TroyDairy

life in our corner

that's the size we were looking at an 07 250 wheel drive would turn easier, was also looking at a 90 cc artic cat a lot smaller frame,

• