life in our corner

TroyDairy

I could tell the weatherman lots of stuff, but around here it doesn't help much! What yu going to plant in that field? Around here (if you had enough water ) this time of year, with a dairy, it would be silage corn. Am I close?

Foreguesser got better. Mowing some "pasture grass" today. Make mashmellows tomorrow for the far drys. We cut the patures (12ac) then tuen out some springers. To peat to try to run a chopper on. Baler will have water in the rims while dumping wrapped bale off.

Bit boring. May start calling rpmf members to pass the time

I know that feeling. Don't fall asleep. But you are saving fuel and eliminating compaction. Would be worse than that with tanks

Having pro guy do another field about mile away. Where the wheat was. 400 hp Cat with big Cornell. 45' spray with 2 plates on boom. 2700 gpm...make me envious.

I would love that flow also. We are around 1250 average

Sore back.....tractor back. Got to do the 7140s seat! Hasnt parked long enough to get to it. Ran to Burlington tonight with a friend from church. Guy has a S10 like mine with good tailgate, split bench, ash tray and, driver side mirror. All for less $ than a taul gate at local wreaker. About a 45 min ride. Grabbed supper at little hole in the wall he recommended. Realllly good lamb burgers from this dumppy little packed bar. Good conversations, cheap parts and feed...nice evening. I want to put the bench in mine since the buckets are shot. Then I want a old chev 3+3 crew emblem..make guys look twice!

oh and in the fold down console. ..a 1/2" IH wrench!?

20150516_142730_zps3ewvzlbv.jpg

from rd looking NE. Our peat pastures for hfr springers in summer. Some is 20-25 years old. Kinda wild grass now. But if put up ok makes nice dry cow feed. 134 pain in the hinnies....of these. He just went to another field we get 1st for cheeeaaap to bale up at least 200+ more!

Wow i was close. 306 bales! Most ever for the field we gwt 1st off. Guy make horse hay rest of season. Dry here. Starting to irrigate tomorrow morning. Man crazy busy. So 306x$18/bale=ugh. We took the four wheeler and sprayed innoculant ahead of him on the rows. See if we can get a nicer ensile this way. So with carry over we can feed the far off drys for about 16 months.

Troy, I really enjoy reading your postings. If I'm reading this right, you are getting charged $18 per bale to bale and wrap in the field. That seems like a lot of money. There is a guy that runs both a Taruup baler/wrapper and a new Krone baler/wrapper combo around here. The last I used him he charged $10 a bale to bale and wrap. Chris in PA.

Chris....this is my friends unit. He gave me the friend price. $20 is the going rate for all 3 operators who do this. The McHale baler/wraper is $109000. Wrap alone cost $5/bale. Your guy is crazy cheap. We all hate these but they are nice to separate out low grade feed. They ensile nice, more forgiving since airtight. Cows love the old grass when it's moist and ensiled well. Here they want $6/ to pick it up and stack too! This 50 acres will cost more than the 300 we chopped last week. But most of the fields the chopper would of sunk. Peat is real soft and sensitive to wt. My friend here had a Krone 2 seasons ago. They returned his $. Wildly inconsistent. Other guy with 2 units traded in his real new Claas ones for McHales too. Said he was spending 20k/y on maintenence. Friend does about 12-13000 bales/season. Beef guys like them since easy to feed small pen and you cannot make hay here in may or june usually.

20150516_154144_zpsd8zmmkox.jpg

1 dairy does it. Sqr bales....tube making unit. Works well i hear. It better the unit was big $ I hear. 1 AG-bagger here also. In E WA they ag bag 100s of 1000s ofnton of feed.

1 dairy does it. Sqr bales....tube making unit. Works well i hear. It better the unit was big $ I hear. 1 AG-bagger here also. In E WA they ag bag 100s of 1000s ofnton of feed.

The best kind is a tube wrapper . Uses the wrap on rolls to make a tube any length. "Tuber" pushes bales into a "sock" that is a pre made length . Shorter plastic is wasted, and can't go any longer than tube.

Ours is a tube wrapper, wraps bales tight and as fast as you can place them on the machine. It's was a low hour used machine about $25000 for it, makes awesome feed and you can use a normal round baler to make the bales.

I have not seen one of them around here. Just pics. My friend told me he has 6/bale in wrap and 1/ in net. Plus fuel, time, 100k machine And tractor....

Here McHale is King now. 4 guys do marshmallows and all have dumped Claas for them. Cut better and way lower maintenance. You cut the wrap and they fall apart.

Anyone get the Cargill calendar? What a nice pic this month

No, but went on their website & read thru the Cargill Corp. 18 pages of history... Quite a Conglomerate. I'll have to request a calendar. Cargill Methodist church Janesville, WI was gifted a large sum from W.W Cargill ( in memory o f his father & mother) to build in his home town.

I've been trying to give your storms back, but they just don't listen! We are not getting that much moisture, but from the satalite they are totally squeezed out by the time they get back to you on the west side. Sorry!

We are supposed to see the 80's here this weekend. In May? Going to be a hot and dry summer. And the forest fires are starting