life in our corner

TroyDairy

We have beef cattle. Both cow calf pairs and we feed the calves. There is no way we could keep a bunker good. Feeding time for 80 head total isn't that big of a issue for us. As far as silage freezing up you have to hit the sweet in moisture content when you put it up as you already know. We had a long brutal winter last year and February this year was cold as well and we didn't have really any trouble feeding. The one nice thing is when we have to feed in sub-zero temperatures is not having to baby a diesel engine to life. Yeah you have to have it plugged in continuously in those circumstances. We used to fill 3 uprights. 2 for silage and one for high moisture corn. 1 20×60, 1 18×50, and 1 16×50. We only fill the 18×50 now. The 20×60 is empty and the 16×50 tipped over 4 years ago after we filled it.

Yeah you're right about having to get fed quickly when you have large numbers of cattle to feed. We are off from our peak when I was growing up. We had the 30 beef cows and had 130 head of fed cattle at one time in the feedlot. For you that sounds small I realize. Back then everyone around either milked cows or fed cattle. Now we are getting to be the Last of the Mohicans cattle wise. In both townships there are no dairy's left. Albion Township's last dairy got out 3 years ago and Concord's last got out last spring. As far as feeding and beef cow pairs. 3 of us in Albion Township have beef cows. The neighbor who chops with us, one other guy and us. 3 in Concord still have beef cows.( one of them only has 5 left) As far as feeding 3 in Albion. (The neighbor, us, and one other) Concord has 3 left. All of us are small. The biggest has 250 cattle on feed and about 60 cows. We are all just using what we have on hand to keep the cattle. No expansion plans anywhere livestock wise anywhere. Dad is the only one with any fresh blood in the operation with my brother and I. To be honest if it came down to expand the feedlot or cow herd or get out. We probably would get out. Everybody else is strictly crop farming instead of both crop and cattle like we are.

I'll admit I not fond of packing silage. I had a bad experience a few years ago doing that. I'll do it for the neighbor if he asked me to but I still don't like it.

Yeah it did. I've said numerous times that filling upright silos is a crazy man's sport. And we're crazy enough to do it. Some of our craziest stories involve filling silos. Last year the neighbor had a new hired hand. Great help but his experience was in crop farming. He asked me about what we were doing and how dicey it could get. I told him if I get scared that he'd better be running away.

I gather you no longer fill uprights. I've packed silage on a pile once and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had either. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. When you were filling uprights, were you filling top unload uprights or Harverstores?

We have 4 140x40 bunkers now. Stacking is nice. AC and a radio! Look back and I posted here the falling of our last 2 silos. All concrete uprights with Patz unloaders. We quit using them in 98. When you milk more cows you gotta get more feed/day. They are so slow when a load needs 8000#s of grass! I cant imagine what its like having them freeze to the feed back there! There are a few blue tombstones left, non in operation. Our wetter feeds destroyed the unloaders
What dry matter do you aim for in haylage and corn?

Haylage? You must mean grass silage! ;) I like 36-40%DM Any wetter dont ensile good and any drier wont pack well. And inoculate on every pound. Corn.....our dream is 30-32% DM here. If you hit that it's great....but the avg is 27%. We've fed 23% some years. If it aint off but 10/20 9 out of 10 year it aint coming off. We get 6" rain a month after Oct.

Reichow, When I visited my kin in Holland MI few years ago I was kinda suprised how few dairies there were. I had a dif pic in my mind. I do miss silos some. We would get cows up to milk, hit 2 breakers and 1 switch, scrape the barn and it was clean and they were fed!

20150416_092231_zpsgpqvk5up.jpg

Drive side one of the 15' Hesstons. Both roller bearings out. 2 seasons. I swear they go out in the shed.

20150418_151231_zpsrxc6cxuj.jpg

Outside one of the 12' Hesstons......How the heck were they fine when I washed them up?

