life in our corner

TroyDairy

New thing.  Field was rough from manure applying in March.  Then got wet and then got more wet then the cover crop grew like mad and too rough and wet to cut.  Mess.  Drone roundup spraying.  10% more than the big sprayer.  23 acres iirc 6 or 7 5.5gallon loaded with a 1.5 per gallon rate.  Its dying now at least.

Knocked out another grass field with weed/winter kill.  2 weeks ago, haven't had 2 dry days to get on it to plow yet even.  2 more inch expected this Sunday n Monday.

Did fortunately get the majority of the low fields chopper.  Cut in the rain 2 Saturday ago and then tedded 1st thing monday, chopped monday afternoon.  1" of rain Tuesday 😒

Nephew put new rear main in the mail jeep.  Someones were just sure it would run out of shop without them so slept in it most days.

NW WA youth show/sale.  1st in type and 4th fitting and she sold her for $3.70/ and couple sponsors so good day!  Pigs, so dumb and smart at same time.

20240522_131218.jpg

20240520_085255.jpg

20240520_122420.jpg

20240521_152538.jpg

IMG_20240602_123013.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Got some bark for her.  They got a brand new 744 JD 5yard rig.  Fancy

Bee guys doing their stuff this morning.  Normally sema like they do stuff at night.

Finally got on some ripe triticale cut.  Making marshmallows fri.  

Anyone have tips on getting wife to move?  Dairy inland hand shake accepted our offer.  2x size, honestly not as nice though,(but current operator has done well here) more land, 300+ days of sun, current operator leases it and owns 500 acres around dairy which he will lease to us.  Also have 1 solid offer for here.  Getting women to move is like pulling hair and teeth and mountains.  Seeing the opportunity and they aint.

Its about 1.50 to 2.00 a hundred weight cheaper to dairy inland WA vs the coast.

20240607_121046.jpg

20240612_085325.jpg

20240612_110511.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Got some bark for her.  They got a brand new 744 JD 5yard rig.  Fancy

Bee guys doing their stuff this morning.  Normally sema like they do stuff at night.

Finally got on some ripe triticale cut.  Making marshmallows fri.  

Anyone have tips on getting wife to move?  Dairy inland hand shake accepted our offer.  2x size, honestly not as nice though,(but current operator has done well here) more land, 300+ days of sun, current operator leases it and owns 500 acres around dairy which he will lease to us.  Also have 1 solid offer for here.  Getting women to move is like pulling hair and teeth and mountains.  Seeing the opportunity and they aint.

Its about 1.50 to 2.00 a hundred weight cheaper to dairy inland WA vs the coast.

20240607_121046.jpg

20240612_085325.jpg

20240612_110511.jpg

Does she have to go with? Lol

• Haha 1

I'm not sure what to say. I'd try to explain to her that you will struggle or worse in your current situation but hopefully you will thrive in a better more accepting environment to your business. Staying there sounds like wearing a millstone around your neck 

• Like 3

I wanted to move just a few miles down the road to my grandparents place. It is currently unoccupied and my dad wants me to live there. It’s over the line for the school district and that was the main problem. It’s probably going to happen at some point whether she likes it or not, but there’s going to be a big fight about it. 

• Sad 1

Change is always hard, but you can manage it to your benefit or wait to be overwhelmed and try to pick up the pieces.  It's like standing on the beach and seeing a BIG wave coming. You can run like heck, or stand there and get flattened.  Getting her to understand that forces beyond your control are going to make a change eventually is probably the key. Things staying the same likely isn't an option given the world we live in now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I got the opposite problem.  My wife would leave NWIA in a heartbeat.  

Thats more common than you think.  1 spouse wants to go other wont leave.  All over i hear that.  NWIA is America vs here!

15 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I wanted to move just a few miles down the road to my grandparents place. It is currently unoccupied and my dad wants me to live there. It’s over the line for the school district and that was the main problem. It’s probably going to happen at some point whether she likes it or not, but there’s going to be a big fight about it. 

Get a POBox in the school district.  People do it here often anyways

• Like 1

Wish I knew how to encourage her to move other than it will happen and will be easier on the kids now than later. Life will be better away from the coast...are you talking inland Washington or inland middle America? If you have offers both ways than it's a no brainer... 

I would say pray and appeal for the reasons that will make your lives both better

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got the pup snipped!  He did really well.  Didnt miss a beat.

Well we haven't got deal done to move yet.  I promised myself we wont "check out" and continue doing whats normal in our circle of life.  Kids Christian school has started on a needed and a huge 30m dollar upgrade.  I got hooked ontonthe building project committee also.  Step 1 is pulling out the bad and old blacktop and expanding the high school parking lot.  Need to move prob 200 loads of top soil (prime stuff, town should of never been built here.  The soil is too good.  Should of went west 4 miles where soil is poor) so I played dump trucker with the 1984 dump truck Lefty.  80* so was warm and I've checked off NOT wanting to dump truck for a career.  We have big 13' x 30 x 30 hole from digging up gravel for tank pad I want filled.  Whether here or not this area needs to be finished properly.  Such a blessing to get clean soil for fill so getting it and helping school with $0 hauling.  Many trucks donated.  3-4 dump trucks moving soil.  One is a large constuction/general guys whom donates a amazing amount to school.  Esp considering he is a bachelor with no kids and moved her at 22 years old for a job.  Their truck is this full pimpped out 2023 KW900 5 axle.  500 cummins with a allison.  Fella loading it asked the driver to load it himself since he didnt want to drop a pebble on it.

3 to 4 side dumpers donated for the black top removal.  2 from large aggregate companies with no ties we couls figure tonthe school.  2 donated excavators.  1 old equipment operator and a yahoo dairyman with a highly DOT illegal truck.  I even gently twisted some arms to get fuel donated.  Good community building project I hope.

Fair calf time.....or cry and complain time.

20240613_172429.jpg

20240703_105906.jpg

20240702_124447.jpg

20240702_124450.jpg

20240702_124440.jpg

20240701_095158.jpg

20240701_095129.jpg

20240701_095143.jpg

20240703_092359.jpg

20240703_203802.jpg

• Like 7

Got a pic of the fancy truck today.  Grabbed 4 more loads today.  Might be 2 or 3 more for me of the topsoil.  Then it's 1st grade off.

20240708_142151.jpg

• Like 3