Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

orionbbs

75' Loadstar Firetruck turned classic car hauler

We have 3 fire trucks with 8V-71s in them, two of those are turbocharged while one is what I like to call "normally aspirated" for a detroit (obviously still has the supercharger. We also have one with an 8V-92 in it, also with a turbocharger. They do really well in fire trucks, but they suck fuel and they are loud as ****. If I'm driving a truck for non emergency purposes I wear ear plugs. If I remember to have some on me, I use earplugs for emergency runs too. And don't even asking about getting to a fire and having to stand by the truck running the pump without hearing protection...

Now, all that said. One of those 8V-71 trucks is a '79 Transtar II twin screw with a 2000 or 2500 gallon tank. It has more highway friendly gears to it than the others and it'll pull 70mph loaded down well over what you'd be wanting to do. The other Detroit powered trucks are geared for 55-60 mph at the governor, and I think our heavy tanker doesn't make it much past 50 with the 8V-92.

So you can definately get the power out of an 8V-71, but I'm not sure about the fuel economy. My biggest concern though will be RPMs. You'll probably have to work out some type of auxillary overdrive or regear it, both of which may not be too simple.

How is the 4x4 set up on that truck? Does it go transmission-pump-t-case-axles? We have one 4x4 engine that actually uses a power divider on the rear axle (like what you'd use for a twin screw truck) but with it pointing forwards. Then it shoots a driveshaft all the way up from the rear axle to the front axle. It results in a single speed 4x4 with no real transfercase. The advantage being that just about all the components on the driveline are identical to a 2wd unit, and it also took care of any issues wth the wheelbase and trying to squeeze in a transfercase. Another 4x4 engine we have has the PUMP itself act as the transfer case. The front driveshaft comes out of the pump. If you have that setup you're in for a lot of trouble. If you have a regular t-case or a power divider setup you should be able to squeeze an auxillary transmission in place of the pump when you remove it.

Shaun a heavy truck salvage yard might be able to help you with the doghouse. If you can't find one out there I have 2 good truck salvage yards near me and will try and find you one. A brownie box is an auxillary transmission usually found in old gas powered dump, cement, heavy use trucks. It mounts behind the transmission and gives you under, direct, and overdrive ranges. GREAT PROJECT!!! Eason

I went to the Charity Challenge Vintage Racing at Sonoma Raceway yesterday. Its really called Sears Point, everyone ignores the new name. Got a chance to met Shaun and his Impala. Shaun is a real nice guy, and his pit operation was darn sharp as well. Think the Impala looks a little brutal in the below pic? You should see it in person, wow what a machine. It was pretty obvious when Shaun was on the track, the 427 made itself well know.

Does the Chevy still have a 283 V8?

Does the Chevy still have a 283 V8?

Czech

I dont think so, probably should wait for Shaun to chime in for sure, but i think i saw 427 stickers on the air cleaner. Boy did it sound nice...

Most of the gas engined 1800`s that arrived here were repowered with Detroit 6V53. 92 series detroits were not around back then, but the 71 series certainly was, and I think the reason 6V71 was not used for repower is they just would not fit comfortably in the 1800 chassis between the fenders. If they would, the extra horsepower would have helped. The 6V53 was a good little engine though, and served the purpose well. They were the best sounding Jimmies of all IMO, The supercharger howel was way more pronounced than on 71 and 92 series. The last 1800`s came stock from IH with the 6V53 (model F1800D)

The 6V71 was an option in the F2010 with 743 Cummins

ENMIM,

It was nice meeting you at the track as well.

Here is the story of the 283 vs. 427.

The car was purchased new in 1965 from Hunter Chevrolet as a factory evening orchid 283 automatic with heater and radio delete (an extremely rare car in its own right), taken home to Roy Mayne and Tom Hunter’s shop and turned into a NASCAR.

They purchased Rex White (this year NASCAR hall of famer) 1963 Impala NASCAR took its engine (originally a 409, later changed over to a 396/120over “427”), Muncie m22 transmission, Ford 9” rear end, and 6lug John Deere combine tractor hubs and swapped them over to the 1965 Impala. They then sold the new parts back to the dealership for more then they paid for Rex’s car! New 65’ Impala parts were apparently hard to come by.

Below you can see photos of the car being built with Roy (left) and Tom (right) building the cage in their driveway. Later you can see Roy and Tom again in the late 70s standing along side the car in the field behind the shop. The last photo is of me sitting on pregrid at Sears Point on Sunday waiting to go on track.

shaun

scan0002.jpgscan0005.jpg10418233_10202880203705942_1983023343852

Shaun,

The tires in the first photo, would those be Goodyear Blue Streaks, or some sort of Poly Glass Gt something or other? Also, John Deere combine hubs? Thats awesome in its own right...

