Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldtanker

Enviornmentalist

Seems that the same environmentalist who are fighting to stop the Key Stone pipe line are now crying that the trains pulling freight are causing up to 12 hour delays in ND to Amtrak service. The article stated that in some places they are having to bypass stations and then bus passengers back to the missed stops. The BNSF track west from Fargo to Minot is single track. Seems they are afraid that if something isn't done people will use other less efficient means to travel. BNSF says that Amtrak rents rights to use their tracks and has a low priority. That and the increase demand for rail traffic to carry the Balkan oil to refineries is the problem. ND has a couple of refineries but they can't process all the oil being extracted.

I find this rather amusing.

Actually the track that Amtrak runs on between Minot and Fargo splits off just east of Minot and heads over to Devils lake and Grand Forks then back down to Fargo. Or at least it used to being I've road Amtrak a few times and that's where it went.

I think Amtrak's bottle neck is the going west from Minot through the oil fields.

Relating to our oil production I have been seeing adds on the TV are saying we are now just reaching the 1 million barrels a day export level. I disagree. I worked in the BNSF Gavin Yards site here in Minot and I know for a fact BNSF was shipping a a million plus bbls a day just going east by themselves over a year ago.

Looking at the present train traffic plus huge track upgrades that Canadian Pacific have done and are now carrying plus what goes west out of our state on rail it would not surprise me that we are pushing 2 million bbls a day exports on average now.

Look at it this way, a LIEBERAL is NEVER happy. If they weren't complaining and moaning about this, they would be just as outraged over something else.

Remember that the sole goal of their protests, is to get the government involved.

There are at least two truisms about liberals: A. They are easily 'outraged', and B. The media NEVER questions, nor doubts them, about the 'justness' of their cause..

interesting addition to this. the enviromentalist nuts who praise the windmills. who are now exempt from killing bald eagles.

we had a truck come in and make a rush delivery for us. rest of his truck was mobil 1 55 gallon drums of oil. i ask. "whats that for" driver says "them springfield windmills"

he makes a delievery every other week. the motors medium is oil. and because of the massive weight its needs to be replaced often. i had no idea they used that much oil.

so windmills use oil and kill bald eagles. W**. and now they gripe about the amtrak. holy peets. morons

Looking at the present train traffic plus huge track upgrades that Canadian Pacific have done and are now carrying plus what goes west out of our state on rail it would not surprise me that we are pushing 2 million bbls a day exports on average now.

My father-in-law retired from Canadian Pacific a little over a year ago. He was operations manager for St. Paul, MN yard and west to the pacific. CP was moving close to a million a day then.

Gotta get me one of them Eagle killin, oil using , noisy winmills , Then when the wind aint a blowin im a gonna hitch

up a big ole Dualz Roolz UD18 to it ,and hold her wide open and make my own hurreecane I'll blow all them

gallldang angry liberals back over to red chiner where they belongs,

Have Fun

Kevin

Should be a law we cannot export oil until the cost in the USA is below $30 a barrel

Look at it this way, a LIEBERAL is NEVER happy. If they weren't complaining and moaning about this, they would be just as outraged over something else.

Reading that one nearly caused my tea to come squirting out of my nose. :D

My father-in-law retired from Canadian Pacific a little over a year ago. He was operations manager for St. Paul, MN yard and west to the pacific. CP was moving close to a million a day then.

That's just it. The volumes going out of our state are way above what they are reporting. CP is carrying a million and BNSF is likely pushing double that plus what else is leaving here in pipelines or on truck?

It would not surprise me if we were in the 4 - 5 million bbl a day export range now. B)

It would not surprise me if we were in the 4 - 5 million bbl a day export range now. B)

And......??? (what would be the relevance of that?)

Um....less efficient means of transportation? Amtrak is wildly inefficient. Check their rates and p an l. Notice the millions they lose? We can fly to buddies in Parshal area and rent a car for a week for less than Amtrak wants for one way trip for family.

Art is right. Never enough for these types. Cant stop drilling so now trying to stop moving it instead. Same goal dif method.

Cant stop drilling so now trying to stop moving it instead. Same goal dif method.

Not being snarky but I have a question. If the Bakken boom is as big as they say (I agree) why aren't the pipeline companies balls to the wall laying supply lines from the wells (or centralized locations) like exist elsewhere in other major fields?

Oil in the Williston Basin is not a new phenomena. I've got geologist buddies that have sat on wells there since the 70's and the first big time production began even way back in the 50's.

And before anyone tosses out the common (derp, derp) statement that "environmentalists are blocking new pipelines" there please come to the table with specific examples of proposals to construct pipelines, and the Eco-crazed objections that have blocked these projects.

Part of it has to do with the plans to put oil refineries on the reservations. The tribes are sovereign nations within the US and much of the environmental laws or excuses don't carry any weight with them.

Why pump crude half way across the continent when you can build a refinery and ship the end products at a higher profit and with less work on existing line systems set up for the processed goods.

Part of it has to do with the plans to put oil refineries on the reservations. The tribes are sovereign nations within the US and much of the environmental laws or excuses don't carry any weight with them.

Why pump crude half way across the continent when you can build a refinery and ship the end products at a higher profit and with less work on existing line systems set up for the processed goods.

Please excuse me if I seem to be slow (after all I am a Liberal ;) ). I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your post. Is there some mandate in the Dakota's that refineries can only be constructed on a Reservation? If not why couldn't they be situated on other privately owned land?

