Post your Projects Here!

Before and after pictures of my 1964 706 diesel. My dad bought the tractor new. The only thing I changed was painting the front rims silver instead of red and painting the fast hitch silver instead of white.

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

• Like 10

18 hours ago, limelight66 said:

Before and after pictures of my 1964 706 diesel. My dad bought the tractor new. The only thing I changed was painting the front rims silver instead of red and painting the fast hitch silver instead of white.

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

Nice job  and from the looks of the corn it only took you about a week.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Lorenzo, thanks.  I didn't think about how I could fool people with those pictures! But they were a year apart. I dropped off the tractor at a repair shop in September, telling him I just want it back the following spring. Well I wasn't a very squeaky wheel and by the following June I still didn't have it back. So then I had to press him and he finally got enough done that I could take it home and finish some repairs before I sent it to my painter. I wanted it done for a threshing show and it was finished in the 11th hour. I missed the first day of the show but had it there the following two days. That was the last time I took anything to that particular repair shop. My painter was awesome and got on it as soon as I brought it in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm new here, so please try to cut me a bit of slack while I learn my way around.

I'm working on my 656. My first project is to prepare it for this coming winter. Trying to install a Kats block heater in my diesel, and it isn't cooperating. After. some measurements, it turns out that the heater element is hitting between the number 3&4 cylinder walls. So now, I have to try to return it and look for something else that will fit. The thought of trying to start the 656 cold in the winter just isn't pleasant to contemplate.

Project number two is removing the fenders and ROPS to clear the mounts for the front end loader. My problem here is lifting everything off. Working on setting up a cable and snatch block, but want to brace the shop overhead so it doesn't get damaged during the lift.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 2/9/2012 at 7:33 PM, 660 driver said:

Progress so far on our super M....Just replaced tie rods and waiting on a new used left side spindle from all states ag parts in Hendricks,Mn. Customer service there was excellent. Next we are gonna pull the sleeves and hopefully replace with larger sleeves and pistons. Any suggestions on pulling sleeves and what piston and sleeve kits to use would be appreciated!

Tony

post-52693-0-57270800-1328834019_thumb.j

post-52693-0-00281400-1328834032_thumb.j

This is cool tractor I like the m tractors pretty cool

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eeyore65 said:

This is cool tractor I like the m tractors pretty cool

Thanks! It now has been painted and got an engine out of a 400 with m&w pistons and governer.

• Like 1

Heres what it looks like now. Needs new tires yet.

20180624_173908.jpg

• Like 5

One of my spring projects is cleaning up after the Cats. I have Cat piles after the winter snow melted. Can ya tell I have large Cats and they leave very big piles.

IMG_3738.JPG

IMG_3739.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Heading down the rabbit hole.

Stop by and watch me try to fix these old Cats.

IMG_3877_Moment.jpg

• Like 2

This is my Meili-Blumberg grader conversion on an MD.

I picked it up pretty cheap as it only ran on gas. The previous owner has me convinced that it's just a clogged screen in the injection pump.

Its gonna be a useful tool for keeping up on our miles and miles of gravel and dirt roads on our 1,200 acre Ranch here in Western Oregon.

I'm needing help figuring out how to disassemble the injection pump and I'm interested in any history that anyone knows about these machines. I understand that this one was sitting in a field in central Oregon for years and years before the most recent owner purchased it.

Screenshot_20200607-213844_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213816_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213745_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213726_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213921_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213901_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213713_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200607-213655_Gallery.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, VWDan said:

This is my Meili-Blumberg grader conversion on an MD.

I picked it up pretty cheap as it only ran on gas. The previous owner has me convinced that it's just a clogged screen in the injection pump.

Its gonna be a useful tool for keeping up on our miles and miles of gravel and dirt roads on our 1,200 acre Ranch here in Western Oregon.

I'm needing help figuring out how to disassemble the injection pump and I'm interested in any history that anyone knows about these machines. I understand that this one was sitting in a field in central Oregon for years and years before the most recent owner purchased it

Dose that MD have a Botch or International Harvester injection pump?

Doesn't matter what type injection pump is to check this stuff :
First: Fuel:
status of fuel, is it old? Do you have an algae growth? Are the fuel lines free and clear from tank to the primary pump?
The primary pump has the glass water sediment bowl.

Are you getting fuel to the filter? again check line to filters and fittings... in the video it really starts to leak on the starter after I turned on the fuel tank valve. It was the brass fitting
Glass bowl is sucking air into system

Pickup pump: I had to go through the pickup pump luckily the rubber valves needed to be lubed and moved, they were still soft and worked after loosening. Then check filter and  lines to pump.. The rubber valve would not allow/pump fuel to pass into filter and injection pump.

Now what kind of pump is it?

After the injection pump is a valve that checks the return pressure to the fuel tank This valve needs to work

Has anyone touched the injection pump timing? ... don't touch ... yet!!!!

I would also pull fuel and oil filters cut them up to see status of fuel and engine oil, you would looking for water, metal or foreign material.

One difference between the Botch and the IH pumps is where they discharge excess fuel. The Botch pump (a sealed lubricating system) will discharge any fuel bypass into the pump thinning and flushing lubricating oil from the injection pump through the overflow on the bottom - outside the system. Whereas, the IH pump uses engine oil to lubricate and when they wore out of spec the discharge of excess fuel was returned to the crankcase engine oil thinning the engine oil and harming internal parts.

This is a Batch inj. Pump on a 1946 TD9 350 IH same engine also used in MD, WD9 and UD9

Fuel line.jpg

Fuel filter.jpg

overflow.jpg

Pickup pump.jpg

It's the IH pump.

Like I said in my post..."disassemble"...not troubleshoot. 

It ran fine at a get together last summer, and then a week later when he was going to unload it, the FI pump wouldn't deliver fuel.

I'm really only needing to figure out how to access the fuel screen on the plunger resevoir.

DK

Screenshot_20200607-213950_Gallery.jpg

Be my guest ... like I said I was just trying to help

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

My 69 656D. At this point, I've already done quite a bit of work on her. Had a ROPS bar, with the fenders attached to it. Stripped them (Fenders and ROPS off so I could install a Farmhand loader. Of course, I needed to get the lift actuators rebuilt, and had a devil of a time finding a local place to do that. In the mean time, i stripped some kind of hokey fixtures from the front and frame for some kind of plow required in Ca. She's a retired lady, so she won't be doing any plowing as long as she's mine. Had to replace the left frame rail. Someone cut a big notch (1.5X4") out of the rail. Anyway, got all of that crap removed, and made a set of steps so I can get up to the seat. I tried to put a KAT's block heater on, only to find out that the cylinder walls were to close so couldn't get the heater element in. This spring, she decided she wouldn't start and run, then finally not start at all. Worked with the guys on FB, the consensus being that the fuel injection pump required R&R. So, now I'm working to get that off, and having a few issues. In the meantime, still working on the pump, ahave removed the hood and side panels to start sanding them for primer and paint. 

IMG_1903.thumb.jpg.05d47087caf150aba57f9e7ff75c822e.jpg

• 6 months later...