56 or 66. Which one? (Pic)

billonthefarm

So today I was moving things around getting ready to start picking corn when a curious question came to mind when I had both 14's out running around.

imagejpg4_zps2b8ebdb4.jpg

I know they are both dirty. Neither one has oversize tires. I think they are loud enough with the mufflers so no straight pipes. Pretty much the way they left the Farmall works.

So if you could take one, just one of these out for a day of moldboard plowing, which would you pick?

imagejpg8_zpsbeca3057.jpg

Would you choose the 1975 blackstripe 1466,

imagejpg7_zps28141e7c.jpg

Or the 1970 1456 both on Firestone radials full of beet juice and 1500lbs of wheel weights on each tractor.

imagejpg3_zps94c59504.jpg

1456 or

imagejpg1_zpsdde6703a.jpg

Which would you choose and why?

Those sure are good looking tractors for anyone to be proud of. Hard to say anything bad about either. A better question for us to ask is: "Which one would you rather use?" Since you can do a day on each and report your findings to those of us with inquisitive minds, lets hear from you.

I have a set of 14`s just about like yours. Only real difference is my 1466 has 20.`s on it and mine have chrome pipes. B) I would pick the 1466 simply cause they are my all time favorite IH. I have my 1456 on the feed wagon most of the time so I get to drive it daily. Thanks for the great pics Bill, you have two real nice tractors there. If I didn`t already have one of each I would most likely covet yours. Glad to see them being used for what they were built for.

They are both amazing tractors. Its like asking would you rather have a million dollars worth of gold or a million dollars worth of silver? I would have to go with the 1456 though. I really like how they look and the Turbo decal is second to none. I have not ran a 1466 or 1456 so I cant base my decision on how comfortable they are. I have just had a fascination with 1456's all my life. A lot of people around my area and in general ran 66 series tractors. I never did see many 56 series tractors. Maybe thats why I like them more. I just love the style and romance of the 56 series.

Crazy thing is that if I was to farm on my own I would buy a 66 series.

Chris

That would be a tough call,you got two really good looking tractors there!! I would be happy to run either one.

DSC00989_zpsd146a6d2.jpg

I learned to drive on this 1206. When I start it up and drive it, well, it's hard to explain the feeling. The sound, the feel of the shifter, whine of the turbo, its all so familiar. I almost traded this off about 1990.

imagejpg42_zps9ad7e4b7.jpg

It's this view, looking out across that hood, that stole my heart. We had 3 66's when I was a kid. They were new, big, shinny, powerful tractors. I literally grew up looking down those hoods and my opinion has been skewed ever since. The 56 is one sweet running driving tractor, that 1206 will never leave the farm but nothing will ever compare to those 66's in my mind. Who doesn't love that big square hood that stretches out in front of you. The roar of those 400 engines. I'm prejudice, I will pick the 66 every time!

As far as which will do more, they are both very stock. The 66 is a little heavier. My opinion is they are pretty even. Maybe someday I will get the dyno out and invite you guys over for a little fun!

bill

They are both good choices. IMO I'd run the 66.

Those are both beautiful tractors, Bill. Either one would make me extremely happy. I'd lean a little to the 66 just for that view down the hood.

1456. The 56 series are my all time favorite of the numbered tractors. We go up to 1256. I've only ever seen one 14 and that was in Maine almost 25 years ago. I don't care for the styling of the 66 series.

DSC00989_zpsd146a6d2.jpg

Mighty short ROPS on that 1206.

I never got to run a 1466, but I'd like to. I did get to spend several thousand hours looking down that same hood on my 766. I liked the view, too.

I did get to put a few hours on a stout 1456 years and years ago. It was a horse.

Bill,

You've got some great looking machines and evidence of how well built these IH workhorses are as they're still earning their keep. It's great to see such fine specimens of the '06 - '56 - '66 series...

I like yourself, recall when these '66 series first came out, and though I wasn't raised on a farm, my dad owned a bulk milk hauling business so I was privileged to frequent several farms and fondly recall seeing these bright red brutes in their glory... oh how huge they appeared to a 8 - 10 year old boy. This was some extreme power here NW PA/SW NY. I too would choose the '66 as I like the big wider hood :)

A couple final comments, thanks for sharing these great machines with us all and dang, how do you post such nice large pictures?

hard choice for sure but I'd love to have a 1466 to go with my 766.

so I choose the 1466 as a main and the 1456 as a back up

Archived