TroyDairy

life in our corner

Skid loaders destroy most of the barn. 10 years ago the local CNH guy sold 10 skid loaders for scraping. By 2 years all were back to tractors.

Justin, The 2 on rt are normal (smallish) the other ones are 22 months so light yet. Big cows are stooooopid. Eat too much and limp too much!

Most of the gates at the ends of the Alley ways were U shaped from being backed into with the skid loaders curbs and tires dont get along either. Sure is nice to go from scraping to loading in a quick bucket change.

Skid loaders destroy most of the barn. 10 years ago the local CNH guy sold 10 skid loaders for scraping. By 2 years all were back to tractors.

Justin, The 2 on rt are normal (smallish) the other ones are 22 months so light yet. Big cows are stooooopid. Eat too much and limp too much!

Most of the gates at the ends of the Alley ways were U shaped from being backed into with the skid loaders curbs and tires dont get along either. Sure is nice to go from scraping to loading in a quick bucket change.

I love my 60XT dont get me wrong but i cant imagine letting the guys fly around on it!! I know the local welding guy loved the skid steer scrapers when they were around! I love my rope barn scrapers since it is quiet and 12 times a day. If milk prices hold were doing the next group this spring. Here no one would move manure than feed. At least a quick power hose of the tires and bucket.

Another Ferndale pic I found. Tedding hay is Frank Moser, 79 yo cuss of a man! My brother breeds for him on his very.......challenging 300 cow dairy. He used to crop and dairy. But here all the crops he grew moved processing to E WA. He farmed 4000 acres of carrot, spuds, cauliflower, some seed crops, peas and beans in the 60s-70s. Rented all the good ground from the tribe his farm is on. A character of Characters. I guess dont ever go to his daily (7 days a week) breakfast at the coffee shop in town over there. Make you blush how he talks to the waitresses. Gets a new Town Car every 2 years. Lives overlooking the ocean with a bunch a Drs and Lawyers 30 miles from the dairy in a home prob worth 2 million, but shows up every day. His boys try to get something done....if they are sober. Few years ago he sat in the headland in the Lincoln waiting to talk to the kid. Kid took the AC 8 wheeler [only good tractors he thinks] and ran over the 6 week old lincoln! So Frank set it out in front of the milk house for 2 years to remind the kid how dumb he was. His brother Joe is a local hero/speaker. Shot down over Germany and was captured and in a POW camp for ?. Neat book wrote about him. Frank is a local Ag legend out here.

farming-clo-PAD-.jpg

Went to town today. Figured I would take some pics of my milk plant, Northwest Dairy Assc./Darigold Co-op.

Looking SW. The big brick building is from the 20s. Tall white thing is the biggest dryer in the world we just built in 2012-2013 after a massive fire in our old one. Truck on rt is loading containers for China.

20140124_122405_zpsrdjumwz3.jpg

Now the E side of st. Yep plant is on both sides of road.

20140124_122443_zps8nppffdo.jpg

20140124_122459_zpsgtskjpok.jpg

E side of the last pic, unloading area for 4 trucks.

20140124_122539_zpsihkjwrr6.jpg

From the south looking N. big one on lf small one on right [dryers].

20140124_134455_zpsxwfoindz.jpg

Our humble 36x60 shop/shed. Always consider making the shed 2/3 into shop space. Be nice but the 24x36 area has restored cars, spilt a few tractors, built a 24' silage box, made toy barns and had old home stuff restored. So apparently it works fine. We do need to do a big cleaning. Toss things that have been sitting for years and we aint gonna get to.

20140124_112009_zpsflezro3p.jpg

More great stuff TD! I have cousins in Seattle, gonna have to visit that end of the country and check out your operation!!

More great stuff TD! I have cousins in Seattle, gonna have to visit that end of the country and check out your operation!!

Only 110 mile from downtown Seattle. Got a spare bed for you too.

This am was crazy clear and bright. Photo dont do sky justice. 55 d I think, 30 at night. We still need rain. So the high peak barn is the old milking barn build in '48. The cement (dark color) and roll-up door heading east is the 'old' (1989) milking parlor old home. The door was a window. Going N along the wall is that curtain. That is the new parlor. The cement wall below the curtain is from the 1st dedicated milking tie stall barn built in '42. That wall held up a tie stall, was a maternity pen wall, now a computer controlled parallel milking barn! Kinda cool. The white sliding door is the return alley. This is looking NE, Gonzo's home fire smoke is possibly visible. There were 2 stave 16'x40 stave silos by that small white sliding man door. The original opening for the silo room. We saved the original hand made slider for the 'locker' room just inside that door. The other 2 silos are 22x60s and are retired. Breeder just showed up, and yes that power pole is really starting to lean!

20140125_083136_zpsep3lblzy.jpg

Same barn from SE looking NW. All the concrete wall is from the '89 remodel. Little white sliding man door is the new calf pen built where the computer feeders used to set. Worked out well. Freestall barn is what dad built day he moved here in '76. 90 stalls then 120, now 113. Got the close dry cows in it now. Working ok. See the little 'chimneys'? Right over the near ends of the new parlor's pit. Closed now but work real well in summer.

