life in our corner

TroyDairy

Well had 3 fellas show up for the job today. Guata, Mex, an a gringo. Gringo is a equip operator. Just heard tonight he has sleeping to much issues. The Guatemala guy has a good rep. Tired of his current job. 1am they start chores....retarded.

Expensive day. Bought another irrigation reel. Frik they are spendy. Evergreen one, 1/4 mile hose. With 2 we will keep grass green and not even touch corn land. Crazy dry and warm. Like 58 according to record from Neighbors weather station.

I would guess that you have the same issues we have. A top notch hand with no issues has a job. Or when they show up you know that what you can afford to pay (what the market will bear,we all want to pay our good guys 6 figures and full benefits but how?) sooner or later they will move on.

As for exspensive? I am buying dirt for a new driveway that is on a state road. The bourgh roads intersect the same road made from mud, they want a 20 foot asphalt apron for my driveway!

Idiots

No gravel in AK?

Worse nowdays here is how many blue collar industries cant employ mid age men who cant pass a pee test. It is epidemic. Trucking co are all short. The refinery hires anyone now if you pass pee.

The problem in Alaska is its epithet gravel of glacier silt. I am 5 miles from gravel. Real fun

As for the dreaded wiz quiz? They are transitioning to hair folicual tests in some oil industries. There are a lot less ways to slip past that. And now we voted to legalize pot. We have something like 40% fail and then we have 20% incompetents that pass. So you end up with 30-40% that are worth having on the job and about 40% that are just warm bodies, and your short the rest. I know companies that are not bidding work because they can not fill the high skilled tradesman positions. And you don't send a high school kid to class for 6 months for those positions.

Just a interesting fact. They predict that welders will be the number one undermanned skilled trade in the world for the next decade.

Right now they believd they are short 30,000 welders

Just a interesting fact. They predict that welders will be the number one undermanned skilled trade in the world for the next decade.

Right now they believd they are short 30,000 welders

Ask a trucking Co how it's going too. Friend is a GM of decent sized construction co. Said to hire a herdsman for the farm and come work for him this summer. Cant find anyone with a CDL to drive dump truck. Our State came up with a ridiculously costly and complex way to get a CDL. Hard to spend $4000 and take 6 weeks off to do the class if you are working. If you aint working you dont have the $. I used to think if they paid 25/hr more youngens would get CDLs. Old dairyman said his Accountant told him the issue with milkers was low pay. Pay more you'd retain them. He promptly offered him a $120,000/year to milk for him. He stammered and fretted. Showed him it aint the $ its the work. No one wants to work work anymore. And out society has made a dirty, sweaty, and hard work a 'beneath' me thing. Mike Rowe works is a great site from Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs. He said once we push kids into white collar and all the while steal the chance for a gratifying job of being a metal worker or a talented machine operator. Getting his hands dirty building complex things with his hand he can show his kids in 20 years. My BIL and sister do this. The 8 yo boy plays sports 6 days a week. You know what he is doing if you stop in? Working in the garden or weeding flower beds. You can see it is his thing. Like his break. But NO NO he is gonna be a pro athlete and a insurance salesman.

Like his break. But NO NO he is gonna be a pro athlete and a insurance salesman.

Once heard the phrase you realize your child that sportses all the time in rural montana doesn't have a chance to hardly play in college.

I'd come feed for you for 120K I'd even use the 1066. :-)

Why would a person want to do the hard dirty work of a welder [ I am a welder btw], when he can go to work for Obama [city, county, state, fire depts included].. Good pay, exceptional benefits, union representation, retirement, and he would never have to break a sweat.

Funniest part is the tradesmen with skills are making more money than the majority of collage graduates.

And they don't have a second mortgage to pay for it.

20150609_143154_zpsq26oxfpg.jpg

well, we had a stoopid day. So the cap there kept falling off. Grabbed some super glue and put a dab on it and stuck it on. Changed the fuel filters etc. Jumped back in to spread some solids. No p/s. The little hole the cover goes into allowed glue, like drips, to get in to switch for the p/s. Stuck in 4th gear. Tried every internet trick and chem we had to no avail. The $375 switch is here Friday

Nail polish remover aka acetone as mentioned ,, Super glue works well on keeping your eye lashes

stuck together too, Don't ask

Oh I tries the nail polish remover, acetone, PB, and everything in the shop. It dripped INTO the switch so it is solid. Trust me a vice grip would not even loosen it.

