Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rodtires

IH 3444 Backhoe help needed on Glow Plug wiring

post-112775-0-68078500-1400289346_thumb.My friend Ken has an IH3444 diesel backhoe, it has starting problems.

He is trying to remove burned trees and stumps from his property that are the result of the Ponderosa Fire of 2012. His home and metal shop are still standing but most everything else on his 6 acres was burned.

Compression was low so he removed the head and found two center cyls had leaking valves.

There was a crack in one exhaust seat so the head was repaired.

It's my opinion that the four glow plugs should be wired in series with a resistor as he has a 12 volt battery installed. or use two 6 volt battery's.

Any help would be appreciated. Attached photo of glow plug shows what it looks like.

Ron in Manton, CA.

post-112775-0-44701300-1401551684_thumb.

post-112775-0-92782100-1401551692_thumb.

post-112775-0-54575800-1401551703_thumb.

Hi

The compression was about 150 when we measured it before the head repair, haven't tried it after the repair.

We did have a fuel problem on a check valve in front of the injector pump. A diagram of it would be helpful in our quest to verify that we got it back together correctly.
Thanks for the help on the wiring diagrams. Haven't looked at all of them yet but the 3414 may be close.

The 3444 uses a large glow plug that is not grounded to the case. I feel that I should hook them up in series and ground the last one of the four. They are expensive
($32.00 each) so got to get them correct this time. I found some on EBay for $6.98 each so we ordered 4 and they arrived yesterday. Got a gage and switch from Jim on the forum and I've ordered the resistor from EBay so if it comes in tomorrow we ill probably have her running soon.

On my IH 606 diesel Farm Utility Tractor I kept burning up the bush button switch so I installed a starter solenoid for the glow plugs. Problem solved.

I sold it in one of my weaker moments, wish I still had it.

Ron in Manton, CA

150 psi seems a little low on compression , Not sure on the exact spec for pressure but north of 250-300 psi woul be better

I am sure someone will chome in that knows the spec

Good Luck !!

I realized that 150 was too low for diesel and that is why I convinced him to pull the head. Sure enough the head was

bad on the suspected cylinders.

I think it should be better now but haven't put a gage on it.

With proper glow plugs I think it will start and run.

I believe that the engine is foreign built.

Just want to do proper electric voltage to them as they are very expensive (about $32.00 each) times four.

Thanks, Ron

BD154 engine is / was buiilt in England and India.

Mahindra still builds that engine and I have bought brake accuator assy's for my 3414 from them for a lot less money.

Hi there,

The 3444 engine has the same glow[plug setup as the B414, 434, 444 tractors:

From tha battery (12V) to a glowplug switch trhu the glowplug indicator (resistor) and then to the 4 glowplugs in series to the ground(chassis) connection.

That means that if one glowplug is faulty, none would work...

I had the B414, 434 and 444 tractors and they were all like that. Never had an issue with the glowplugs though.

We will be doing some more work on my friend Ken's IH 3344 backhoe. We got the glow plugs problem
worked out but it still won't start, thinking old fuel at this point.

Thanks to Jim near Mantica, CA we got a glow plug meter and switch.

I found 4 glow plugs for $6.95 each and we wired everything up using #10 wire and doubled it in places. The engine wanted to start but not quite. We also have the correct resistor now.

Then I realized I had gave him fuel that was two years old a couple of years ago. We drained it and put in 5 gallons of fresh and tomorrow we will bleed the
injectors and try again to start it.

Ron & Ken in Manton, CA

post-112775-0-07951300-1401551843_thumb.

The IH3444 started today and ran for a little while. I didn't get by today to help celebrate but Ken's wife Shirley took the phone out when he got it started so I heard it run.

After about a minute it settled out and ran pretty smooth, not bad for having set for about 16 months.

Thanks for all of the help, Ron & Ken in Manton, CA 96059

Ken is going to remove the injector pump and have it check out by a shop.

He is not sure of how to get it timed when he puts it back in, any words of wisdom?

Thanks, Ron & Ken in Manton, CA 96059

What is the voltage rating on the glow plugs?

That will tell you if it should be series or parallel.

Secondly if they are all earthed by going to chassis on the head then it is not possible to put the 4 in series?

If they are earthed they should be parallel.

If they are not earthed then then is no circuit if wired as in photo.

i.e. no current, therefore no glow.

I find a DC clip ammeter real handy for glow plugs. You can step along the chain and find dud ones.

For example if 10A glow plugs end of chain will show 10A, next step, 20A, then 30A, then 40A

If you get 10A, 20A, 30A, 30A you know one of the last two are dud.

Again, what is the spec on the glow plugs? Genuine? or a reproduction?

The CAV pump is pretty tough. If the tractor now starts and runs smooth leave it alone. with 2 hydraulic pumps putting out aprox, 29 gallon of oil at 2000 PSI if no one has switched relief valves it is enough to bring that engine to her knees if hydraulics are held on demand.

My friend Ken got the pump back and two new injectors and everything installed. It would start and run at a high speed for a little while (4 to 5 minutes) (lots of black smoke) and then die.

He had put an electric fuel pump in front of the engine mechanical pump so I suggested that it maybe restricting fuel. He removed it and it ran a little better but only high speed yet.

I think that the valves may be adjusted wrong as in the past if a diesel started putting out black smoke we would "run the rack-adj the valves".

Anyone know the setting for the valves? He had R&R the head back a few months ago to have it repaired and it never ran after that.

Thanks, Ron in Manton, CA 96059

Hi Group

The pump I'm talking about is the fuel injector pump not the hyd pump.

On the glow plugs they are Champion and they are not earth grounded.

There are two separate connections and in the photos I posted it shows how I wired them in series and grounded the last one to the engine block. They are working great now.

I think that Ken now needs to adj the valves as it only runs at high rpm and is giving off black smoke.

Need to know the valve clearance settings.

Thanks, Ron in Manton, CA 96059

Sounds like the injection timing is wrong , I dont know the specs for the valves but if you set them at .012 for intakes and .014 for exhaust

you will be in the ballpark for it to run correctly ,

"Run the rack " usually pertains to the detroit diesel fuel control racks being adjusted although Murphy Diesels have rack adjustments also,