life in our corner

TroyDairy

20150822_155827_zpsj5zsqqjy.jpg

Lynden Inc. Had a big display at the local fair. My brother visited with the guy at the booth. Between all their divisions they could hire 100 truck drivers this weekend and they all would have full time work that week. Crazy hard to find guys with CDL to drive truck. Now out St has made the physical part even more crazy along with requiring a $4000 class before taking the test. So there are very few guys taking the time to get their licence. An he said the worse is the mid aged family guys who can't pass drug test. It's epidemic they said.

This is their 1st truck with a trailer on farm routes. I think mid 50s. They used trailers to run to plants in Seattle before but not with pumps like this.

Not quite rj. We ship about 6800 gallons on a 8000 gallon rig. They then top off at another dairy on the way back to town....8 miles. Won't ever return not 105% full. Look up Lynden Inc website for #27. The 1st one they used to run to Alaska. Found it in a wreaking yard in Ancorage. 53 kw....they bought 4 new ones for the job. They have their history and stuff online. The truck mow has a SS trailer that is a company museum. 1 family owns the whole she-bang

If you ever have the chance to pinch you middle finger between a fast cranking jack handle and the 3pt.....dont. pics won't do justice. ...and may make a few of you queezy

and that is the worst one to have bandaged, in view of the comments just waiting to happen.... :D

Troy, take care of that finger, otherwise it will come back to bother you in latter life!

As far as irrigation season, think of it being long is a blessing that you have water!!!!!

Troy. I have leaves falling on my lawn

Be gratefull

yyikes

I have had to wear a jacket last 4 mornings. Fall is near....already

Early this year. Leaves are really gold north of town. It's a heck of a wake up call. I still have a couple spring chores to finish!?

20150822_155827_zpsj5zsqqjy.jpg

Lynden Inc. Had a big display at the local fair. My brother visited with the guy at the booth. Between all their divisions they could hire 100 truck drivers this weekend and they all would have full time work that week. Crazy hard to find guys with CDL to drive truck. Now out St has made the physical part even more crazy along with requiring a $4000 class before taking the test. So there are very few guys taking the time to get their licence. An he said the worse is the mid aged family guys who can't pass drug test. It's epidemic they said.

This is their 1st truck with a trailer on farm routes. I think mid 50s. They used trailers to run to plants in Seattle before but not with pumps like this.

Troy, I went through the LTI display, I sure liked reading the history of the company along with looking at the old photo's. I had seen the milky way trucks in the late 70's in town I didn't realize they go back to the ealy 1900 if I recall the info correctly.L.T.I. a progressive well run operation for sure.

806, if I recal it was like '49 Jansen bought some little milk hauler. That's also right we we went to tanks not cans. SO now you needed special equip to haul milk not just a flatbed. That also put the Whatcom county from 5500 dairies down to 2000 in 8 years! Guys did not want to invest in tanks and grade A stuff.

20150825_152451_zpsrfh3yyxx.jpg

Using this still to get all our dirt pushed out. Ok little machine. Little jerky imo vs. a Deere I have ran some.

20150826_132937_zpscykktn9a.jpg

Never figured my kids would be doing this. Picking up sticks. The dirt had some in it b/c it is peat. And we worked some up with the disc and dozer. I picked sticks up out here for hours and hours when a kid. Dad always worked one 1-2 ac piece each summer and me and my cousins would toss sticks on the hay wagon all afternoon for days. Still do it on fields we've done it on for 40 years, they grow I think. Of course we did not have mom directing from a 4 wheeler, or were bare foot like this ding bats! Wife said they had to shower at 1pm after and the floor of it was brown with dirt! Gave them $4 each for 1 hour b/c they did not complain once. Filled the bucket almost 2x. Man the A/c in cool in the 170...... ;)

806, if I recal it was like '49 Jansen bought some little milk hauler. That's also right we we went to tanks not cans. SO now you needed special equip to haul milk not just a flatbed. That also put the Whatcom county from 5500 dairies down to 2000 in 8 years! Guys did not want to invest in tanks and grade A stuff.

20150825_152451_zpsrfh3yyxx.jpg

Using this still to get all our dirt pushed out. Ok little machine. Little jerky imo vs. a Deere I have ran some.

20150826_132937_zpscykktn9a.jpg

Never figured my kids would be doing this. Picking up sticks. The dirt had some in it b/c it is peat. And we worked some up with the disc and dozer. I picked sticks up out here for hours and hours when a kid. Dad always worked one 1-2 ac piece each summer and me and my cousins would toss sticks on the hay wagon all afternoon for days. Still do it on fields we've done it on for 40 years, they grow I think. Of course we did not have mom directing from a 4 wheeler, or were bare foot like this ding bats! Wife said they had to shower at 1pm after and the floor of it was brown with dirt! Gave them $4 each for 1 hour b/c they did not complain once. Filled the bucket almost 2x. Man the A/c in cool in the 170...... ;)

Troy,

Don't understand sticks your talking about? Where are they coming from and how big?

Perhaps from river water?

Those little girls will grow up with their heads on straight. Learning how they can help out at this early age.

