life in our corner

TroyDairy

On the cub 540 note. You know I dont know if anything I have could be ran buy 20 hp! Be a toy and thats it. I hate he just drug it over to the uncles heifer farm and leaves it sit out for 2 years. New carb and tune up to boot. Wont run right he claims. He's not a mechanic so if you leave it outside and after 3 years it dont fire up and run smooth it must be the tractors fault.

We talked about this the other day, my Great grandfather died in '76. biggest tractor on the spread was a farmall 350, his other tractor was a Super C. He farmed his entire life, raised his family, paid his land off, and enjoyed a wonderful life that topped out with a tracer that had 45 Hp, and he was happy.

Today his BIG tractor couldn't power the hydraulics to lift the disc so they could move it out of the way. much less pull any of the impelments in the field.

When my father was a kid they had a Super C and an H. When my parents bought the farm, they bought two SMTA's. They did hundreds of acres of crops with those tractors. When gas went nuts, they traded for two 656's, and in the late '80's they got a 756. At one point they were milking 99 cows with just a couple of 60 hp tractors.

I hear you guys. We chopped with my uncles 186 and 781(right? later a 881) IH for years. Was telling dad that now we have a guy bring a 600 hp Claas in. He said, "it took us 2 days to do 80 acres of grass and then near 2 weeks each to do 20 acres each of corn." Now we do 200 grass in 10 hours. 300 corn in 24. We make better feed since we get it in asap and sealed up. And since we work more ground and have 700 instead of 150 cows we try to get stuff done asap since we got more to do. G-pa had a H and a C and farmed 60 and milked 60. Only cut 3x a year, fed with a pitchfork and wire snips, did not grow corn silage so only worked 5-6 acres a year of new grass. Different work but still lots. I can never figure out how he had a bellly! Those guys did so much physical work you'd think they would all of been skinny as rails!

a few years back we had the kids at the Mn Zoo. had a great time. went to the farm exhibit in the back corner. My wife is Alaska born and raised, wanted to see more of the miking and farming stuff. On a wall they had a chart showing the price paid for several of the grains and corn. I took a picture but if memory serves me my grandfather made almost the same for his corn in the mid 50's paying a nickel a gallon for fuel in his $2000 tractor as they did in the 90's when they were paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for the equipment. Granted he never got even close to the same yields, but ?

And Grandpa Fritz was as skinny as a rail, he would be out fencing in grass 6 feet tall during a summer heat wave when he was well into his 70's, worked more than any two people. And I remember he used to have a bowl of chocolate stars sitting beside his chair, very serious sweet tooth. And kids (or grand kids) and dogs would sit around his chair and everyone would get one (or more). I don't remember much of him, but that is one great memory i will cherish of him

OTB, thanks for the info. I seen the list of implements on the little sign there. I have never seen on before. But I have never seen a Uni in real life either. Besides the baler none of that equip was used here since we cannot grow grains....well worth a toot anyway. VERY clean restoration as well.

Ha

it was a ghost town today when I helped the Ag booth display out. Yesterday my cuz (head maintenance guy) said they were 10000 head down. The grandstand was not even half full for the rodeeeeoh tonight.

TD, This inch of rain will sure help your corn and grass unless you just cut, the berry guys might be at odds about this. This will pretty much let us put the reels away for the season just think of all the fuel i could have left in the tank if I had know Gods weather forecast. I'm sure my barley will be flat, I hope the 400 acres of spring wheat isn't flat, some how spraying roundup on the wheat last week isn't helping it dry up today hmmmm That's farming for you!!!

Inch! Here it's a good shower all night. Half inch since ten. Perfect timing. Plow day still next Sat? I guess Dettlings dairy sold to Boons is the word on the streets

Yes plow day is on the 23rd unless it's like today, Hmmm haven't heard that one yet about the farm, nice operation with lots of ground.

We got a heavy rain and big wind last night too, and then lost power for the third time this summer. BK

My BIL lives in Ritzville America, he sent me a picture of the dust cloud which was east of him not too far he said 60-70 mph winds. they had a few branches blow off their trees was about it .15 of rain there last night I told him I would gladly share what I received.

Troy----

Any special purpose of the used tires in the concrete pouring----------other than disposal? First time to see that.

Also------------some of those tires look like they've still got good mileage left in them for us Mississippi folks-------we like to run them until you can see the air!!!! :huh::o;)

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Troy----

Any special purpose of the used tires in the concrete pouring----------other than disposal? First time to see that.

Also------------some of those tires look like they've still got good mileage left in them for us Mississippi folks-------we like to run them until you can see the air!!!! :huh::o;)

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

That's how we run here in Tennessee too!! :lol: