Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tonyinca

My New I.H. Binder P.U.

Got my new binder last weekend . Love it! Drives great its in tremendous shape for its age.

However I have decided to restore it to new condition in I,H, Red to go with my tractor collection.

I considered leaving it original but there is to many little things that does not do it justice.

I think a complete resto will restore its beauty and make it car show worthy as it deserves to be.

Few pictures of it

Tony

post-8888-0-73541400-1407991377_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-72068600-1407991409_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-80502100-1407991437_thumb.jp

you never cease to amaze tony. absolutely beautiful find. that truck is in great hands

Seems like it sits a bit low? Be hangin some twice pipes eh!

M Diesel,

It does sit low ! I looked under don't see any signs of lowering . I was thinking just settle from age.

It drives good no rattles. Actually I do like the lower stance.

Twice pipes yea I think so .(Tastefully being its a six not much you can do on sound)

Tony

you never cease to amaze tony. absolutely beautiful find. that truck is in great hands

Well Thanks IHRUNNER, Appreciate the compliment! I am going to try to do it proud so it can hang with the Chevys & Fords.

I have been asked to attend several car shows with tractors because they say people want more they are bored with same stuff.

So, my thoughts are park the old Binder next to the Farmall tractor.

Tony

Well Thanks IHRUNNER, Appreciate the compliment! I am going to try to do it proud so it can hang with the Chevys & Fords.

I have been asked to attend several car shows with tractors because the say people want more they are bored with same stuff.

So, my thoughts are park the old Binder next to the Farmall tractor.

Tony

all those ih ad's with a combine in the back. a scout hauling firewood. the family hopping into the old pickall to go to town. grandpa waving from the farmall. you live that ad. i love its stance and im pretty sure thats stock. it made it ride more like a car less like a horrible brick on wheels. nothing wrong with a good ol heavy 6er.

i bet that thing will turn heads so fast you'll hear necks pop. and i assure you. chevy and ford never made vehicles quite that pretty. those chrysforderlet guys will be drooling over "something different" you chose a beautiful starting point!

Tony, thanks for the pics,

I can't wait to see it when it's done. I know that it will look better than new.

I am planning to keep mine as original as I can, also. But there are many things that I will be restoring on the truck to make it more show quality.

Those old IH's do get a lot of attention at the car shows and cruise ins.

In our area, there are still many guys around that worked at the IH plant in Fort Wayne. Those guys will really give my truck a going over and we have had some great conversations.

Have fun with your new project,

Mark

That truck looks pretty outstanding condition for it's age. I'm staying with the original unrestored look on my 59. At least that is my story. :) A little turtle wax rubbing compound to bring out a shine in the original paint and get all four wheel brakes working.

IMG_2034_zps94c3917d.jpg

That truck looks pretty outstanding condition for it's age. I'm staying with the original unrestored look on my 59. At least that is my story. :) A little turtle wax rubbing compound to bring out a shine in the original paint and get all four wheel brakes working.

IMG_2034_zps94c3917d.jpg

Loadstar,

That 59 looks great! My Dad had a 1960 same body style as yours color was white and tan.6 cyl. four speed

It was first vehicle I drove to school after my license.

We had a dairy so I spent all day Sunday before taking it to school washing the fly specks off outside and inside.LOL

Tony

Tony what a pretty truck :) Best of luck with it

For everyones benefit Rockauto.com is discontinuing a whole bunch of IHC parts

and are having some very good discounts on them ,

IHrunner what a classic beauty , That chrome up front is awesome

Here is latest update on my new binder!

The body is at blaster.

post-8888-0-87040700-1425966132_thumb.jp

Blaster? I thought it was spotless?!!

Blaster? I thought it was spotless?!!

Yes, Spotless faded yellow, Need it off for red paint. Need frame powder coat black.

Man you are a man of details!

Guys,

My engine is done at machine shop.& tranny is rebuilt.

I bought it as a 304 but machine shop says its a 345 . He says its basically same motor but with longer stroke. My heads were trashed. Found used heads that had no repairs done to them . Rebuilt with new valves, seats, guides. planed it.

Rocker arms were bad so he had new rocker set up made along with push rods. He installed a performance cam.

Crank was good ,polished it, new pistons& bored.

Now waiting on body man. Frame was at coater for powder coating.

Was at a large Car show this past weekend in Morro Bay Ca. Had just about everything there but NO I.H. pick up or anything I.H.

