Sign in to follow this  
Kevingweq

1967 Travelall More like it !!!

Took advantage of having the rocker box wide open , made it nice to squirt some "Eastwood " Internal frame coating

and at the same time be able to see how the spray gun and multi-direction spray tip worked ,

At first I tried to spray it straight up out of the can and it clogged the whole works up ,So after cleaning and flushing

I tried it with about 20% lacquer thinner and it worked out great , It took less than a minute to do the actual spraying

while using abut a half cup of product , It really covered every square inch :)

post-77390-0-40750900-1426548271_thumb.j

post-77390-0-21972700-1426548286_thumb.j

I would lean to a sealed primer for the summer/fall maybe a flat color of what your thinking. Then if you decide to paint her just sand it up and be ready. B/c you know if you paint her it will blow a rearend or something!

Got the patch piece mounted in ,It took a bit of massaging ,

I think the total amount of bondo I used would fit in a thimble :)

post-77390-0-94016700-1429971695_thumb.j

My engine ( original 345 ) that came with the travelall ,Decided to take a dump !!

Not a full fledged meltdown , I had noticed last year that one of the lifters had stopped spinning around like his 15 merry brothers ,

So I ordered up a stepchild from summit racing , He had no interest in spinning either , I said to myself Hmmmm, wait and see ,

I did not have to wait too long and the engine decided it no longer wanted to behave smoothly , Seemed as though only half of

the cylinders wanted to come to the party , Sometimes they showed up with bells on ,Other times they were nowhere to be found ,

By the time I was done thinking about it, The engine was tore apart and mounted on a engine stand :)

The camshaft did not want to slide easily out of it's home ,Matter of fact it took a good sized hook bar to persuade it into the light .

As I poked and peered around the innards I spied a sliver of cam bearing residing neatly over an oil journal on the #5 cam bearing,

Bearing #3 had a similar thing going on, Only not just little slivers but good sized pieces of a complete layer of the bearing,

I would appreciate any and all info on Tips ,Tricks ,Procedures as I begin to cleanup and do a "down and dirty " rebuild

post-77390-0-61519800-1433035983_thumb.j

post-77390-0-27125000-1433035999_thumb.j

I have been puttering with the engine ,Getting things cleaned up ,Measuring the pistons ,

the crank, the cylinder bores ,

When I stuck a couple of piston rings back in the bore it was pretty obvious the end gap

was a little bit out of spec at .090 :) But on the bright side the bores looked great with

only a .002- .003 ridge at the top ,the pistons seem to be in fantastic shape , The rock

hard carbon in the ring grooves took some softening up with a can"o"carb cleaner and

some scraping tools (old piston ring) and groove cleaner bit

After soaking each piston for about 24 hours it was much easier getting the carbon cleaned out .

post-77390-0-05748900-1434210651_thumb.j

post-77390-0-26141800-1434210746_thumb.j

All eight ready for some fresh rings , Can anybody recommend

what style of rings to use ??? Chrome face, Moly, etc. ??

post-77390-0-91990700-1434210760_thumb.j

Another plus is the wrist pins are as tight as the day IH put them together

That is a bummer about the cam bearings. Will it take a line bore to install new ones? IH had a tendency to require reaming to fit for some reason.

Probably my ring choice would be "anything newer than what it had".

Kinda surprised to see that much 'style' on the piston top.

Gary, Just make sure the oil holes line up,And install the cam bearings with the good old bar type removal/installing tool .

I actually have a NOS set of cam bearings , But am debating whether to use or not , The consensus over on Binder Planet

is there was no real issue with the OEM bearings if the engine was used and serviced regularly , When the engines sat for

a long time with used acidic oil the damage started , One thing I have noticed is the design of the valvetrain does put

some higher than normal loads on the cam , Valve springs while not that radical in pressure ,Are multiplied by a 1.7 to 1

rocker arm . Yeh the pistons are the early contour design , From what I have found out the SV engines used 3 designs of

pistons The ones I have , Just a dish no bump , and flat top ,Please correct if someone has more info !!!

I had 2 different ridge reamers ,First tried the lisle on the right

it just did not work right , Then tried the no name (but very well made )

on the left , What an excellent job , It took the whole ridge and nothing but the ridge :)

post-77390-0-16372200-1434239266_thumb.j

post-77390-0-01835500-1434239462_thumb.j

post-77390-0-67954000-1434239488_thumb.j

post-77390-0-07675900-1434239508_thumb.j

Haven't been on BinderPlanet for a while. Had to trim back the extracurricular stuff.

Being later, did the flats drop compression?

I'm not looking forward to the day we pull the 392 in the dump.

But there is a loader handy.

"But there is a loader handy."

Thank God you got that loader ---- Just in case you have to pull the intake manifold off :)

As far as the whole engine --I just hope it is a good sized machine post-77390-0-71192700-1434250045.gif

As far as flat tops and the reason they changed ??? They did change them about the same time as smog equipment

came around , and they did lower the compression on motors for export ?? hopefully someone has a bit more on

the subject

Yes, change to the flat top pistons was to reduce emissions. They reduced the surface area in the combustion chambers. Because the metal surfaces are relatively cool, they result in incomplete combustion at the edges which increases the bad products produced and the less the area, the fewer bad products to eliminate in other ways.

It just hit me, the heads changed to match did they not? Later heads do not match with early pistons?

"Later heads do not match with early pistons" Correct !!

