Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FARMALL51

Milestones in IH History , Photos

I'll type this reply in C.A.S.E. (Clear And Simple English).

The IH "millionth" tractor list below is made counting ALL OF THE TRACTORS THAT IH BUILT WORLDWIDE

1-Millionth......?

2-Millionth.....?

3-Millionth.....I-300 Utility

4-Millionth.....Farmall 806

5-Millionth......Farmall 1066

6-Millionth.....????????

The "other" IH Millionth tractors are factory or series specific in their count. They ARE included in the total count used to make the list above.

In late 1973 IH knew it was very close to building tractor number 5 million and could control when they actually would to make it to the day they wanted by decreasing or increasing production.

As for the other brands....

Team green with yellow wheels made their 2 millionth tractor in the 1980's.

CASE made their 1 Millionth in the 1960's (ALOT of steam traction engines were in this count!!!).

Allis, Oliver, White, Minnie Mo........never got to the million mark

Massey and Ford made over a million, but I'm unsure if they ever got to the 2 million mark.

I'm pretty sure Ford got to a million. With the Fordson and 9N alone as they made nearly half a million of each. Although we IH guys don't like to think of either of those as "real" tractors they do share a place in history.

Here is another pic I found this morning while looking through some files for the Huron Roundup Showbook. Be sure to get yours ordered if you have not. We are going to print shortly. I just ordered 10 so I'd have extras for my friends. http://creativecompanystore.com/product/2014showbook

millionthtruck1_zpsff364cf3.jpg

I'll type this reply in C.A.S.E. (Clear And Simple English).

The IH "millionth" tractor list below is made counting ALL OF THE TRACTORS THAT IH BUILT WORLDWIDE

1-Millionth......?

2-Millionth.....?

3-Millionth.....I-300 Utility

4-Millionth.....Farmall 806

5-Millionth......Farmall 1066

6-Millionth.....????????

The "other" IH Millionth tractors are factory or series specific in their count. They ARE included in the total count used to make the list above.

In late 1973 IH knew it was very close to building tractor number 5 million and could control when they actually would to make it to the day they wanted by decreasing or increasing production.

As for the other brands....

Team green with yellow wheels made their 2 millionth tractor in the 1980's.

CASE made their 1 Millionth in the 1960's (ALOT of steam traction engines were in this count!!!).

Allis, Oliver, White, Minnie Mo........never got to the million mark

Massey and Ford made over a million, but I'm unsure if they ever got to the 2 million mark.

Ken, I read in the National Geographic once that had a picture of I think 1million tractor on the assembly line was a 1020 McCormick Dearing.

I will have to check my back issues.

Ray

OLD RED one row cotton picker,

In 1962 and 63 Allied Equipment Co I.H. dealer of Fresno Ca. was doing the restoration work for Producers Cotton Oil on Old Red. My Dad had just purchased a I.H. 220 two row cotton picker from Allied I was 16 or 17 in high school and at time Allied offered new picker owners the opportunity to work in picker shop to acquaint themselves with workings of cotton pickers.

The picker mechanic knew me and how I loved equipment He offered me two summers of internship in picker department.

I being the grunt pressed all the old spindles off the bars of OLD RED . I Candled the spindles to sort good from bad and helped install bars back on that machine. Amongst other picker work.

John Cricthand was the picker head mechanic and he told me the picker was going to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC . Well I was a Kid in high school and That meant nothing to me at the time. All I cared about was that I was actually working alongside of our I.H. mechanics.

I vividly remember the first 806 that arrived at Allied Eq. and watching them getting her ready to be delivered to Melville E. Wilson who later became Western Farm Service, and now is Crop Production Services.

In the early nineties when We visited Washington DC I took my wife to see OLD RED at Smithsonian. I had no idea as a kid who could care less about a museum piece, of the pride I would feel to this day when I see pictures of OLD RED.

Tony

P.S.

Matt,

Thanks for your postings! Its awesome to see the history & milestones of I.H. and realize I lived through many of them.

Then its unbelievable how such greatness is now gone. At least their legacy lives on!

I still have a lot of spindles that I found in my dad's barn. He worked for an IH dealer in El Campo, TX Shult Implement Co.. 1939 - 1968. I used to help him rebuild spindle bars were he worked.

Workers of the Springfield Plant pose with the 4,000,000th truck produced at the plant.

10312477_806638506062174_503614796200929

3,000,000th International Truck produced at Springfield works. Pictured left to right: C.E. Carter, Springfield IH Works Manger; W.E. Wilson, Florida Power and Light Company; Russell C. Burns, Manager IH Retail Truck Sales; J.W. Phillips, Florida Power and Light Miami. WHS Photo10646961_806640426061982_127141840269388