I was taking in all the pick-up resto's there from totally tricked out to maintain integrity of original vehicle but sport it up just enough. There was Fords & chevy's done every which way. However my Favorite was a 1952 chev. pu. nice original colored paint job, lowered a little ,deep wheels , running gear was all updated with a 350 in it with four speed with long old stick nicely done. It belong to two sisters and it was there fathers farm truck when they were growing up.

I would like my binder done pretty much like that. Keep the integrity of I.H. make the 345 as snippy as possible with out going to racing gear. Perhaps headers & flow masters for sound. chrome all most eccessories on engine. Buff brass on radiator , electronic ignition,and all that goes with that.

Not yet sure on interior may decide to do vintage air, Hoping to get quality oem gauges if not then go high quality gauges , seats not sure, may do bucket with console. It had no radio, I'll leave the dash virgin. for tunes I'll mount speakers for Pandora behind seat.

Wheels, probably reversed deep steel painted with beauty rings and original I.H. chromed caps. Rear bumper , most of these had heavy Barton style bumpers . will try finding light duty chrome bumper then make receiver hitch on frame with hitch behind lic. plate.

Lets see how close I come to this vision at finish. Getting anxious started last Oct. figure it will year and half yet. As we all know that do projects its the finish stuff that takes forever.

Tony

IH put a four barrel carb on 345's, none for 304's, so you lucked out there. The 392 intake is the same as your 345 if you are looking in wrecking yards for one. Headers are a good idea since stock manifolds are hard to find any more.

????Your second post sez it's a six, then you say it's a 345. Which is it?

????Your second post sez it's a six, then you say it's a 345. Which is it?

Yes, the truck being restored had a SIX ! When we started our journey and seeing the amount of work and money going into this thing ,I decided a I.H. V8 available to this truck in 1966 would compliment effort much better. The motor came from a 1966 donor P.U.

Thanks for info on intake manifold & exhaust manifolds.

Pictures for you.

The beginning

post-8888-0-24553900-1430747482_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-62502000-1430747660_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-52692200-1430747710_thumb.jp

Donor 345 ready for machine shop ,Four speed tranny ready for Tranny shop.

These items came off a barely running 1200 B I.H. P.U.

post-8888-0-03423200-1430747862_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-54156200-1430747906_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-02483600-1430747967_thumb.jp

Fitting engine & tranny on frame and sheet metal before proceeding.

Making new motor mounts on frame

post-8888-0-01441700-1430748978_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-86143200-1430749054_thumb.jp

Introducing My out of town city grown Grandson to a 1966 I.H. P.U.

Showing him the big block gas guzzling engine Grampa is playing with.

Told him not to tell his teacher because she would expect a Prius motor in it and that Grampa is causing the ice to melt and oceans to rise.

I told him Grampa is old world, survived all these horrible inventions! Grampa, is going to play with the Bad Boys on this project and He may end up showing it more then Grampa in his lifetime lol.

I told him better learn all you can about it because no-one from his generation will know what it is. lol.

Tony

post-8888-0-31855000-1430749716_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-95191100-1430749769_thumb.jp

This is my six that we removed it ran very good.

This is all for this P.U. for now Body is back from blaster and frame is at coater for powder coating.

Next post on this thread is my second Binder waiting in shed.

Tony

post-8888-0-43821900-1430750155_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-46829700-1430750202_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-62790500-1430750262_thumb.jp

This is a 1966 3/4 ton I.H. with factory L.P. 304 w/four speed.

It was bought new by our Late blacksmith . He passed it to his grandson upon his death ,his grandson used for years until he was given a new job opportunity and could not take the truck.

I promised to restore it in honor of his Grampa & the local blacksmith that helped me so much to keep my old used red equipment running when I started farming.

I bought it for a token payment.

I have build sheet of when it was ordered and the factory L.P. provision & the delete fuel guage on dash board.

Its in the shed now being well kept until I finish the 1/2 ton . Then we'll concentrate on this one. Want to keep it as flat bed service truck.

post-8888-0-36697100-1430750427_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-75359200-1430750466_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-22914300-1430750545_thumb.jp

Well , I am getting ahead of myself! But can't wait to get these two binders finished .

I restore tractors but not trucks so I am at mercy of a professional restorer who is very busy and meticulous.

Tony

post-8888-0-64094200-1430751359_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-58357400-1430751453_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-37196800-1430751486_thumb.jp

That white one need to be brought back 'correct' for the family. As close to the everyday as it was 40 years ago.