Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MN Binder

My New (to me) IH Cargostar Truck

post-64157-0-38621400-1409155894_thumb.jJust purchased a 1974 1710B Cargostar truck.....has a 24' hydraulic tilt bed and hydraulic winch....truck seems to be in very good shape, as it has been in storage for many years....has a 392 V-8, and 4 speed with 2-speed rear axle....not real familiar with these trucks, just wondering if there is anything that I should be aware of to check for on these trucks....I plan on fixing it up, and using it for hauling my old IH tractors....also wondering what the value of something like this is?

That looks to be a tidy ,straight truck , If at all possible prelube the engine with pressurized oil . before starting

This can be easily accomplished with a pump up garden sprayer and the necessary fittings to tap into the oil journal,

And the usual things ,check fluid levels , check what is left in the gas tank , check to make sure that mice

haven't made a picnic area out of your wiring harness and other vitals ,fuel lines etc,

Good Luck with it , Keep us posted

Pretty nice looking truck. Got one on our local CL that has been there a long time but it doesn't have the hydraulic bed or winch for 4000.00. The only thing I would add to what kevingweq suggested would be to check your bank account to see if it will handle fuel cost. lollol. My loadstar (345 with 540 Allison) gets about 6.5 to7 mpg pulling 12000 lbs. Not cheap but it sure gets looks and is fun to drive. Also figure on spending time at fuel stops talking to people about it. Enjoy.

Dennis

Thanks for the replies!....It does run, but definitely needs a tune-up.....first order of business will probably be going through the carburetor, as I have to run with the choke about 1/2 way on to keep it running....body is rust free, bed is in nice shape, all lights and interior items work, interior is excellent, aside from 1 small cut in the driver's seat cushion....only thing that doesn't work so far is the radio....I got it for $1600.00, so I think I got a pretty good deal....I had no idea on the value of these, but figured you don't get much for that kind of money, so I gave it a shot....will be getting it home this weekend, will keep posting updates....

That old tilt bed should really be handy.

sounds like either carb or fuel pump issues. my guess would be carb. that 392 will haul anything you want and then some. and it'll beg for more pain.

Heck the bed is worth more than $1600!!! The only thing I'd worry about is the cab jack. Most parts for it are NLA. NICE truck!! Eason

Brakes good even? Good buy !

Good looking truck--------defitnitely a bargain.

I would make sure you have good rubber on the front axle------you may have some dry rot with the age situation. And------------you will get more load on the front axle with the cab over and long bed set up.

Good luck-------keep us posted on your progress.

DD

Looks great from the outside, love the looks of those. BK

nice good looking ride hard to find them as good as that one anymore. i remember them new at the dealer save that one.

Finally got the truck home this past weekend, drove it home, as it was only about 30 miles away.....trip went well, although I did lose brakes about 5 miles into my trip.....good think the parking brake held well, or when I had to stop at that major highway, it could have been a real mess! Found one brake line that had a pinhole in it, and lost all my brake fluid....easy fix....got the old girl washed up, and have polished it some....looking alot better already....next will be a tune up.....more pics to come soon....

LOL-------bringing up old memories about coming home with no brakes on the old loadstar.

But you had the advantage over me with your Cargostar-------in that you would be the first one to get to the wreck---------get the best view!!!!!

Wouldn't doubt that you might find some more leaks----------probably be good to hold full pressure on the brakes for a few minutes????

Is that a rollback or straight tilt bed. I've got a 22 ft rollback on the Loadstar (150" cab to axle). We always wanted to upgrade to the Cargostar (more load capacity----more manuervability)

Keep us posted---------sure looks to be a clean old truck--------good luck.

DD

Here's a pic of the LH side and the interior.....have things partially cleaned up.....surprisingly, most things are in better shape than I thought they would be....

DD...it's a 24' straight tilt bed....wish it was a rollback, that would be really handy!

post-64157-0-96739500-1410379599_thumb.j

post-64157-0-88711500-1410379618_thumb.j

Your interior is awesome !!!! Someone really took great care of it !!

I Really like the Truck, Its a real clean looking Unit. I am spying a Cargostar here locally. I got fingers crossed and praying it may go through! I have always liked the old cargostars and loadstar cabovers. I had a 73 at one time as well.

Wish me Luck!!!!

Ok....working on tuning this old girl up now....pulled carburetor off to go through it, as it looks as though it has never been apart, and the accelerator pump is stuck, and looks like it has been for quite awhile. Question I have is, the distributor on this engine has IH stamped on everything, and has a tag on the outside that is held on by one screw, looks like a tag you would see on a Prestolite, but has an IH stamped on it, and a part number of 27965c91....is this a Prestolite, or what is it? I would like to install electronic ignition in this if possible.....Thanks for any help you may have!

picture would sure help a ton and a half. all my ih stamped distribs are holley. pertronix part number 1481. if its prestolite i believe its part number 1483

Here is the best picture I could take of the distributor.....hope this helps....

post-64157-0-63383900-1410959514_thumb.j

Anyone able to identify this distributor?

Thanks!! That was kinda what I was thinking after doing some research, but just wanted another opinion....

On to fixing the brakes now....the RH rear brakes did not work, and after pulling everything apart, it was easy to see why....both the brake cylinders were completely shot. Amazingly, was able to get them for $24.00 each new, which shocked me, as I thought they would be much higher priced...also replaced the clutch slave cylinder, as that started seeping as well, that was only $28.00 new....the brake pads look like brand new, so that's a plus, but the brake adjusters were rusted up solid from sitting....found out how much fun they are to get loose when rusted badly, but nothing a little hot wrench help and some penetrating oil couldn't fix...lol! The LH rear brakes work, but after seeing what the other side looked like, I am going to tear into the LH side also....would much rather fix now, than be stuck along the road somewhere with a load on....going to put all new brake lines on also, as they all look pretty rusty, and who knows how long they will last....so far the only parts that were somewhat hard to come by were the correct rear wheel seals, ordered twice from the local NAPA, and couldn't get the right ones, so ended up getting directly from a Navistar dealer, and were actually cheaper than through NAPA anyhow...kinda a nice departure after working on tractors for years to change gears and work on something different for a bit....definitely a learning experience!

Finally got some time to work on the old truck, with all the other projects we have had going....ran all new brake lines, and finally got good brakes on all 4 corners, and rebuilt the 2-speed rear axle motor, so the 2-speed rear axle would actually shift....got to take the old girl for a test drive this last Sunday, and was very happy to find that it has an excellent heater, as it was below zero with a stiff wind....drove like a dream, and 55-60 mph seemed to be no problem at all....few more minor things, and will be going into cold storage for the rest of the winter, as we have a few more pressing winter projects to do....

Binder

Congratulations on a job well done. I know you are glad to have everything work out so good. These things take on a life all their own. You will not regret all the hard work, it will last a long time now.

GT&T