Good pictures of a truly family farm,

Hang in there troy , Farms like yours and many here on the forum built this nation.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Peat dirt is ancient (like MTO) lake bottoms. So all the forest that were in/around them died and fell over into the water. This piece here was drained in the 20s. SO now, and forever I am convinced, the old branches, stumps, and trunks continue to float up as you work the land. This fill was from a peat field they are building homes on. They have to dig 8-10' down to get something solid. The vibrations 'wiggle' the wood up even faster. We have pulled 1000# logs out of some of our low fields. 806man IIRC has a huge ancient cedar he dug up as yard art. Now I will disc this down nice, plant some grass and in 4-5 years there will be 'bumps' out here. New ones floating up to surface. They are sometime beautiful if it's a big piece. The lack of air and immersion keep them red and HEAVY. This is our summer dry cow pasture since it is muckier than our other peat fields. It burned off in the late 40s. Some one tossed out a cigarette while baling hay. It was real dry and the peat burned for months. It took 6-10" off the entire basin behind us. Burning off the sod and down to the water table. It was then abandoned b/c it would not grow anything. In the '53 pic of our place you can see it's just scrub land, no trees or bushes even. Now we've been manuring and mowing it off for 40 years so the sod base is coming back. When I was a kid I dont believe i could even get out this far with the MX170. Even this new dirt I will pasture mow off next season probably, if it grows, just to make a mat on the ground. Its a big sponge. The girls can feel the tractor engine standing where they are b/c the grd is vibrating. I tripped when dad went by with the disc and 8930 b/c I lost my balance as I walked. Like mini earth quake. Couple seasons ago we silage baled 1st off this before putting dry cows out. The baler/wrapper had water in the rims as it moves b/c it was sinking. The sod was strong enough to keep it out of the dirt at least. He had to drive to the drier land to kick the bales out b/c he was to low to roll them out the back!

Troy,

Your stick picking sounds about like picking rocks on our farm. Been doing it forever around here and we will probably be doing it long after I'm gone.

We have so many rocks sitting in fencerows that landscapers come around and buy them off of you. They come in with excavators and load up Semi trucks pulling Michigan trains. You get paid so much a ton and of course rock weighs up quickly. Makes a little cash on the side. To bad you can't find a market for your sticks.

Troy,

Your stick picking sounds about like picking rocks on our farm. Been doing it forever around here and we will probably be doing it long after I'm gone.

We have so many rocks sitting in fencerows that landscapers come around and buy them off of you. They come in with excavators and load up Semi trucks pulling Michigan trains. You get paid so much a ton and of course rock weighs up quickly. Makes a little cash on the side. To bad you can't find a market for your sticks.

1 supplied 1 family with firewood for more than a year! 6' ACROSS . He had to let it sit for 2 years to dry!

And 1/4" of rain last night was timed perfectly. Praying that the 2" forecast comes this weekend

They sure seem to be crying that the sky is going to fall. Prayers

I know the news is OH MY! Rain!!

Ummm. It's western wa. Back to normal. Got wind last night....not much rain. Gonna ask again....and the sat is showing a daaarrrkkk green blob over the sound.

I know the news is OH MY! Rain!!

Ummm. It's western wa. Back to normal. Got wind last night....not much rain. Gonna ask again....and the sat is showing a daaarrrkkk green blob over the sound.

Good we are sick of your states smoke, I hope it makes it here

TroyDairy,

Two inches of rain over the entire northwest would sure be a blessing. The smoke is awful. I left the windows on the car opened slightly yesterday at my son's shop while I worked... er... played, because of the heat. "Ash on the dash" was so prevalent afterward, Gary ;)

Well....the rain has yet to show up. But 40 mph wind came full force. 190000 out of power. Trees are so dry they are snapping right off. Branches everywhere. Well gen set burnt up its ignition switch so no water for near 2 hours. Tanks almost ran out in barn. Neighbor dug his old gen out and we hooked a tractor to it. Other one is working on new switch or "making it work" via by passing. Association well so we all try to help. We are last farm left so we donate the most. Treat it like it's ours unless big thing happens then we'll tap into the assc acct.

20150829_141041_zpssdqvtpyf.jpg

Well....the rain has yet to show up. But 40 mph wind came full force. 190000 out of power. Trees are so dry they are snapping right off. Branches everywhere. Well gen set burnt up its ignition switch so no water for near 2 hours. Tanks almost ran out in barn. Neighbor dug his old gen out and we hooked a tractor to it. Other one is working on new switch or "making it work" via by passing. Association well so we all try to help. We are last farm left so we donate the most. Treat it like it's ours unless big thing happens then we'll tap into the assc acct.

20150829_141041_zpssdqvtpyf.jpg

Houses use it too?

Yep. Runs everything. We shut down 1 of the tank compressors and few lights. Don't run anything extra b/c when things like the air compressors fire up it bumps a bit. Never got little 1 running for well. Have to check that tractor too. 1 we pocked up for brothers/dry cow place worked nice on the 186 and a cheater. Milk plant was down for 10 hours. ...no gens.. don't get me started, they got power at 10p. Still out here, 12p Saturday to 6am Sunday so far. Oddly long but the wind broke so many of these dry trees off. .5" of rain so far.