life in our corner

TroyDairy

Troy, if you are struggling for new stuff to post, just post a picture of a tractor. We like red tractors! :D

Maybe retell the story of the tractor in the manure pond? I heard about it, but could never find the story.

I hope your business turns around, it is a shame that the people who work for a living trying to feed the country have to struggle to make ends meet.

Some one explain to my wife why this is a great buy and I need her please.

http://olympic.craigslist.org/cto/4924936932.html

all i can say is WOW. linda has a 2005 caddy and the ride is no comparison with my impala. not to mention, if that car was in ny, there would be just a pile of rust with 4 tires.

Maybe the big red line in the check book? nearly 35% drop since Sept. Jan was ok, feb tight, March....."hello, personal biz account manager friend? Yeah we need to talk.". With our co-op's extra ding we will get under $14/cwt making it a official $10/cwt off the high last summer. I try to tell my friends to cut that much off their pay and see if they get cranky........and work the same!

i have to admit, from the milk price angle, i picked the right time to sell my cows. i had a high of $27 in sept. neighbor that is milking my fresh heifer said he got $17 something for feb, with a $.45 deduct from the coop for balancing. the .45 started at .50 in january.

i still feel like i'm drifting without the cows for an anchor.

What I don't understand is if your price is down so much why hasn't milk dropped much in the grocery store?

You're a good man from what I have seen on here and I respect you. Praying you weather the storm.

God bless.

TroyDairy. Did they happen to say where in Michigan they are building that fancy robotic dairy? Just asking to answer my curiosity. Thanks in advance.

As far as prices dropping in the grocery store. What makes you think this time would be any different than all the other times in history. They very rarely lower their prices and when they do it is ever so slowly. Just one of those facts of life you don't agree with, Don't understand it but it happens anyway and there isn't much you can do about it.

I'm probably going out on a limb here but honestly who didn't see this state of the farm economy happening. I was talking with Dad and my brother about 2 years ago one day and I made the statement, "this is our generations version of the 1970's in farming". Dad said yeah and there is going to be one H@// of a hangover when it ends. He started farming with Grandpa in 72 and they went through the 80's so he's been through this before. The Carter administrations grain embargo on the Soviet Union ended that party. I remember the late 90's early 2000's during the LDP payout days. There was one time in high school when I took a load of corn to town and the cash price on the weigh slip said $1.44 cash price. This would have been 2000 or 2001. Not that many years ago in the grand scheme of things. We've been down this road before and we will be down it again and again. Sometimes if people would stop and study some history they would realize that this was bound to happen, it was just a matter of when. Those who fail to study history are bound to repeat the failures of the past and sadly we are going to witness it again. Other than the low interest rates this go round I see a lot of parallels to the 80's and I was just a baby at the time.

I think you may be onto something. I think it was in SE MI. Have to relook. Adam....point tooken.

That caddy is about 2 hours from me. She would be mad....but, its a broughm. The back iis higher and roomier i guess than standard Deville

I hear you TroyDairy!

There are storm clouds forming in my industry also! But everyone ignores the reason , because we had a momentum going and all of sudden because of water problems yields were way off, last year, causing a price spike .( Like I tell guys it makes no difference if price goes up if you don't have a multiplier) this year yields don't look much better then last, in meantime the port strike killed shipments for several months and the dollar increase overseas is causing resistance in market all the while guys are planting almonds at break neck speed.

Can you say eighties all over again, perhaps?

Scary,

BTDT, Tony

Hey.....aint you planting some more? ☺

Yes! I am taking a play out of the dairymen's handbook! When prices go down ,too much milk,and loosing money add more cows!

In reality, I am a long term Almond grower with 16% of my acres in grapes leased out. Don't want to renew vineyard or be a landlord. Will cost me very little to add 16% more to my existing work & machinery force.

Just makes the most logical since in preparation for future! Just like adding more cows when the manure hits the fan. LOL.

Tony

I hear you TroyDairy!

