diff lock 5288

The switch for the diff lock on my 5288 is inop. I was wondering how much current actually flows thru it. I would like to mount a lighted toggle somewhere on the right side console instead of the floor dimmer switch. I am wondering if that would work and what rated switch would I need? Thanks, Rob

I would think a 20 amp rated switch would be enough, same type of circuit with the MFD switch supplying power to a solenoid to change oil flow. Same thing on the diff lock with that solenoid for the diff circuit.

I have gave serious thought to adding this to my 5488 but also tie in the brake switches to kick the switch out when you get to the end. Main concern is leaving it on and trying to make a turn and causing differential damage, so be careful of putting the switch in and leaving it on.

I wonder if you could put in a foot operated dimmer switch, so the circuit stays open,(closed?), until you hit the brake pedal to release it? Of course you would have to put a second switch on the brake pedal. Confused yet!? It sure would beat holding the diff lock switch on until you take your foot off of it. Sid

Maybe someone can help me here.... for some reason or another I always thought you pushed the switch on the floor...the differential would lock in stay in under load on both axle....once the differentials noticed less load on either axle it released it...there was never any reason to hold the switch down.

I maybe 100% wrong. But thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

Matt

I wonder if you could put in a foot operated dimmer switch, so the circuit stays open,(closed?), until you hit the brake pedal to release it? Of course you would have to put a second switch on the brake pedal. Confused yet!? It sure would beat holding the diff lock switch on until you take your foot off of it. Sid

'edit' Current flows on a closed circuit , Current cannot flow on open circuit

clear as mud right :)

I would think a 20 amp rated switch would be enough, same type of circuit with the MFD switch supplying power to a solenoid to change oil flow. Same thing on the diff lock with that solenoid for the diff circuit.

I have gave serious thought to adding this to my 5488 but also tie in the brake switches to kick the switch out when you get to the end. Main concern is leaving it on and trying to make a turn and causing differential damage, so be careful of putting the switch in and leaving it on.

It is possible with a set of relays that keep each other running until a signal from the brake pedals cut them out. I had a plan made up for that based on the terrain tracer wiring on my TR86 combine, until the diagram was lost/destroyed.

In my copy of the manual, the diff lock "will remain engaged until the switch is released."

Normally any circuit that you want to switch 'on' and have it stay 'on' will require a 'latching relay' they can be switched on and will continue to provide juice

there is a couple of different styles , you can turn them on/off with both -/+ signals ,depending on application

Normally any circuit that you want to switch 'on' and have it stay 'on' will require a 'latching relay' they can be switched on and will continue to provide juice

there is a couple of different styles , you can turn them on/off with both -/+ signals ,depending on application

It can be done with a normal relay. Use the NO contact to feedback and energise the coil. Put another switch or contact in series of the feedback loop to 'unlatch'

For example see most workshop machinery with start stop push button operation. No need for a fancy latching relay

"Put another switch or contact in series of the feedback loop to 'unlatch"

This switch will have to be N/C momentarily open to operate on the brake pedal correct , ???

Does anybody have the wiring diagram they can post ???

"Put another switch or contact in series of the feedback loop to 'unlatch"

This switch will have to be N/C momentarily open to operate on the brake pedal correct , ???

Does anybody have the wiring diagram they can post ???

Yes, quite correct.

A quick rough sketch.

Top circuit is normal push button latching on/off circuit using one relay.

If you want to disable when the brakes are touched you will need another relay to invert the signal (convert brake on to an off)

Personally I would still add a disengage push button. I like options

post-397-0-25936000-1393876157_thumb.jpg

absolutely ,Love options , the circuit with the brake switch is what led me to suggest the latching relay , Because of it's

ability to be controlled by either a pos or neg signal , As always more than one way to skin a diff lock :)

I am not familar with this tractor is the diff lock electrically held on , or is it just activated electrically and held in by torque load ??

It is electrically engaged with a contact switch, if your foot comes off the switch the solenoid valve switches and diff is off then.

The newer magnum tractors have a lighted switch: the switch is pushed to the on position but returns to center and the diff is engaged until a brake is touched or the switch is flipped to the off position. To re-engage the diff lock you must again push the switch to the on position.

Thanks for the info Duke

Archived