Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tntractor

856 freewheels

I have an 856 in the shop for clutch replacement. Now, the owner told me that it will freewheel in both direct and TA. The unit was changed about 10 years ago, btw. The cast housing was cracked, and he bought a used casting and put the fully functional TA into to different casting and from the get-go, it freewheeled. He has been wearing out brakes left and right. What can cause freewheeling?

I have to thank all of you that posted pictures of splitting stands. I built one based on what you guys have posted and it works really well. No more trying to split tractors with the A frame and chain hoist.

10 yrs ago? It probably would have been better to have fixed it back then, but since he didn't, I guess I'd start over and put a new T/A in, put a kit in the MCV, and make sure all of the T/A, clutch, dump valve, and trans brake adjustments are all perfect...and that would cover your butt.

But if you want to try to fix what he has...I'd at least check the high and low side pressures, maybe put a kit in the MCV and make sure all of your adjustments are spot on. If that don't take care of it, you're going to have to tear into it, anyway...

Travis

Check the pressures like Sparky said. Just thinking if it free wheeled from the get go maybe the O-rings on the three tubes are bad or not there. Or maybe when they were changing the T/A over they damaged the sealing rings on the shaft. It does sound like oil pressure is not getting where it should be.

too bad Al didn't tell you about the freewheeling before you took it apart. but if you put it back together to check pressures and have to take it back apart again to replace something, a rich guy like Al probably won't mind. you can quote me on that. LOLOL

Yeah. It would have been a good thing had he told me about it before I split the tractor. I have the gauges. I wonder if I am smart enough to use them, though. Argh. I don't know much about the TA system, and it just seems way too odd that it will pull a load in high or low, but won't hold a load back in either.

Yeah. It would have been a good thing had he told me about it before I split the tractor. I have the gauges. I wonder if I am smart enough to use them, though. Argh. I don't know much about the TA system, and it just seems way too odd that it will pull a load in high or low, but won't hold a load back in either.

I agree it does not add up that the high side, would pull but free wheel. Low side, yeah.

This might be a dumb thought but was the tractor actually shifting up and down or did the owner just think it was.I've had some real arguments with people that have brought stuff to be fixed but they are always right!

I had a 1486 in the shop a couple of years ago that would pull up hill (t/a front) with no problems. After it started down the other side it would free wheel. After removing the center section I found the input shaft had 3/8 of an inch end play. I replaced the t/a and set it at .005 end play and the owner never had the problem again. If someone swapped the t/a in this 856 from another housing and did not know how to set it up or pushed the input shaft back and pushed the snap ring out of place to allow the shaft to move, it could be the cause of the free wheeling. Hope this helps, good luck.