life in our corner

TroyDairy

My answer to complaints about our department is you're more than welcome to come put in an application and you can help make decisions about "chrome". Fireman take pride in their rigs. You will get much more success from a department with pride, trust me.

The problem with the chrome is the guys that want it don't want to polish it so the department hires it done. More money spent foolishly,imo.

Jerry

Yeah that wouldn't work here. Just curious do you have an idea how much a new pumper is? Not trying to start anything I'm just wondering if the general has an idea.

thats about like asking how much a car is, our new E-ONE is a "cookie cutter truck" with the deck gun and rear discharge delete. its on an international chassis, came in just shy of a quarter million. i dunno what chrome other places have, all the steps on ours are aluminum, steel wheels, stainless grab bars and such. all the aluminum and stainless helps protect against corrosion. and good luck getting a truck with less shiney stuff on it. for 250+ K why put steel on it that is going to get beat up and corrode? in the grand scheme of things the aluminum is not a huge cost difference over steel that has to be painted, and it holds up many times better.

Seth here they have dura brite rims and 14" bumpers, gold leaf emblems, led chrome trimmed light, polished control plates and, the rear bumper will be chrome or powder coated alum. Sounds like your in with a good leader who gets what he needs not what he thinks he needs! Are you full time or volunteer?

My answer to complaints about our department is you're more than welcome to come put in an application and you can help make decisions about "chrome". Fireman take pride in their rigs. You will get much more success from a department with pride, trust me.

The problem with the chrome is the guys that want it don't want to polish it so the department hires it done. More money spent foolishly,imo.

Jerry

Yeah that wouldn't work here. Just curious do you have an idea how much a new pumper is? Not trying to start anything I'm just wondering if the general has an idea.

thats about like asking how much a car is, our new E-ONE is a "cookie cutter truck" with the deck gun and rear discharge delete. its on an international chassis, came in just shy of a quarter million. i dunno what chrome other places have, all the steps on ours are aluminum, steel wheels, stainless grab bars and such. all the aluminum and stainless helps protect against corrosion. and good luck getting a truck with less shiney stuff on it. for 250+ K why put steel on it that is going to get beat up and corrode? in the grand scheme of things the aluminum is not a huge cost difference over steel that has to be painted, and it holds up many times better.

Seth here they have dura brite rims and 14" bumpers, gold leaf emblems, led chrome trimmed light, polished control plates and, the rear bumper will be chrome or powder coated alum. Sounds like your in with a good leader who gets what he needs now what he thinks he needs! Are you full time or volunteer?
Only 3 full time paid depts in the state as far as I know, all vol in my dept. our second newest truck is an 08 4x4 int'l chassis E-ONE, it was around 210k new... Prices went up . That has deck gun and rear discharge, that almost never gets used around these parts.

Thing that rubed me wrong was 15-20 years ago local department got a new F450 4x4 ( Quigley conversion ) as 4x4 was not offered back then stock. They had to have the 4x4 ( I completely understand that ) but had to be a 450 to haul the weight. Now this had 235-16 E rated tires same as our dually 3500 had . $15,000 extra for the conversion. Could have put new leaf springs from local shop and put new F450 badges where the 350 was and had the same thing for $14,000 less.

20150611_205028_zps8vwgvxlm.jpg

9 pm...this is ridiculous. We have never had to irrigate this field before late July. So dry its like a beach. Very nice sandy loam. We get it from the school district. They will build a new middle school next year. This field has been a forest, dairy, berries for long time, spuds, and corn. The old owner would catch me once and again when I set up. Always worth visiting with him for a few. Passed away 2 winters ago.

9 pm...this is ridiculous. We have never had to irrigate this field before late July. So dry its like a beach. Very nice sandy loam. We get it from the school district. They will build a new middle school next year. This field has been a forest, dairy, berries for long time, spuds, and corn. The old owner would catch me once and again when I set up. Always worth visiting with him for a few. Passed away 2 winters ago.

After a insanely dry early spring I found your rain with the pickup were it was bone dry a month ago.

20150611_094100_zps8ctd0eum.jpg

Right on the axles.

Thing that rubed me wrong was 15-20 years ago local department got a new F450 4x4 ( Quigley conversion ) as 4x4 was not offered back then stock. They had to have the 4x4 ( I completely understand that ) but had to be a 450 to haul the weight. Now this had 235-16 E rated tires same as our dually 3500 had . $15,000 extra for the conversion. Could have put new leaf springs from local shop and put new F450 badges where the 350 was and had the same thing for $14,000 less.

its hard to say, as 15-20 years ago is a different story, but many of the emergency equipment companies spec the trucks that get, not the agency ordering it, also to bear in mind that truck is probably still in service and has sat for the last 15-20 years fully loaded and that will take a toll on a truck, 24-7/365. our 2001 Quigley van was an 8k conversion, this new one we got last year was closer to 10k

Ahhhhhgkkkhhshhdi.....

milker didn't show up last night. I pushed cows and afternoon guy stayed. I got ahold of our old guy who does Saturday afternoon chores now for us. For the right price I talked him into working. Great kid so I made it worth his while. Now have to jockey everything to make sure everything gets done. Night guys roommate said he left at 8pm for work. His friend called today and said he was sick. We figure it's the brown bottle flu. I know the roomate and assume he is being truthful and figure he got drunk. 1 of the other guys said he has a friend looking. Prob let the drunk do a few days to train the other guy then cull him out. We never have luck with Guatemalan guys.

The worse part of employees is you figure they are going to do some work so i can do some family stuff. Then when they flake you get all messed up. They may get fired but they really dont lose anything. You know?

Well page 3. I guess the round up trumps the yahoo!

20150613_100746_zps7bxuvs87.jpg

see the big Artex spreader? Ya me either.

20150613_100752_zpsxkstqohu.jpg

Berry guy put at least 6 loads of lime on last week. If they work it it will all blow away. He called yesterday asking for manure b/c they cant do anything till it get wet. 2 week is for 0 rain again. So I am spreading solids and Monday custom guy is pumping manure over. We hardly have enough, both lagoons are low, so we added 200k gallons of water and will pump as much to 2nd lagoon and stir as they pump.

Wow. You don't have enough manure. That's a first

Either too much or not enough. Never ends. Want it out in May June b/c it does the most good for re-growth. But by 4th and 5th cut we only can do a field or 2. Then by January your freaking out b/c the lagoons are full!

After a insanely dry early spring I found your rain with the pickup were it was bone dry a month ago.

Right on the axles.

she pop it out!?

Right on the axles.

she pop it out!?
After I got a driver in the truck didn't try to hard without one.

Your tractor appears to have a bent stack.

Ha it does appear that way! She is leaning left a bit since the field does. Stack is straight in reality.
Things so bad not fixing rear left flat Troy?

Ha, funny you say that since the 186 had a leaker this morning. Delayed bedding today. Got custom guy pumping what little manure we got to berry field they want to replant. WAY to dry to work. I think they should leave it lay till we get rain. but....we'll see.

TD You made a comment about your neighbors new New Holland bailer not working well, have them check goggle. My OLD New Holland just quit tying, three days to find out why! (stuppid me, I straightened the twine finger shaft three ways, didn't think about a fourth way! TWISTED) Anyway, found a comment about the new balers New Holland has changed the knotter trip arm to new design that bounces all over. This guy put one of his wifes exercise rist weights (type that Velcro on) on the arm and had made over 500 consistant, non broken bales at time of post.