Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonyinca

304 or 345 Engines

Fellas,

Thinking of replacing my BD 241 with a 304 or 345 V8.

Any experience doing this? and any recommendations on where to acquire a good engine?

This would be going in a 66 1000A 1/2 ton P.U. I know I'll need to add cross members.

Any opinions appreciated.

Tony

tony, any specific reason for doing this? parts avalibility? power? you live in cali. IHPA could be your new best friend. i like the 304 in the light line vehicles. acts more like a small block. meaning it rev's higher. spins up well. makes very good power. parts are dirt cheap on 304 or 345 by my standards. they guys at IH parts america can probably hook you up with anything depending on how much or how little you want to spend on this project. but thats all i have to add. i like the 304. i like ih's. and i like your style. good luck

Thanks IHRunner,

To answer your question why? I have a vision of how I want it to look and I want to show it with tractors and in car show.

I am not afraid of I.H. getting attention by non I.H. fans However , when it starts or hood is open I am afraid eyes will roll with my six.

With a V8 we can do little things to make it look good under hood and sound good.

My goal is to make it look like a sharp light I.H. service truck like our dealer had in the day.

I have a 60's vintage I.H. flip top mechanics box that I want to incorporate into restoration along with pin striping my farm name and I.H. service on door on I.H. red background.

I have a general vision but the detail are still fuzzy .

I know you run these trucks so any other thoughts appreciated.

Tony

It's your project but:

Everyone has v8 powered pickups, every show you go to will have v8 powered pickups.

Very few have any BD241 I-6 engines in pickups any longer.

I would stick with the BD241!!

This is coming from an oleman that ran a 69 4X4 V304 4-speed 1000D Travelal from 75 until 89, up in Napa County Ca.

I also ran a 1960 B100 with the granny-gear 3-speed and the BD240 from 68-70 in Ca.

Now if you want to tow the V304 with the correct gears will get it done better than the smaller BD I-6 but for show I would stick with the I-6.

If I could find a flat-head IH I-6 that would really make a show stopper.

But I always wanted an RD450 powered hauler truck.

Good luck with your project.

Fellas,

Thinking of replacing my BD 241 with a 304 or 345 V8.

Any experience doing this? and any recommendations on where to acquire a good engine?

This would be going in a 66 1000A 1/2 ton P.U. I know I'll need to add cross members.

Any opinions appreciated.

Tony

If I had my druthers I would have a BD 240.

The IH six cylinders are known for burning valves. I'm with Tony on this one and I agree with IHrunner 304 V-8. Eason

Tony,

when I saw this post, I thought that you and I must be cut from the same mold.

I have been debating with myself over this exact issue.

Part of me wants to keep the original motor in my truck, and a big part of me wants to "sport" it up a bit with a nice little v8, such as a 304 or 345.

I have asked for opinions on this site, and got lots of responses that were not in favor of changing the 241.

My owners manual lists the 304 as one of the engine options for 1965, so my truck could have been purchased with that engine.

I see these IH v8s that look and sound great, when they are done. I love the look when they are painted the IH red, and the International lettering on the valve covers is painted silver to stand out. I also like the sound of a v8. Headers may be too much, but a good set of duals would sound sweet.

Maybe it has something to do with us growing up through the age of the muscle cars and cheap gas.

My dilemma is further complicated by my having access to both a complete 304 and 4 speed, that were taken out of a heavier pickup, as well as a 345 with an automatic that is in a truck that is still being driven.

The 304 is complete with carb, intake, exhaust manifolds and 4 speed, still attached. It came out of a truck that is being restored with a diesel.

The 345 with the automatic is being changed out to a diesel as well, and would be a complete engine with headers.

Both engines have been offered to me by guys in my neighborhood that saw my new binder.

I have not made up my mind, totally, as which way I am going with this.

It's very interesting that you are dealing with the same issue.

I will tell you that when I think about firing up that truck and hearing the rumble of that little v8, I get pretty excited, and feel like I would enjoy my truck more having the v8 sound, as well as the way it looks under the hood.

It would not be original but it would at least have an IH engine.

