1969 Chevy grain truck with one in it still hummin' along.

That looks decent. I would figire someone had a good 427 industrial and a bad ih. Them tall deck big blocks are pretty tough. But the iron piston ih are as well. Be good truck I bet.

It has some hydraulic brake issues to work on though.

I really wanted air brakes but I ran out of time to keep looking for trucks. Didn't want to spend a lot either. Kind of wanted to keep it 7500 or under. I thought I had a mack found but it turned out it had a weak engine and had to be eithered to get it to start on a 70 degree day. Didn't really want to have that around. Besides that I took it for a spin the other day and it quit before I got back to the guys shop. It acted like it ran out of fuel. Probably plugged filters or fuel lines.

as troy said the 427 tall deck were and are a good engine, same heads as a 366 and pretty much everything on and in them were the same. if you need parts the 427's are getting harder to find but the 366's seem to still be around, i have found that school bus graveyards are a great place to find parts for those as many of the 70's school buses were outfitted with 366 engines, and were pretty well maintained. make sure that someone hasn't put too big a carb on it too, when we got our Chevy c65 it had a 366 with a Holley 850 carb, and it was a gas guzzling pig. we changed out to an Edlebrock 550 4bbl and a 427 block and what a difference, better fuel economy, more power, you will enjoy that 427. take care of it and it will take care of you, do watch out for the manifold to engine pipe donuts, they don't like to stay in them.

That looks like a good truck, and the 427 Chevy is a stout motor. Many people want that motor for tractor pullers and drag racers.

We have a GMC tandem with that motor and the 5 + 4 trans.

it has so many gears that we pull a 500 bu. wagon behind it, and carry another 500 on the truck.

We don't go far and it will run along at about 30-35 loaded, and not even know that big Brent wagon is back there.

We can pull the load out of anywhere, with all those gears to chose from.

I split shift the 2 transmissions when loaded, but empty you won't need to.

not too difficult once you get on to it.

Dan, I used to have a '75 chevy tandem with 18' box, 427 and 13 speed and a '77 Chevy tandem with 427, 5&2 and 18' box, they were both great old trucks and stout, both had air brakes.

I now have an '02 Sterling and '05 Pete with 20' Scott beds and 10 speeds, you may have seen me post pics of them on AgTalk.

That will make a good truck to haul out of the field.

as troy said the 427 tall deck were and are a good engine, same heads as a 366 and pretty much everything on and in them were the same. if you need parts the 427's are getting harder to find but the 366's seem to still be around, i have found that school bus graveyards are a great place to find parts for those as many of the 70's school buses were outfitted with 366 engines, and were pretty well maintained. make sure that someone hasn't put too big a carb on it too, when we got our Chevy c65 it had a 366 with a Holley 850 carb, and it was a gas guzzling pig. we changed out to an Edlebrock 550 4bbl and a 427 block and what a difference, better fuel economy, more power, you will enjoy that 427. take care of it and it will take care of you, do watch out for the manifold to engine pipe donuts, they don't like to stay in them.

First hope the truck works out good.

VT, It's really surprising the number of people who think bigger = more power when it comes to carbs. Had a local kid here who got into drag racing about the time I retired from the Army. When he came to see me because someone told him to look me about his drag car I found out he was running a Chevy 350 with a mild cam and had bought a Holly 750 for it. He was complaining about his times and the car blowing a little black smoke at WOT. I told him the carb was way oversized for the application. He almost told me I was stupid. I told him to talk to the crew chiefs of cars way about his level of competition. Had to give the kid credit. After his next race weekend he stopped by and told me the crew chiefs he talked to all told him the same thing. Couple of weeks later I saw him in town and he's shaved some time off his runs. Had gotten a 525 CFM carb and was running better and no black smoke.

Rick

First hope the truck works out good.

VT, It's really surprising the number of people who think bigger = more power when it comes to carbs. Had a local kid here who got into drag racing about the time I retired from the Army. When he came to see me because someone told him to look me about his drag car I found out he was running a Chevy 350 with a mild cam and had bought a Holly 750 for it. He was complaining about his times and the car blowing a little black smoke at WOT. I told him the carb was way oversized for the application. He almost told me I was stupid. I told him to talk to the crew chiefs of cars way about his level of competition. Had to give the kid credit. After his next race weekend he stopped by and told me the crew chiefs he talked to all told him the same thing. Couple of weeks later I saw him in town and he's shaved some time off his runs. Had gotten a 525 CFM carb and was running better and no black smoke.

Rick

You can only burn so much fuel... That's a tough concept to explain