966 Engine/Pump questions

chadd

Looking for advise regarding the American Bosch pump on our 966. Engine has 7000hrs on it. Idle oil pressure is around 65psi. Several years ago, the low idle screw assembly loosened up and fell off the pump. After it was screwed back in, the idle and shut-off functions wouldn't work right. It was sent to the dealer for them to fix. After getting it back, the shut off worked correctly and the idle speed was to spec (not sure what the dealer did, the anti-tamper wires weren't cut on the pump), but since returning, the tractor has not been the same, so I am looking for input. Basic complaints are that it smokes blue and blubbers a lot more than it used to on startup (even on a 70 deg. day), has a weird "flutter" that comes and goes between idle and 1/4 throttle (has gotten better since replacing all 6 injectors; dealer had only replaced 2 with the rest being 40 years old), and has lost a LOT of power on the low end (idle to 900rpm). Releasing the clutch on the tractor in 4th HI TA at less than 1000rpm on a slight hill will stall the engine. Engine can be immediately restarted; no smoke cloud on restart. It seems governor response/lack of fuel/injection pump related as the engine doesn't even seem to lug or fight back, the engine just dies. Fuel line between tank and pump were all cleaned out. New CNH fuel filters are installed regularly. The supply hose to the pump was replaced years ago, but it is the dealer supplied one, and not hydraulic hose. It has 6 reman injectors and 6 new injector sleeves installed as of spring. I am wondering if there is something I can check/re-adjust myself before going to the professionals. I don't want to yank the pump, have it rebuilt, re-install it, and find that the same problem is still there.

Thanks.

For the blubber, I would first check static timing. If ok, I would want to check the advance but that requires a timing light and some specs. For crapping out at low speed, I would take the top cover off and from there remove the droop screw. If they never broke a seal I don't see how they could have changed any setting in pump and the advance mechanism may just be worn out.

dont take this the wrong way, but i starting off in HI 4th will only ruin the clutch. just my opinion.

The pump needs to be gone through along with the injectors. If the head has never been off you might want to pull it off and check you lifters and cam shaft condition , it might be time to go through the motor if its never been touched.

Danny

Archived