Keep us informed about what you decide to do , I'll do the same

Mark

its your fellows trucks. i enjoy the old sixers. i think it stands out from the crowd of v8 small blocks all lined up at a car show. but if you do want to change it i suggest 304. no chevy small block, and i say this honestly because ive tried, will be as loud or as deep sounding as the ih sv8's. my terra is straight piped. comes out right behind the cab. my chevelle has a 383 stroker that i built to sound as amazing as it possibly could. edelbrock intake. 700cfm edelbrock on top. headers. no exhaust. high flow heads. all it does is sound like a typical lazy muscle car engine. i think its the head design of the ih sv8's that cause such a disturbance in the flow of things. because going down main street if i drop it into third and mash it i can wake all the sleeping shop owners. list of upgrade parts that ih owners seem to enjoy

Stans headers. holley 2300. isky/schnider/comp cam. fan clutch to save your ears. flowmaster 40 series mufflers. i personally dont like mufflers but they sound cool. they also make an ih logo nut for your air cleaner. mallory distributor. or pertronix ignition. i dont think any of this will add much to our beloved binders. but those are some dress up tips. also bill hamilton of hamilton fuel injection makes a bolt on kit for your ih sv8's and 4 bangers.

its totally up to you guys. binder owners probably understand the important role the ih sixers played in history. but if you chaps like the sv8 for creature comfort and wow effect then its your truck and i say good on ya. you have cool trucks already. im excited to see where you go from here

Sure will Mark! Please do the same!

I was little hesitant to bring this up because I knew you were wrestling with same issues!

WE want it both ways LOL. Great arguments either way.

My push to V8 is that no matter what I do to outside when the hood is opened or P.U. is started hearts will sink.

Like you have said 266,304,345 were all options for that P.U.

Out here people roll their eyes if its not Chevy or Ford So I want to go head to head with them with a hot farm motif Binder. LOL

Don't know if I can accomplish it but We'll give it GREAT CONSIDERATION !.

Tony

Thanks I.H.Runner ,

great comments!

Yes, I grew up with and loved the sixer's.

AS you put it, the "WOW" effect sound is what I am wanting to help "back up" that I.H. emblem.

Shoot ,I wish you were closer you could be my builder.

BTW You know this came out of Colorado? Has Colorado historic vehicle plates on it.

Tony

Thanks I.H.Runner ,

great comments!

Yes, I grew up with and loved the sixer's.

AS you put it, the "WOW" effect sound is what I am wanting to help back up that I.H. emblem.

Shoot I wish you were closer you could be my builder.

Tony

im no expert tony. just enjoy tweaking the ol ih to suit my needs. tom mandera is the famous terror of sv8 builders. the guys at IHPA. the silverback custom guys. i prefer to improve upon whats there. as opposed to reinventing the wheel. a built 345 is never gonna out perform a 350 on the strip. what they excell at is durability. longevity. when i was a kid i used to drive a 304 powered loadstar grain truck. id climb out of that thing at the scales and pop the hood and those damn exhaust manifolds would be glowing orange. also ran a gmc with a 305v6 and after about an hour of running it hard the engine would overheat. id loose an exhaust donut. the trans would be at risk of melting gears together. and id loose serious power. just different build theories i guess.

ih v8's are boringly reliable. no drama with them. i hope you guys have good luck with your swaps. ihpa sells some nice motor mounts you may want to look into. may only he for scouts. not sure. but they are rebuildable. oreily carries 11-12 in clutches for a good price. and i can cross reference any parts you might need but are having trouble finding

IH Runner,

You are a wealth of good information.

Thanks for your input on this.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Mark

Those ole sixes can sound mean with aloping cam and a split manifold

A v8 is worth having just for the sound in my opinion. I have duals and glass packs on the 304 Loadstar and it is not offensively loud , just sounds great. The old 72 Scout II 304 sounded excellent through the same exhaust system too.

I think you guys should just go out and find a couple trucks with v-8s. You can't have too many IH trucks. :D
Dennis

when i was a kid i used to drive a 304 powered loadstar grain truck. id climb out of that thing at the scales and pop the hood and those damn exhaust manifolds would be glowing orange. also ran a gmc with a 305v6 and after about an hour of running it hard the engine would overheat. id loose an exhaust donut. the trans would be at risk of melting gears together. and id loose serious power. just different build theories i guess.

The old Fleetstar I drove for a year or so had the 478 CID gas V8.... the inner fender flaps were gone and you could look inside the front wheel wells right into the engine bay, and the exh manifolds would be orange hot after running 60-65 for a couple hours. I have NO idea how that engine lasted so long. Or how a 1/4 inch diameter gas line fed 20 gallons of gas per hour to that engine!