There are storm clouds forming in my industry also! But everyone ignores the reason , because we had a momentum going and all of sudden because of water problems yields were way off, last year, causing a price spike .( Like I tell guys it makes no difference if price goes up if you don't have a multiplier) this year yields don't look much better then last, in meantime the port strike killed shipments for several months and the dollar increase overseas is causing resistance in market all the while guys are planting almonds at break neck speed.

Scary,

BTDT, Tony

Yes! I am taking a play out of the dairymen's handbook! When prices go down ,too much milk,and loosing money add more cows!

In reality, I am a long term Almond grower with 16% of my acres in grapes leased out. Don't want to renew vineyard or be a landlord. Will cost me very little to add 16% more to my existing work & machinery force.

Just makes the most logical since in preparation for future! Just like adding more cows when the manure hits the fan. LOL.

Tony

I know just prodding you a bit. It does sound like a logical move for you operation. Do you have a Heir Apparent down there Tony?

Guy we know rotary post dipper...thing. It's from the opposing company that built the rotary. It is a joke, the 3-4 cows before and after the clip got their leg sprayed....some. He is getting the dealer to take it back (good luck, he's a huge jerk) and going to get the DeLaval one that supposed to be in there. It is a real robot but was not available till literally the week they got the barn going. It uses laser and eyes just like the milking robot to 'see' each teat on each specific cow.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Troydairy/media/2015-1/20150318_141028_zpsrvpangn1.mp4.html

Only way I can make it post.

Sunday, we feed. Adding water to the TMR. Keeps it moist and helps stick all the fine ingredients to the forage. Also it's the plate cooler water so better fed than in the lagoon.

20150322_055815_zps6d7mcqcq.jpg

20150126_101208_zpsn7dps119.jpg

From when we borrowed my uncles truck. He's a bit barn yard compared to us..I had tooken off about 2/3 of a roll of duct tape already!

Was that a DOT approved repair? He is lucky you got it, never would have been fixed it not.

I hear you TroyDairy!

Scary,

BTDT, Tony

Tony

I know just prodding you a bit. It does sound like a logical move for you operation. Do you have a Heir Apparent down there Tony?

Got my eye on two grandkids one my daughter's & one my son's see if any come on strong. Daughter has a MA in education & married to a Anesthesiologist in NV. My son has BA in Ag business, with minor in banking says he's interested but he is doing well at bank, doing commercial financing heck he'll be fully vested in retirement in another 9 years and he & wife spend every available moment with kids baseball & soccer. like most city people.

So, the Real-Estate Agent may be my connection to my heir apparent. However, as long as the Good Lord gives me wherewithal to keep going and I am blessed with good employees My Wife and I will keep on keeping on. She is a bright lady with good business background and I have confidence she's been paying attention long enough to me to know how to get it done if needed.

Having said all this, yesterday at Accountant they asked me about retirement and she volunteers, "he does not want to let go," "he'll never retire."Maybe she knows me better then I myself.lol Heck ,I've wanted to do this since the fifth grade. My good since says this is it but the farmer in me says maybe another piece of land to restore and develop. That's why I am pulling this vineyard did not like how it looked & produced and do not care for someone else farming my land so here we go. Lucky its only a small 20 ac. will level flat revamp irrigation ,drive ways, plant latest configuration of almonds.

Sorry, for long wind but I know you have a elderly Dad in your op. and this may give little insight to his thinking and a heads up because most diehard dairymen are just as bad in letting go. LOL. I try to imagine getting up in the morning and not having to go check the ranch. or ring my hands in the spring wondering if I have a crop, Not having a harvest to fret about, not having year end tax planning or Budgets for financing to do. I must sound pretty boring.!!LOL. BTW, it's better to put decision in hands of God .Holy spirit will tug at pit of my stomach when it's time to quit

Tony

So, the Real-Estate Agent may be my connection to my heir apparent. However, as long as the Good Lord gives me wherewithal to keep going and I am blessed with good employees My Wife and I will keep on keeping on. She is a bright lady with good business background and I have confidence she's been paying attention long enough to me to know how to get it done if needed.

