Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farmer 43

345 distributor brand.

I was able to get my 74 3/4 ton started, but defenatly needs some tunning up!

My local auto parts store has a listing for 2 different brand names for the cap. They say it could be a holly, or another brand I can't remember the name.

How do I know what brand I have on my truck? I had the cap off, and I'm not seeing any marking that gives me an idea?

Thanks

Farmer.

it'll be holly or prestolite probably. do you have points or electronic ignition?

Holly has male sparkplug wire connections (push on) Prestolite has female (push in ) should be a tag on the dizzy

I honestly dont know if they interchange ????

Yes prestolite!! That's what it was.

Thanks for the replies

IHRunner- I have points!

Kevin- I took a look, and the cap itself I would say is female, making it a prestolite and the plug wires them selfs insert into the cap.

Thanks guys.

there we go. team work. digital hi five kevin

also. if you get tired of points, go to IH parts america. they sell pertronix electronic ignition for ih v8's. its a little more conservative than a holley gold box. and less finicky than points. but im glad you're sorted out. the prestolite cap they give you will probably be light blue. unless they finally went to black. i have three in boxes on the shelf. they wont need replaced twice in that vehicles lifetime lol

Sorry but you are on the losing team. 1974 used the Holley points distributor. Holley has female terminals on the cap. Prestolite has male terminals on the cap. 1975 used the Holley "gold box" electronic distributor.

Being a Holley sounds better! For whatever reason my local parts dealer can only get the Holley.

The are able to get the cap, coil, and wires overnight , so I will get that ordered!!

For the little bit I am gonna use this truck I think I will keep the points. (They seem to be working now after sitting 10 years). If they give trouble later on, I can try switch it over. To be honest I'm not real familiar with all the electronic stuff, but learning. Lol.

Thanks again.

Farmer.

IH runner contrary to the beliefs of "Travelette " Here is the proof of us being on the winning team , this is the distributor in my 67

Travelall , With low and behold Female sparkplug connections !!! But in Travelette's defense I will say that both Holleys and

prestolite distributors came with both styles of caps , So to be safe I guess we have to look at the tags :)

post-77390-0-39184900-1406772633_thumb.j

post-77390-0-40392900-1406772641_thumb.j

i have 50 distributor caps of varying sexes. all i know is that the points system finally wore a hole in my paitence and i switched to gold box and pertronix. im a capitalist. i want everyone to be on the winning team. lets all call it fair and drink a beer in a toast to ourselves. and our problem solving skills. and if anyone ever needs a distrib call me. i have a box of those too lol

What someone has cobbled on one truck has nothing to do with how IH built them. Holley never had male terminal caps from the factory. Prestolite distributors had male terminal caps and were not factory installed until the late 70's. That is the correct information,period. I have over 30 years of IH parts experience and I currently own about 20 IH light line trucks. Who counts. The majority of my trucks are 74 and 75 pickups. So believe who you want to.

Wait till the gold box system dies in the middle of nowhere. You can limp home with points but not with electronic. I'll keep my points. Even my later scouts have points. LESS trouble. Eason

Wait till the gold box system dies in the middle of nowhere. You can limp home with points but not with electronic. I'll keep my points. Even my later scouts have points. LESS trouble. Eason

i keep a brand new gold box in my scouts. 5 min's and a phillips head screwdriver has me back on the road.

IH what the heck is inside the "Gold Box" anyhow ,??? Never seen one apart ,

an early computer board. kinda looks like the inside of an old radio. basically the gold box would burn up if you left the key on and the engine not running. a small resiator would heat up and poof. which is why my truck has a push start, gasp, i know. i bypassed the gold box so the key doesnt send power to it now. only a toggle switch where my ash tray used to be. i feel like a jet fighter in my terra. all kinds of knobs and buttons to get me in trouble

an early computer board. kinda looks like the inside of an old radio. basically the gold box would burn up if you left the key on and the engine not running. a small resiator would heat up and poof. which is why my truck has a push start, gasp, i know. i bypassed the gold box so the key doesnt send power to it now. only a toggle switch where my ash tray used to be. i feel like a jet fighter in my terra. all kinds of knobs and buttons to get me in trouble

You can by pass the gold box and it will start & run? I wish I knew that when I had my Terra. I got stranded on a beach on the Texas Gulf Coast. What the purpose of the Gold box?

You can by pass the gold box and it will start & run? I wish I knew that when I had my Terra. I got stranded on a beach on the Texas Gulf Coast. What the purpose of the Gold box?

no. you cant bypass it. its a control module. what i did was bypass it from the key. so with the key on i have gauges and accessories like radio. but the gold box isnt hot. the gold box is only hot when the toggle switch is on

I still have the old factory installed points ignition system in all my IH trucks. They are pretty much trouble free and I can't remember when I had to replace a set of points. In fact I am trying to find out what type distributor my Loadstar 1600 has so I can order a new set of points and condensor to keep on hand, (just in case). Although as someone already said, and I have done it myself on a Chevy, you can open up the distributor and file or adjust the points to get going sometimes in the event of problems.

My 73 1210 4x4 has over 300,000 mi. on it and I'm pretty sure it's had no more then about 5 or 6 sets of points it's entire life. It just isn't hard on the points at all.. I don't use it much any more, but in the past I did check dwell quite often and maybe reset the points, maybe that helped them last longer, but I sure didn't change them very often. I always had an extra set in the glove box, but never did have to change them on the road.

Ok, I told them I had the holey cap, and they hooked me up with a cap that was a cross over.

It looks the same but I haven't installed it yet.(busy doing other projects) I also got plugs and wires.

I checked the points and they didn't look bad to me.

My next issue is trying to get a carb kit. I told them it was a two barel Holley for a 345, and they gave me 3 options.

I found some numbers on the front of the carb, to give them for a part #, but no matches??

So I guess now I'm asking if anyone can help me out finding what carb kit I need??

Thanks again fellas.

Farmer.

picture would help. all my scouts had a 2210. i replaced them with holley 2300's that you can pick up new for 300. i think when you order a rebuild kit for the 2210 it sends gaskets for the other smoggerator version as well. last time i ordered a rebuild kit for my 2210 it came with two seperate throttle body gaskets if i remeber right...what im trying to say is "i think" one kits encompasses the two style of smog carbs used. your truck may have a 2300 variant...just a quick picture and one of us could tell you. or go over to binder planet and search their pictures til you find one that matches yours lol

edit, forgot you had an older truck. it very well may be a 2300 variant on there.

I managed to get a couple pics.

Hope they can help you guys figure what carb kit I need.

Thanks again.

post-64516-0-09651000-1407348027_thumb.jpost-64516-0-07822200-1407348055_thumb.j

If you cant find anything local, try Southland International in Lethbridge Ab. The current owner George has owned it since 85. He is IH truck nut & stocks lots of truck parts.

sure does look like a smoggerator.

Farmer 43

If you truck has a Holley carbruetor, it should have " List Number" stamped in the air horn around the choke. You will have to have the air cleaner off, it may also have an aluminum tag that has the list No. on it. This number will be 4 numbers.

GT&T

Just got done putting a kit into one like what you picture. List number was R6620. The kit I used was Standard Hygrade 929A. Even made in the USA! The list number is stamped in the fuel bowl. It is to the left of the fuel inlet line. This carb also had an IH part number stamped in it. Don't recall what that was. Application was 1974 1600 with 345 engine. Hope that gets you going in the correct direction.