life in our corner

TroyDairy

This must be odd to drive. All wheel drive, the drive train is all up higher than the frame. Fuel tanks behind cab, any moving parts were covered with a insulated rubber belt stuff. I figured brush fire fighting. LF hand drive and bad.

20150411_120914_zpsq8xvcrhr.jpg

Yeah..these are just on the DPF system. They had a cut away of a DPF filter. I cannot believe they even run with them on.

20150411_121356_zps5ftxmazd.jpg

......i got nothing. How does gary have so much to say? Friend at church said he looked at a clean 8930 with 5k hrs right across the line. $60k Canadian! Minus 26% with exchange you will pay about $48k ....good buy!

Just so you know, the insurance campanies have bought 4 of my neighbors hay stacks in the last 2 weeks. Or we have someone who is kindly helping farmers get ready for new crop hay (2 weeks?) by cleaning up their stack yards and hay sheds!

are those 6 or 8 bolt hubs on the 186? my part out my 5088 or send it to Nyssa

20150408_112604_zpstpjohf3f.jpg

View from a mail jeep in a mcd drive up getting a coffee. Yeah...she wasnt impress in the car there. Staff loves it!

Took me a minute. Must be fun

View from a mail jeep in a mcd drive up getting a coffee. Yeah...she wasnt impress in the car there. Staff loves it!

Grabbing a coffee aint too bad. Now the DQ drive up is all curbed so a bit more thought going though it is required. Girls from the bank kinda jump when I go in backward to their window!

Grabbing a coffee aint too bad. Now the DQ drive up is all curbed so a bit more thought going though it is required. Girls from the bank kinda jump when I go in backward to their window!

I would have a blast here. Remember one guy with a off side car, always had the dog ride shotgun. Best fun he ever had on the freeway

I would have a blast here. Remember one guy with a off side car, always had the dog ride shotgun. Best fun he ever had on the freeway

HA HA I often have my lab sitting in the passenger seat. Well the seat back with a spring frame on bottom and a pizza box for a cushion!

20150416_114647_zpss9cfzfyh.jpg

Isnt this the best part of a farm? Birthday girl (2) helping

That's a perfect start to a birthday, i really like the photo

Son of a gun......want to strike terror into a dairyman's eyes ona Sunday morning? Have the straw bale contain this and have it them get hooked in the door. Man what racket! I thought the auger let go.

20150419_073850_zpsmwr022jl.jpg

20150419_073858_zpsgvnyc3ex.jpg

I can imagine the noise that made. Loud noises coming from any piece machinery running full tilt scares the crap out of you.

About 10 years ago we were helping a neighbor fill upright silos at his feedlot. We help him fill his silos, he brings his silage wagons and self propelled chopper and fills our silo for the price of a diesel fuel fill up when we're done. Well we got the 3rd silo full on a Saturday afternoon. We left the wagons loaded for Monday as we let the silage settle down on Sunday. On Monday we started running the loads up. I was on the 3rd load starting to run it up when all of a sudden a number of large bangs came from the silage blower. After that the blower was ticking. I couldn't shut things off quick enough. He cold flowed anhydrous Ammonia on at the blower at that time so I had to shut that down at the same time. I got everything shut down and we all started looking at the blower. Something bent 2 paddles on the IH 56 blower we were using. About the same time the hired hand pointed out the 8 inch gash on the metal silo pipe. The gash was in my general direction so if the pipe hadn't stopped it it was coming my way on the tractor. We went over all the equipment and finally found that the chopper blower had broken a paddle length wise. The broken piece made the silage wagon and got buried under the silage. The chopper fan remained balanced enough that there was no vibration. We finished up chopping that way. That broken piece made it all the way up a 60 foot silo. It sucked trying to find that piece in that silage but we finally found it.

Wow that had to make you jump! I never was scared but was cautious unloading wagins when we had silos. standing next to a wingging fast blower ona full throttle 5088 and next to the Rub Goldberg of farm equip...a silage wagon. Chains and gears a wizzing along on a 1500rpm 684. We kept shields in decent shape.....uncle though they we scrap metal and I swear took them off for the heck of it.

Yeah it did. I've said numerous times that filling upright silos is a crazy man's sport. And we're crazy enough to do it. Some of our craziest stories involve filling silos. Last year the neighbor had a new hired hand. Great help but his experience was in crop farming. He asked me about what we were doing and how dicey it could get. I told him if I get scared that he'd better be running away.

I gather you no longer fill uprights. I've packed silage on a pile once and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had either. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. When you were filling uprights, were you filling top unload uprights or Harverstores?

Son of a gun......want to strike terror into a dairyman's eyes ona Sunday morning? Have the straw bale contain this and have it them get hooked in the door. Man what racket! I thought the auger let go.

20150419_073850_zpsmwr022jl.jpg

20150419_073858_zpsgvnyc3ex.jpg

sunday, eh?? i'd take a fresh cow or 2 over that....

Yeah it did. I've said numerous times that filling upright silos is a crazy man's sport. And we're crazy enough to do it. Some of our craziest stories involve filling silos. Last year the neighbor had a new hired hand. Great help but his experience was in crop farming. He asked me about what we were doing and how dicey it could get. I told him if I get scared that he'd better be running away.

I gather you no longer fill uprights. I've packed silage on a pile once and it wasn't the most fun I've ever had either. Each method has its advantages and disadvantages. When you were filling uprights, were you filling top unload uprights or Harverstores?

We have 4 140x40 bunkers now. Stacking is nice. AC and a radio! Look back and I posted here the falling of our last 2 silos. All concrete uprights with Patz unloaders. We quit using them in 98. When you milk more cows you gotta get more feed/day. They are so slow when a load needs 8000#s of grass! I cant imagine what its like having them freeze to the feed back there! There are a few blue tombstones left, non in operation. Our wetter feeds destroyed the unloaders

We have 4 140x40 bunkers now. Stacking is nice. AC and a radio! Look back and I posted here the falling of our last 2 silos. All concrete uprights with Patz unloaders. We quit using them in 98. When you milk more cows you gotta get more feed/day. They are so slow when a load needs 8000#s of grass! I cant imagine what its like having them freeze to the feed back there! There are a few blue tombstones left, non in operation. Our wetter feeds destroyed the unloaders
What dry matter do you aim for in haylage and corn?