Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NKramFFL

1949 KB-6 Shifting

I am picking up my ,new to me, new truck tomorrow. It has a five speed transmission and two speed rear end. While driving it today the seller seemed to not have much information on proper shifting. Do you have to double clutch? When he tried to just shift to the next gear there was a bit of grind until it went into the next gear. Seems to me it would shift like my old 53 Super M.

post-88872-0-54644300-1393561523_thumb.j

post-88872-0-93021500-1393561540_thumb.j

post-88872-0-74964900-1393561552_thumb.j

Double clutch or match the revs . Use the two speed like a ordinary two speed. The gears are straight cut. That how I drive my kb 5 and my r190s and and old fleet star. Takes a bit of time to catch on but they will slid right into gear. If you can't find them grind them!

my guess would be 1 and 2 are straight cut. 3-5 are helically cut. how loud is it in there? none are syncro'd.

like was stated above. when in doubt. grind it out. looks like a beautfiul truck. if you want ih made some massive 5 speeds of their own that may fit in there. maybe something to look into.

Does it have the normal Eaton 2 speed rear (electric shift)??

Running empty I would not even use the two speed on my Loadstar. Just leave it in high axle. Plenty of power there to move an empty truck in high range.

Got it home today and learned pretty quick. It was great to drive it home and have people looking at every light I came to. Used 2-5 and then 5th high. Worked great!

If it has an eaton electric 2 speed ,Here is a couple of videos explaining way more than you need to know ,

upshifting the two speed pretty easy , downshifting and splitting take some practice , Have fun

This thing has been a ton of fun to get to know already. Took it up town to the auto parts store for some other projects and had people coming over to look at it the whole I was there. If you guys know of any good links to learn more about my new truck I would appreciate it. I have a lot of things I will be doing over the next year to get it fully up to speed. Anyone know what oil filter this requires? Looks like about the same as my farmall tractors but I could be wrong.

Get an instruction manual and service book from binder books just a click away on the net. That's a good looking truck you have

I have the manuals on order but hoping to get some things done on it before they get in.

Would this have the 4-low, 5-low, 4-high, 5-high pattern of the later IH?

I don't use a lot of gears except when loaded, and even then sometimes skip if a grade cooperates. Empty it usually low 2,3,4,4H,5H.

It is a blue diamond. From what I have seen so far it is a Napa 1002 filter sock. Does that seem to make sense?

sounds right to me. i dont have a ton of experience with the diamond series. just from the few that ive worked on.

what does your current filter say?

Got a chance to do some more playing with the truck and I am building a stake body for the bed of it. Also got some of the wiring issues figured out. Current filter is the sock type like the Napa 1002. Got some coming in on Friday.

I know that I can't help a with the truck... But nice looking Truck!