We have a DC 515 and a Heston 1365 . Had for 2 seasons average . One had bearing failure but these were put away wet before we got them. Like them by leaps and bounds over NH 1431 we had ten years ago

The DC is a NH aint it? Locally NH sold a lot. But when we asked guys no one loved them. All the custom guys but 1 run Hesston/MF for years. We have a '94 8312 CIH (Hesston) 12', '09 3315 AGCO, '14 MF 15'. Get the greasable bearings for the con bearings. If you need the #s PM me. A dealer here gets them. Custom guys swear by them. 1 custom guy runs a Claas and Krone 30' SPMowers, a New MF, year old JD, 2 7200R JDs..1 with JD frt and tail mowers and the other with Kuhns. Both 30'

Busy day. Got guy hauling digester manure to our rental field across town. Black stuff.

20150420_144157_zpsyy6d3otf.jpg

Friend from church here. Works (field guy) for a mid size self-bottler few miles from us.

20150420_144722_zpsli8lyft7.jpg

They were mowing a mile up the road. Custom guys 5700. Notice how short it is! Friend did not want cut but the boss thought since others were they better. We were planning mowing thur and chopping sat. Forecast went from chance of cooling and showers to full tilt cool and wet for 2 weeks. oh oh

20150420_144948_zpsb8xqge9h.jpg

Seeding 20 of grass.

20150420_162322_zps5a1knbou.jpg

Packing it in. Uncles Brillion...our is still down.

20150420_162116_zps7iernbpv.jpg

Our case IH DC515 is still a hesston repainted gloss red. I wouldn't have another new Holland on the farm after the last one. we are getting rain, at least it is almost all green now in the field.

I will want the greasable p/n for the bearings when you can get it. Thanks

TD, you are right about the bearings going out in the shed. I am curious of what type of seal the OEM's have. May be just a shield. When washing, water is getting in there, needs greased afterward or run for a while to dry out. The bearing like you show can be swapped out to a "Fafnir" tri-ply sealed bearing. We used them on our company's equipment built for the food processing guys. They hold up to high pressure, hot wash down. Unless the person (???) holds the nozzle right on the seal!!!! (secret---buy from a bearing house----half the price) :ph34r:

Gg

I think the issue is the conditioner bearongs are not greaseable. They take tons of psi from the springs and grass flow. Heat and vibration. So the instant the seal is comprised they burn up. The greaseable ones at least have fresh added each cutting. I hear you about going though supply houses vs dealer. If you got time to figure it out it is well worth it. Also right on washing. We powerhose them off every cutting while running. Then let them run for 15 min to "dry" off. Had 1 seize up over winter. Went to warm up oil to service. ..BOOM shattered the shell.

Our hay fields aren't even green yet and you are chopping!

I'm waiting for the snow to melt! And they got more forecast for the weekend!

Well......the fun is over. The predicted showers are a terrencial down pour now. Went to a little town out by Boundary Bay (N side is Canadian, S side US), it would be the most NW town in the continental US now that I think about it, for my birthday dinner. Real nice and GOOD steak house out there just S of the crossing. About 23 miles W of here and 50 yards from the bay. Had tough time seeing through the rain it was coming down so hard. Brother had to help uncle finish his grass he mowed yesterday. Green already but rain wont help it. He has a POS 5430 but he knew he wouldnt make it so got a custom guy to help him. Needed another truck, our batteries of course were dead! Hooked the McCormick to the Artex wagon and helped for a few in the rain. Cant figure why he dont just get it done. All his stuff is shot, and has no help. We do when we can but we got enough here too.

TD. Please send some of that rain over here! I have already started the change the water routine! :(

Well......the fun is over. The predicted showers are a terrencial down pour now. Went to a little town out by Boundary Bay (N side is Canadian, S side US), it would be the most NW town in the continental US now that I think about it, for my birthday dinner. Real nice and GOOD steak house out there just S of the crossing. About 23 miles W of here and 50 yards from the bay. Had tough time seeing through the rain it was coming down so hard. Brother had to help uncle finish his grass he mowed yesterday. Green already but rain wont help it. He has a POS 5430 but he knew he wouldnt make it so got a custom guy to help him. Needed another truck, our batteries of course were dead! Hooked the McCormick to the Artex wagon and helped for a few in the rain. Cant figure why he dont just get it done. All his stuff is shot, and has no help. We do when we can but we got enough here too.

Well , Happy Birthday To Ya!