400 series fuel filter change?

chadd

Hi all,

My dad went to the dealer and picked up filters for the 966. The old numbers were A184773 for the primary filter and A184774 for the secondary fuel filter. He came home with two 84565905 primary filters and no secondary filters. The dealer told him that they no longer make secondary filters for them, so just use two primary filters... The CNH parts site shows that the new number is the substitution for the A184773, but still lists the old number for the secondary filter. Anyone know anything about this? The knowledgeable parts guys at the dealer all retired and since then I've had a lot of trouble with the new guys picking wrong parts and trying to pass them off as the right ones, so I don't trust the numbers they give me...

Thanks.

That dealer is "less than informed" (aka stupid!!). The final fuel filter is still part # A184774. The new primary fuel filter is shorter in length than the A184773 was, HOWEVER the original IH primary fuel filter was short too!!

The primary filter is for the charge pump fuel flow. It keeps the bricks out. The fuel then goes from the charge loop back to the final filter that keeps the dust out of the high pressure high dollar injection pump.

The secondary was a finer (smaller) micron rating. Never substitute.

Archived