Mader I think I got a guy got 16/hr. Try out tomorrow 5am

Why would a person want to do the hard dirty work of a welder [ I am a welder btw], when he can go to work for Obama [city, county, state, fire depts included].. Good pay, exceptional benefits, union representation, retirement, and he would never have to break a sweat.

Isnt that the truth. Have a friend at church whom is a firefighter. Frankly it's a joke. 8 24hr shifts/month. Family benefits, 401, he admits he only 'works' 2-3 hrs a shift avg. IIRC it's 60k/yr here. Then he is Too busy to help at church etc. Good grief. Building a new home on a 1 ac lot in town they bought for 140k. Wife stays at home and all. But its tight she'll tell you. How do you have any self respect as a provider if you dont earn a living?

I am frankly not impressed with much of the professional fire fighter crowd. In Vegas they "respond" to over 100,000 events per year according to them. <_< They get marks on their score card and paid a lot more than $60k a year. Vegas has maybe a dozen real fires a year. Most of which the "responders" do little more than put out what remains. The politicians love it because you can't go wrong promoting "the heroic firefighters" <_< and it boosts the budget and their domain. San Bernadino has people making as much as $150k.

I hate trashing them but man their image outside looking in is a flop. Funny moment. So our Farm bureau had a float in our parade sat. Fire dept went 1st and we were 2nd. They bought a 4 man golf cart...good use of funds right? The chief gets the e-brake stuck. Sits in the middle of the 1st intersection blocking all of the event. He is pacing and wringing his hands. Looking like a fool. Me and another dairyman on our set jump off. I walk up look at the guy and say, "Stop dwelling on the problem and MAKE a solution, good grief everyone grab it and pull my way,". We drag the pos off to the side so the parade can start. I mean really you are in charge of my life hanging in the balance during a accident/fire and you cant make a call to the 10 firemen in the unit in front of you? He just paced and sweated. Looked like a dink. The head of the parade posted on FaceBook a thank you to the Farm B for saving the parade after the fire dept issue. Nice

That is sad about your firefighters! Our local volunteer fire department has some guys that are real butt heads but when it come to a fire call, they all get their poop together and are the best that money can buy, even though they don't get paid!!! My only gripe about them is they put too much chrome on the trucks at the taxpayer's expense. but they are still the best!

jerry

professional or volunteer, a fire department is going to attract some real boneheads, and it is a shame because it always seems to be the bone heads that are out in public making a scene and giving the rest of the guys a bad name, same story with cops, EMS etc. the list could go on and on. at the end of the day a large majority of the people who are attracted to public service jobs, be they volunteer or otherwise are good people who i believe truly want to serve their community and help people. i know a lot of cops who i have a huge amount of respect for, i know a few loosers too and the loosers are the ones you always hear about. we dismissed a couple members a couple of years ago because of their inappropriate postings on social media, photos of accident scenes that the public should never see, and discussion of things that aren't public. they say discretion is the better part of valor....lets say those that give a bad reputation to the rest of us have no discretion.

My answer to complaints about our department is you're more than welcome to come put in an application and you can help make decisions about "chrome". Fireman take pride in their rigs. You will get much more success from a department with pride, trust me.

Not that they are terrible guys. It's the culture of the dept. Like a frat house. The stories my buddy tells of guys behavior are ridiculous. These are grown men? Our county team of volunteers, 100% different. Top notch guys. When there is a call near town the volunteers whom are at their jobs show up before thenpaid "pro" guys a mile away. Oh but they will set up the command center and have coffee. They can't fight a fire untill 12 guys show up. Union says that's only safe way. Be damned the property. When the neighbors home burnt I honestly could of hooked up my irrigation system and got on it quicker than them. But they had a table with snacks and drinks. The couole volunteer guy who we knew who responded to the Oso mud slid said it was shocking to see men signed up to save lives listen to screams for help as they drank coffee. Then threated to arrest anyone who didn't listen and tied saving the woman they could see. Bunch of logger went in from the sides and save some folks. Guy we know said the screams were all gone 6 hrs later when they go approval of a plan to work. Horrible display of bureaucracy.

Sounds like a very touchy subject , I will say this , Thank God and Many thanks ,to the first responders, Be they Police

Fire , EMT's who's heroic actions have saved lives ,

Troy the pup needs a "buddy' seat :)