Thanks Howard , i figured they had a reason , I am now trying to figure out how to rebuild this motor

without the aid of a machine shop , The oem head gaskets being very thin and the new style composite

being thicker ,The difference in gaskets is approx .030

I am worried about losing too much compression , Are original head gaskets available ??

I noticed in the manual not to remove more than .005 from the head , for interference reasons ,

Here is some piston variations for reference

My style piston Thank Goodness mine are ok $500 for a set

post-77390-0-93308400-1434339932_thumb.j post-77390-0-25498400-1434340560_thumb.j

Dish style

post-77390-0-33968200-1434340259_thumb.j

flat tops

post-77390-0-62375700-1434340403_thumb.g

Right around .018 on the oem , FP smith supposedly has a pair, no price yet gotta be cheaper than machine work though ,they also have a new Harmonic balancer ring

Of course my balancer is a separate bolt on ring , Every other motor in the world has it built into front weight /pulley/balancer :)

Well, at least they can be had.

Felpro was always terrible about excess gasket thickness. I don't know why they were so popular, seems like every speed shop had them on the wall. Big ole thick spongy things. And yes 30 would change it significantly. I think part of it was that you couldn't go wrong with a too thick gasket, especially after decking.

Side note if you didn't know, nearly all rebuilt car engines make less than factory horse power. Standard practice in replacement pistons is to raise the wrist pins, usually by 25 to 30 in Chevys. I have a brother that built high spec and spent a lot of time running dynos. He has many stories of near going to blows when telling a customer that his noisy but shiny machine (now with more noise!) made less than stock original.

Good to know about rebuilt engines MD LOL I guess nothing is certain until you get out the measuring sticks !!

I decided to go all old school Mad scientist on the block :) Just in case you all were wondering an SV345

will fit into a 55 gallon drum for boiling , Here is the recipe , Cut drum ( not necessary ) Add 20 gallons of water

pre-heat to approximately 110 deg F ,Put on safety goggles ,long sleeve shirt , and pants ,(optional )

stir in slowly 4-5 lbs of pure Lye , Slowly add engine block , place air line in solution with approximately 2-3psi to agitate mixture,

, simmer for 30 minutes or until clean , Remove engine from pot , Hot water pressure wash -- Holy Crap that is some strong stuff , :)

post-77390-0-64087700-1434553645_thumb.j

post-77390-0-52834400-1434553675_thumb.j

post-77390-0-78217800-1434553700_thumb.j

post-77390-0-08540300-1434553720_thumb.j

Neat! We have experimented with rusty stuff and molasses, but it is not quick. Good for rust though.

Surprised they sell lye these days.

Gary if you mix up the right potion of water to lye , the stuff goes into self heating reaction and let me tell you

it will literally dissolve the thickest gunk right in front of your eyes , I actually found the lye at the Ace hardware

store , Then I discovered an old 5 lb can in my basement that was labeled "Root Killer " and the only ingredient

was pure lye , At the ratio I was using it gets pretty strong !!!! You can feel the little drops burn on your skin!!

After boiling the heads ,measured up the valve guides , Very little wear and well within the limits :)

I put a snap gauge down in the guide ( in 3 different spots )

post-77390-0-60566500-1434583871_thumb.j

Then zeroed the micrometer and measured the valve stem , little more than .002 difference

post-77390-0-28307200-1434583886_thumb.j

Fired up the trusty Van Norman valve grinding machine and ground all 16 valves

They cleaned up beeyootiful ,Very little cut was needed and plenty of margin left

Then after looking real close at the seats ,I decided to leave them as is , My Dad used to always

say "Why throw away good metal " And this was one of those times , Took just a smidge of lapping compound

and just made 8-10 twists with the suction cup spinner ,I could feel the compound getting finer ,

Stopped and cleaned em' up What do you all think ??

I have not vacuum tested them yet ,I will report back

post-77390-0-38521800-1434584474_thumb.j

post-77390-0-29123900-1434584500_thumb.j

Little wide on the seat, and a little narrow on the lip, but I'd say they look fine for a 345. Surfaces sure look pretty.

Nice mic btw.

Well the rocker shafts did not survive the oiling issues well at all, One shaft has 4 bad "journals "

and the other has 5, I took the valve covers off Krusty the parts truck and found 10 bad bearing surfaces

post-77390-0-87672000-1434597610_thumb.j

post-77390-0-99511400-1434597619_thumb.j

The engine has the nine stand rocker shafts and the welded style rockers ,

I will say the oiling system on the SV engines is unique

Edit fixes description error ,---The oil flows from pump into journals to the crank and cam then exits the rear of cam through

the center hole ,And then into the lifter galleys , The numbers 2 and 4 cam bearings supply a pulsed delivery to the rocker shafts

post-77390-0-08351800-1434598165_thumb.j

post-77390-0-21855100-1434598734_thumb.j

Using Mitutoyu mic in Starrets backyard!? What was the PH of your lye bath? Or do you just mix it nice and strong? Keep the updates and pictures coming on your resto I enjoy following your posts.

"Using Mitutoyu mic in Starrets backyard!?" Now you got me worried LOL someone from Starrett is watching :ph34r:

Pretty much just put enough lye until it starts heating itself , Thanks for watching !! The pictures and posting it here

kinda help me in a way . My pooter is in the house so being able to look at pictures of stuff in the shop is great !!

(Hopefully helps out somebody else too :) )