I was too young to get seat time in the 60 degree GMC V6's, but rode shot-gun with Dad a lot, several livestock truckers used them that Dad drove for over the years. I went to the Peoria, IL stock yards with him one night. He'd been driving all day and wanted me to help keep him awake for the last 4-5 hours on the trip down and back. I remember going thru a commercial part of Peoria about 2 AM with that 478 CID V6 Jimmy. The guts had blown out of the mufflers tens of thousands of miles earlier. We were rattling windows REALLY well, as only those V6's could. With an empty 40 ft livestock trailer we could make good time from stoplight to stoplight too. Never had any over-heating issues with the GMC's, actually one of the nicer riding/driving trucks of that era. The CO-190 cab-over was the most common IH truck in our area with the 450-6. Seemed like every livestock trucking co. had a couple. Just something about sitting a foot ahead of the front wheels ruined the ride.

(Ohio Farmer) talks about us growing up in the muscle car age , Its true, but another thing from our time; The Slight Rake.

I told the guy that is helping me with this project that I wanted a slight rake to the front and he looked at me and said "EVERYTHING LOOKS BETTER WITH A RAKE" WOW! he is years younger then me I thought he was going to look at me in disgust.LOL.

Yes, The 50's and 60's have left their mark on us, Ohio Farmer. I feel so lucky to have experienced the 50's 60's 70's. The only problem I am getting to be an old fart now.

Tony

Maybe a warmed up 304 with a 4-71 B&M blower? Butterfly bug catcher just popping out of the hood. Theres your wow Tony! ;-) Or a cute 4B T Cummins with some chrome from that Injection Solutions in Vegas? Just thinking out of the norm!

Maybe a warmed up 304 with a 4-71 B&M blower? Butterfly bug catcher just popping out of the hood. Theres your wow Tony! ;-) Or a cute 4B T Cummins with some chrome from that Injection Solutions in Vegas? Just thinking out of the norm!

everyone and their dog swaps 4bt's and small blocks into ih's lets be original here. if you wanna go really nasty go 6.0 or 7.3. but then you have to upgrade EVERYTHING. or you can slightly port and polish the heads. deck the block and heads. add heavier valve springs. throw a set of tri Y headers on for more sexy tire spining low end torque. do the old school hard work that people had to do before vic sr. created cheap bolt on parts and create a decent performing but badass sounding truck. lol and i dont think id want a 4bt trying to rattle its way out of the engine mounts. although....blower on a sv8....you sick sick man...i like it

GUYS!!!

Little too WARM for me.

But dreaming & visualization is fun.LOL

Tony

Well you want some umph and wow Tony?! Be really dif would be to get a diesel running gear out of a new Ram 1/2 ton or Grand Cherokee. Be dif and get 25 mpg. Only heard good reviews about that set-up. Runner, in IH sake what about a 360 IH from a bus?

dt360 is still to heavy and powerful. that 8.7-8.8 rear axle would blow apart. youd just hear ring gears going tink tink tink tink lol. if tony is lucky that diamond under the hood made sure that his binder has better gears for cruising. like 3.73's over 4.09's. my dad always taught me that if you cant get the horse power you want. then use mechanical advantage. 3.73's would allow you to make better use of the 304's power band. since it has such a broad flat torque band you might as well have gearing that keeps you at peak torque after your rebuild. it wont actually be more power. but it would help increase the wow factor. i have 3.73's under my terra. 304/t19 combo. about 6100lbs loaded now. and when i mash it in 2nd gear pulling onto highway 50, theres nuthin more satisfying than watching the smoke pour off my 170 dollar a tire 31's.

you just have to build a binder different. utilize what it has. its a big bore v8. puts down hard torque numbers. so a cam made for torque. basic rv cam. heavier valve springs to take it up to higher rpm for a bit more usuable hp. lighten up the con rods if you want so it spins faster. bump the compression. put a good exhaust system. good fuel delivery. and maybe. you can gain 30 hp and 40 ft/lbs of torque lol. is it worth it? up to you guys to decide.

i forgot ihpa does make an aluminum intake that lightens the wee beast up by 30lbs or so. and gives you the option of a 4bbl carb. not that a 304 could make much use of one. but for wow effect. you never know

Tony,

I can hook you up with some wow that would look oddly like a DV800

Here picture of wood intake manifold from IHPA, it was at there booth last year @ Scout Nats. I got to meet the owner of IHPA, Jeff. Really good guy, drives from CA to OH each year to support IH people. His saying is, "We race farm machinery" He has the intakes made somewhere in SoCal. This is how the process starts off. Then a reverse mould is made, then cast the aluminum.

116_zps3cc4974a.jpg