Even with paying for a pipeline it is still cheaper to ship it to the Gulf Coast and refine it there. Railways charge much more for transport and are a much more dangerous method of transportation. As for refineries at the well head, that topic has been debated many times with the same conclusion in that it is cheaper to ship the crude by pipeline to the major points of consumption eg. big cities. The Gulf Coast is the exception in that it is even cheaper to transport gasoline by tanker ship from the Gulf Coast to the Port of New York, Philadelphia, Miami, New Orleans, Tampa, etc. If it weren't I am sure there would be lots of refineries in West Texas, North Dakota, Alberta, etc. That is my understanding of oil industry economics.

Environmentalists and their regulations are why.

The tribal lands are not under governed by the same regulations and bureaucracy as our national private lands are.

These cover some of the basics but for the most part it comes down to the fact present US environmental regulations that keep new refineries from being built in the US don't carry any weight with the tribes on their land.

http://netrightdaily.com/2012/10/north-dakota-to-build-first-u-s-oil-refinery-in-30-years/

http://www.hcn.org/issues/44.6/on-the-fort-berthold-reservation-the-bakken-boom-brings-conflict/print_view

Please excuse me if I seem to be slow (after all I am a Liberal ;) ). I'm having a bit of a hard time understanding your post. Is there some mandate in the Dakota's that refineries can only be constructed on a Reservation? If not why couldn't they be situated on other privately owned land?

Ah, you overlook the enviromental impact statements, the 'newly-found', almost extinct, crap-house mouse that lives right in the center of the site chosen for the refinery, and ALL the other roadblocks that the LIEBERAL can, and will, throw up to delay, and hopefully, end the construction before it is even started. And NEVER forget that the SEWAGE of the MEDIA are right there, in their role as "EXPERTS ON EVERYTHING", to unquestioningly accept these arguments as 'fact', and lend both their bottom of the barrel 'education', and their whiny voices as to why life as we know it is endangered.

the indians understand commerce.

give them enough money and you can probably build a nuke plant on their land.

refinery, heck yes.

tell the tree huggers the windmills have disturbed the wind patterns.

they have slowed the wind and the temperatures have risen as a result.

more global warming.

that will have them scratching their heads.

the indians understand commerce.

give them enough money and you can probably build a nuke plant on their land.

refinery, heck yes.

tell the tree huggers the windmills have disturbed the wind patterns.

they have slowed the wind and the temperatures have risen as a result.

more global warming.

that will have them scratching their heads.

Well, since the windfarms were built where the wind patterns were found to be most optimal, and now the windmills have been found to have disturbed the wind patterns, this should explain why that most of the time, most of the windmills are NOT turning.

Typical LIEBERAL hypocrisy, but since these windfarms were and are being built using TAXPAYER money, all is OK, as it was the thought that counted, and the kickbacks have been distributed, and the environment is being 'saved' (except for the birds) (AGAIN, MORE liberal hypocrisy)..

Precisely

Well since I posed my question about why distribution pipelines for the Bakken boom have not been constructed I've read several things about this and that but nothing addressing my question.

I apologize for asking and respectfully retract the question.

Well since I posed my question about why distribution pipelines for the Bakken boom have not been constructed I've read several things about this and that but nothing addressing my question.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that putting in a pipeline is no easy or simple task. A route has to be planned and every single landowner along the prospective route has to be notified plus agree to let it be put on their property and price for their inconvenience worked out.

Every time one landowner refuses to grant a right of way that part of the pipeline needs to be rerouted around them which then again requires a whole new set of people to deal with.

Start to finish a new pipeline route could take 10 - 15 years to go from proposal to finished working system. That's why they are not putting in new transcontinental pipelines left and right.

Now here in ND things are a bit different regarding the installation of local service lines from the wells to primary collection points.

Around here almost every landowner has mineral rights and is getting paid for oil that gets pumped from under their land so for someone to refuse to allow a pipeline to be put on their property is like cutting their own financial throat being every well that is not connected to pipeline can only pump as much oi as its holding tanks will take then it shuts down and has to wait until the tanks get emptied by truck.

If you were getting money from a well near you are you going to deny the installation of a pipeline that will keep that well running as much as possible plus risk gaining the local wrath of every neighbor around you who would see you as the reason they are not getting paid more because you bottle necked their wells production? :o

A lot of it has to do with the fact that putting in a pipeline is no easy or simple task. A route has to be planned and every single landowner along the prospective route has to be notified plus agree to let it be put on their property and price for their inconvenience worked out.

Every time one landowner refuses to grant a right of way that part of the pipeline needs to be rerouted around them which then again requires a whole new set of people to deal with.

Start to finish a new pipeline route could take 10 - 15 years to go from proposal to finished working system. That's why they are not putting in new transcontinental pipelines left and right.

Now here in ND things are a bit different regarding the installation of local service lines from the wells to primary collection points.

Around here almost every landowner has mineral rights and is getting paid for oil that gets pumped from under their land so for someone to refuse to allow a pipeline to be put on their property is like cutting their own financial throat being every well that is not connected to pipeline can only pump as much oi as its holding tanks will take then it shuts down and has to wait until the tanks get emptied by truck.

If you were getting money from a well near you are you going to deny the installation of a pipeline that will keep that well running as much as possible plus risk gaining the local wrath of every neighbor around you who would see you as the reason they are not getting paid more because you bottle necked their wells production? :o

Ok, let me get this straight. In every other big oil field they've worked it out to allow for the construction and operation of pipelines but there's something unique about ND (even in the midist of a boom providing great wealth to the State) that is preventing this? I again ask to learn (educate me) of any company proposing a pipeline and any individual or group that has opposed and prevented this from happening?

tila. sounds to me like you're being a PITA. one of these days you'll quit pestering the masses -_- lol

Because this pipeline goes into Canada, it is international and the feds are involved.

Normal pipelines that run state to state are not an issue.

States agree and it is built.

Obamma is stopping this one.