Eldon

Shaun,

The tires in the first photo, would those be Goodyear Blue Streaks, or some sort of Poly Glass Gt something or other? Also, John Deere combine hubs? Thats awesome in its own right...

Eldon

Yup, goodyear blue streaks. Unobtainium these days for anything under $1k a tire for 50 year old tires...

Back again--------you had mentioned the 6V-92 Detroit earlier. Never have run any of the 92 series, but have run 4-53s and 4-71s on the farm. Contrary to alot of knowledgeable guys here on the old tractor forums----------I believe in the old two cycle Detroits when properly matched up to their job. The King of Obsolete runs a Detroit in his old Ford way off up in the Great White North----check him out on the Construction Forum.

Thought I might have some 92 series info---------but don't.

The 6V-92 would be more power------------and slightly larger dimensions. I do know that the 8V-92 series can be turbocharged on both banks (referred to a 8V-92TT--------presume that the 6V-92 can be also???).

Keep us posted----

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

The company I drove for LOVED those "Silver 92's" as they were called, 6V-92TTA's. 308 maximum net HP at 2100 RPM IIRC..I'm positive of the HP, not sure of the exact RPM.. had to have them wound up to 1700 before they'd pull the hat off your head. A 9-spd Road-Ranger was NOT enough transmission for them. Turbo-charged AND super-charged, and a gallon of oil every 500 miles unless they had a BAD leak. There may have been a higher HP version, something around 325 HP, but every one of the dozen or more trucks we had were all 308 HP. They all seemed to get decent MPG, around 4-1/2 to 5 MPG where my 903 Cummins was 4 to 4-1/4 MPG pulling the same loads.

Company had one TranStar with an 8V-92 TTA, 435 HP and a 9-spd RR behind it. It marched right up to an indicated 75 mph top speed in 2-3 miles grossing around 70,000#. It was a PIG on fuel, 3 to 3-1/2 MPG.

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread------just keep thinking about what a great looking truck he has here.

Was wundering if anyone has ever re-powered this size truck with an air cooled DEUTZ diesel????

Am not familiar with power ratings or rpms on Deutz------but elimination of need for radiator would allow for lots more linear space under the hood. And------- Deutz is noted for longevity and fuel economy in irrigation circles.

Edit: don't find any higher hp Deutz air cooled in google searchs----did find Deutz water cooled

DD

That's a beautiful truck! I will throw my idea out there. Save the chassis and sell it and the work body. Get a F110 Frieghtliner or 4700 IH chassis with a diesel and a Allison. Tie that pristine body on it with your flat deck on back. Could even do a Jerr-Dan type roll back bed. Obviously not free. But...it may be cheaper and safer/reliable on the road. Look up www.welderup.com. A shop in LV NV that makes some neat "rat" rods. He has a Hauler/ramp truck built form a 05 4x4 Dodge MegaCab/Cummins with a Diamond T cab and fenders. Very cool and a beast. Hauls around a gasser style '57 chev.

http://www.welderup.com/news/diamond-t-hauler

Not wanting to hi-jack this thread------just keep thinking about what a great looking truck he has here.

Was wundering if anyone has ever re-powered this size truck with an air cooled DEUTZ diesel????

Am not familiar with power ratings or rpms on Deutz------but elimination of need for radiator would allow for lots more linear space under the hood. And------- Deutz is noted for longevity and fuel economy in irrigation circles.

Edit: don't find any higher hp Deutz air cooled in google searchs----did find Deutz water cooled

DD

When I was younger ( probably early- mid 80's) a barn equipment dealer up here had a 3/4 ton Dodge truck with a Deutz engine conversion. I was young enough I don't remember all the details but everyone was talking about it at the time.

And you are correct on the fuel economy of Deutz engines- they are real fuel sippers.

I will have to do some checking but I think Deutz air cooled engines were ( and still are) available up to something like 400-500 hp.

I have a 78 Loadstar 1750 4x4 with the DT466B from the factory

The dog house really does not stick back into the cab that much but you may not be able to run a bench seat

My truck has Bostrom Viking T bar suspension seating in it and they are needed!!

My truck had the 5 speed replaced with a six speed so it is much better on the road now with the extra gear

I think you could run about any tranny you wanted too since the T-case is divorced.

My truck has juice brakes and was a single reservoir master cylinder and hydro-vac I have since converted it to a double reservoir master cylinder with hydro-boost and electric back-up on the boost from a newer IHC S –Series truck

I have gotten as much as 10 MPG empty with this truck