Having said all this, yesterday at Accountant they asked me about retirement and she volunteers, "he does not want to let go," "he'll never retire."Maybe she knows me better then I myself.lol Heck ,I've wanted to do this since the fifth grade. My good since says this is it but the farmer in me says maybe another piece of land to restore and develop. That's why I am pulling this vineyard did not like how it looked & produced and do not care for someone else farming my land so here we go. Lucky its only a small 20 ac. will level flat revamp irrigation ,drive ways, plant latest configuration of almonds.

Sorry, for long wind but I know you have a elderly Dad in your op. and this may give little insight to his thinking and a heads up because most diehard dairymen are just as bad in letting go. LOL. I try to imagine getting up in the morning and not having to go check the ranch. or ring my hands in the spring wondering if I have a crop, Not having a harvest to fret about, not having year end tax planning or Budgets for financing to do. I must sound pretty boring.!!LOL. BTW, it's better to put decision in hands of God .Holy spirit will tug at pit of my stomach when it's time to quit

Tony

at the dairy coop meeting last week, a small (35 cow) dairyman was one of those being honored. he made the comment about retiring, "i guess a good way would be to milk in the morning, and die in the afternoon." it brought tears to my eyes.

Ha Bill. I dont know whether to be pproud of his resolve and work ethic or be sad for his family. There is honor in work but....I hear some guys whining their boys/girls dont want to dairy. Well they see h8m in the barn from 4 am to 6 pm 7 days with a break for church amd maybe a meeting. No kids sports watching. No nice days away with mama. Working more than 99% to make in the botton 5%. Some kids I know kinda hate the farm b/c it was 1st always. I see their point. But a balanced farm life is a anchor for the family. I know some dairymen whom quit when their kids were in high school, jr high. Said it felt like the fam fell apart when the cows left.

Ha Bill. I dont know whether to be pproud of his resolve and work ethic or be sad for his family. There is honor in work but....I hear some guys whining their boys/girls dont want to dairy. Well they see h8m in the barn from 4 am to 6 pm 7 days with a break for church amd maybe a meeting. No kids sports watching. No nice days away with mama. Working more than 99% to make in the botton 5%. Some kids I know kinda hate the farm b/c it was 1st always. I see their point. But a balanced farm life is a anchor for the family. I know some dairymen whom quit when their kids were in high school, jr high. Said it felt like the fam fell apart when the cows left.

Troy,

I firmly agree with you ! BALANCE IS KEY To life and we keep adjusting to it all of our lives. I think that's why I did not like cows growing up because our lives revolved around the cows. I came to hate all animals when young.

However, I see guys that go other way to far and they teach their kids to be some what irresponsible and end up loosing farm when things get tuff.

On other side of coin I suggest to my Son & DIL that they are out of balance with their kids and ball games .Those kids think the world revolves around the next game. There lives are planned around game schedules. At least the cows in my young life made our living and taught me responsibility. Like you say balance IS SO IMPORTANT !

Tony

I don't understand the mentality that parents have to go to every single event. If I was ever in an after school sport, I doubt either of my parents would have ever had the time to attend. Today it seems like parents are subjected to emotional blackmail.

I don't understand the mentality that parents have to go to every single event. If I was ever in an after school sport, I doubt either of my parents would have ever had the time to attend. Today it seems like parents are subjected to emotional blackmail.

I believe so & peer pressure and I believe parents live Vicariously thru their kids.

Its kind of sad Sat.& Sun. all day tournaments both are common here ,used to be a tournament a year. Now its a tournament for every time the kid sneezes. These coaches have no regard for families or Sunday togetherness and what's worse the parents are like sheep can't kiss coaches butt fast enough so LITTLE JOHNNY can start.

