life in our corner

TroyDairy

Forecast is for hot down here in the Lewis-Clark Valley for the week. Was in Spokane last weekend and froze you-know-what's off. Most spring seeding appears to be done in the lower Palouse. We are in the heart of "prime" down here as far as green, blossoms and colors. In a month it will be a combination of dried cheatgrass, rattle and bull snakes and ticks.

When I was in high school it was always " who's wants to climb the silo to anchor the pipe? That was before the permanent fill pipes came along. I was scared to death to climb it but figured it was time to conquer that rascal and get up there. Didn't bother me after a few times, except for looking into the bottom... just like looking down the empty spillway tube at Hoover Dam, gives me the willies!!!

Do you dry in field before choping or ferment in bunker?

Dry for a day or so depending on heaviness than pack it in bunkers. Shoot for 34-38% DM on grasses. This field we'll leave sinc eit is a corn field an rough. Just rake friday and chop. Fields by farm are really heavy. Will ted them today and chop friday. May hit 80 today. I will believe it when I see it!

My 2nd 'helped' grandpa pour a little cement around a power panel post we put in recently. Well he said she talked more than anything but got her out of the house for 3 hours!

photo-2_zpsb3etugiv.jpg

Baaaad day for local manure hauler.....'96 Pete 379.....was. Complete loss.

20140429_112405_zpsrwqjefni.jpeg

Boy that looks like a mess for the trucker and the farmers field

On a lighter note it looks as if he was S O L

Hope she got to write her name in the wet cement

LOL, said she tammped it in with a stick grandpa gave her. Last summer when we did the barn/parlor I got all the nieces and nephews who are here all the time (sisters kids a are a bit too clean to have fun here) put hand prints in the calf pen curb. From newborn to 10. So in 10 years when they feed calves they can remember doing it!

Your cutting and here in Mass we barely got buds on the trees I am completely jealous :)

Nice pics Troy, my wife and son are out there and she says the weather is great. Here not so much, fields are just starting green up and no leaves yet. This week we have gotten over 3" of rain and the highs are in the upper 50's. No one is moving. It's nice to see some people out there doing fieldwork. Great thread :)

Brown guys planting their baby raspberry root stock. One in the yellow towel is Uncle Dave. Thats all anyone knows him as. He's the farmer. His Brother and son farm right across the border. His Nephew Ranjit and him run USA operations. All live in Canada. Wives and kin were even helping the crew today since it is all by hand.

20140502_085913_zpsw49yxcdz.jpg

Good one of MIke.....right west of the bunker looking S.

20140502_100254_zpswr4n9nzq.jpg

Brown guys planting their baby raspberry root stock. One in the yellow towel is Uncle Dave. Thats all anyone knows him as. He's the farmer. His Brother and others farm right across the border. His Nephew Ranjit run USA operations. All live in Canada. Wives and kin helping the crew today since it is all by hand.

20140502_085913_zpsw49yxcdz.jpg

Good one of MIke.....right west of the bunker looking S.

20140502_100254_zpswr4n9nzq.jpg

I see D.S thinks Claus choppers are rare and collectable as many as he crammed in the new building and around the yard. All of those old choppers sitting around have to be a drain on the pocket book sure hope he didn't allow much for them.

I know. He has some that he has honestly been sitting on for 3-6 years. This one here is from WI and another custom guy went to Alberta last year. Mike here even gets all his parts from WI. Saves apx 25-30% WITH shipping.

Well for a change the weatherman was right. By friday evening our nice weather dissipated. Raining and showering on and off since. This morning it's really raining. The low fields we skipped are now 2 weeks away I bet before being dry enough. Got over a 1" already.

Had some friends from bible study over for a bbq last night. WA bbq.....in the house since it was raining. 1 couple are full city folk so I gave them a walk around. Them and their kids got to see a calf be born so they were really excited.

Holy crap. Been pouring and windy like January all day. I looked and we norm have 14-15" by may 3. 23.4" is where we sit now! Also a couple degrees cooler than norm. I swear gore said we were getting hotter by the day.....

gonna be a rough planting season.

Holy crap. Been pouring and windy like January all day. I looked and we norm have 14-15" by may 3. 23.4" is where we sit now! Also a couple degrees cooler than norm. I swear gore said we were getting hotter by the day.....

gonna be a rough planting season.

We are 12.5'' on the island since 1-1-14 according to the WSU site only an inch since friday night. I checked Lynden WSU it said you've had 1'' in the last 24 hrs. You ever check that against your guage I don't know the location of the Lynden site, the island site is in my field across from Snow Goose Produce.

I hope you didn't fall for Biggest lie of all times, The Al Gore BS story.

I have been hoping Al Gore was right for years. Melt Ice for fresh water irrigation and warmer weather here would mean we could grow some earlage! I wasnt sure on the Seattle airport weather so I looked up the Clearbrook station up the road 3 miles. 1.3" for month already and the ticker quit at midnight. Its been pouring all night. Here we are at 19". 21" is the actual avg for 4 months. I do see April was high and feb was high. Jan and march were low. Last year was 43" total. It's 46* here this morning too. Not good for the planted stuff.

20140505_082537_zpsvbmzox3m.jpg

This is the field the Brown guys were working in last Thursday. Got honest 1.89" since yesterday 8 am when we always dump the gauge. Going to be a slow week!

20140505_070813_zpszxnxpq23.jpg

The new grass test plot. Might not be so great. 47* this am

4 inches official since friday afternoon. County cleaning up the road shoulders today.

20140506_104217_zpsl6k9fevd.jpg

Dump truck is pushing this unit loading up what the grader cuts. Big tire between the two. Then they sweep behind all this.

20140506_104212_zps1131vx3o.jpg

If we had received that amount of rain here in that short of time here I would have lost most of the taters planted. Sure hate to see that kind of rain on the west side of the state this time of year it's not good for anyone. I hope you didn't have any corn planted.

A man has gotta love his cows to spend his life feeden and spreaden. The dairymans dream and your living it.

Steve