20140126_132155_zpshnaszykm.jpg

Better view of 'old barn'. And my garage! And our Jeep! Considering knocking them silos down this year and squeezing a feed lane btw the garage and barn. SHE aint to keen on being even closer to the barn! Heck the original farm house was in the middle of the lawn! Tore down in '56. Got the doors on our basement rooms yet.

20140126_132159_zpswh1cwjkt.jpg

Canola load. 20t*275/=headache

20140127_095908_zpsz8zbm7tt.jpg

Explain more about feeding canola. Read a bit about feeding it. Find it interesting

We feed CANOLA waste from crushers in the prairies in the great white north. Canola is 36% Pro by Can standards. Looks like fine coffee. Here since we have no soy beans for 2000 miles it is a good replacement. Last quote I heard for soy meal was near $500. We feed about 7#/hd. I think 9-10 would be max but not sure why. Well prob be pointless since diet would be too high in Pro. So we feed Canola, its a sister of Rape seed. Same but with lower eueric acid than rape seed. It is like 40% oil by #. They crush/grind the oil out or chemically separate it out then dry the waste to the product we feed. Loadstar on here prob has more info than I.

Next quiz.....what was the original reason for the spelling/use of CANOLA?

Nice branding! I have heard Canadian oil lignin ass. As well for the same reasons.

This is it bg

20140128_091117_zpsyngnwyru.jpg

20140128_091053_zpsq8z3lo1w.jpg

Nice branding! I have heard Canadian oil lignin ass. As well for the same reasons.

This is it bg20140128_091117_zpsyngnwyru.jpg20140128_091053_zpsq8z3lo1w.jpg

Similar consistency of soymeal. Sounds like its a good protein source. Here soy and distillers are main protein source. Last we checked soy was 30 bucks a hundred. Decided it was cheaper to buy 18% pellets than to grind our own feed this year

Humm what did I do today?

20140128_134803_zpssh5yyv0b.jpg

TD, I didn't know you guys where under water when is it heading south? A heads up would be nice to know.

So today after chores I met my friend at his shellfish farm about 30 miles S of us. Samish Bay WA, home of Taylor shellfish's biggest clam/oyster/geo duck farm. Nice family company starting on it's 4th gen raising and selling worldwide fresh shellfish form Shelton Wa (5 hr S). Several farms in bays from Mid BC coast to South Puget Sound and oyster nurseries in Kona HI. This farm is 3000 acres with 1350 farmable for shellfish beds. 4-6 year from fertilization of eggs to harvest. Like 200000 'seeds' /acre planting. Look and ask.........

These 4 are tide flat they farm, 1.To far point, 2. To 3-400 yds from Isl, 3. To 2-300 yrds from spit, 4. from this mt.

1.20140128_121348_zpssxzozpuv.jpg

2.20140128_121355_zpsgjiskxut.jpg

3.20140128_122106_zpsvh2qfxm8.jpg

4.Looking back from middle of 'fields'

20140128_131808_zps3ik91nmn.jpg

5. Salty roads bug you? Try salty clothes, air, dirt, tools etc etc etc

20140128_122237_zpsg1yazhfa.jpg

6.Notice how steep the hill is? Chuckanut Drive Highway. See the trees angle.

20140128_121421_zpsjob3klqj.jpg

7. These 'envelopes' are 18x24" and tied in rows with young (2 yr) oysters in them....100s of them out here in this area of bay. Avg depth of the 3000 ac...8'

20140128_131511_zps52lahipf.jpg

8.From the envelopes to beds. The pile is 2ish yo oysters. He is driving in 200' rows back and forth hosing them off the stack into the ocean. They call it seeding. Tonight at low tide they will see how the rookie did in his application. 8pm today.

20140128_133523_zps1d3xsv1r.jpg

9.The clamming side. This is a aluminum 'potato' digger they built. They build all stuff you see since no one else will. $250000 for this 1st one.

20140128_133933_zps6tvgdqil.jpg

10. Shaker here digs clams out of man made beds with 'bird' netting on bottom, gravel in middle and netting on top. They roll netting up then run the silt into her. She runs a 4.3 chev on LPG (cant spill) all hydro with 4 drive wheels. Remote controlled from 50' in front so operator can keep it on the row. 300-400'/4 hour low tide. Went from .45/# harvest to .15/#

20140128_134042_zpshavnlrsr.jpg

11.Clams go up this to sort area hanging off back. See bucket of shells? They build their landing with them. He said its like rock picking, why pick them again in 5 years?

20140128_134046_zps6tshqdxo.jpg

12.Here's where its funny

20140128_134803_zpssh5yyv0b.jpg

13. That was looking SW. This is looking NW.....oil tankers for refineries S.

20140128_140458_zps4bzbn4qo.jpg

14. One on lf is 4 months one on rt is 2 years. Rust is a issue. Use rotatillers on beds and sweepers to 'dust off' netting before digger goes in.

20140128_135508_zpsjbsm3dun.jpg

20140128_135512_zpsdygidley.jpg

15.These mark big alum bins...4x4x3...they will hand fill tonight with oysters. They have to be done all by hand. 60000/shift..4 hours. The barge thing with the crane sets them when water in. Then low tide crew fills them. High tide boat gets them.

20140128_140924_zpsnmraqotd.jpg

16. this work? Short clip, click on it?

th_20140128_133319_zpstiyb2iyv.jpg

Neat huh?

Of course it was sunny for 3 weeks and I pick day one of normal to go on bay!