Tony

My sisters family is the same way. "Our son is extra talented" so he neeeeeds to play in the league 20 miles away 3 days a week. Hes 9 white and dutch....he aint going to the nda of nfl. Our genes dont do well with ball sports. I only let our kids do 1 sport a year and at this point do not want them to be in the eternal league thing. Her family is always frantic going here and there so her husband can puff up when his kids play well. Of course 3 have hearing issues they did not have time to get diagnosed b/c they were too busy. And the 8 yo boy cant read at his grade level...but he can kick a soccer ball like a Al Queda recruit. They life 1/4 mile from a cool creek in a gultch in town. He's never been to it. Funny part is if you drive by or stop in....he is in the garden....not shooting hoops or kicking balls. Dont you just wanna sit down on a Saturday and have breakfast together? Makes no sense why you want stoopid busy always.

Poor kid is probably aching to build a tree fort , or have someone show him how to put a worm on a hook ;)

Troy, once again you and a few of the posts before you hit the nail dead on the head.

I blame part of this way of doing things on society and schools as well. The way people think anymore sports is a do all cure all, if you aren't in sports you're a nobody mentality. We've all knew someone in high school or college that just was allowed to pass just because they were good at ball. One of my favorite stories is about a guy who graduated in my class in high school. He was good at basketball so he was allowed to skate through school. He even had a few run in's with the law swept under the rug because he was good at basketball. Didn't have to show up for class, didn't have to do the work, it was all swept under the rug. Do you think he's in the NBA playing ball? Not quite. In fact he's locked up in a maximum security prison doing life without the possibility of parole for first degree murder.(gangland killing) Did anyone do him any favors letting him get away with everything he did earlier in life? I doubt it. Would it had made a difference, maybe, maybe not.

As a very unathletic white farm boy I always felt like a second class citizen when sports was in the equation. I was strong and tall but I can't catch. Probably why I have a disdain for sports.

The good part about my upbringing is I had 2 equally poor at sports parents. I tagged along with Dad whenever I could on the farm. You know what. I loved it. My Dad saw my passion in it and he helped nuture it. He let me help with little things and as my size and maturity grew he kept on giving me more things to do. I always felt good when I accomplished my task. That is what any kid wants. A feeling of accomplishment, acceptance, and understanding. I worked hard and made money doing it. Valuable life lessons if you ask me.

By the time I was in high school I had made enough money and saved it to buy a really nice car when I turned 16. 1997 Buick Park Avenue, (couldn't buy a sportier car because of my age and insurance) paid for it in full without borrowing a cent from anyone. When I showed up to school with it my few friends couldn't believe how I could afford that car. I said "you know all that time you are playing sports and I'm not. What do you think I'm doing? I'm working or doing whatever I can to make a buck". I owned cattle on the farm by that point of time too so I learned the business side of things as well. I went to a 2 year college. Bargin basement costs. My parents paid half, I paid half. Walked out of college debt free. Not too many people can say that. 2 years later bought my 7120 magnum for the farm. Again paid for without any assistance. I admit I owe my Grandma for the farm I'm buying from her. She's carrying the mortgage. But that's the only thing I owe on at the moment. Hard work did this all for me. Not playing ball rather I liked it or not. My brother played football and actually was quite good at it. He played Division 3 college football as a starting center. But in the financial end of things he lags behind me. Nothing wrong with it, just different circumstances.

What I feel parents need to do is what my Dad did for me. As long as the kid isn't in trouble let them find themselves. Once they find that calling nuture it. You say your nephew would rather be in the garden. Go with that and see where it goes. Don't force a kid into a sport just because you say soo. Eventually that leads to resentment. Too many parents live their dreams through their kids. Nobody wants to admit that their kid is just average. We are all special in our own ways we just need to find our niche without soo much outside pressure. The chances of their kids landing that DIVISION 1 scholarship and then going pro is less than %1. I have a saying that the chances of that happening are about as good as coming home from work to my house to find Kate Upton sitting by my back door saying "take me I'm yours" You have to accept what it is. Just a game.

Back to the original subject. It is important to have a Bala between work in play. If you don't it will burn you out in no time.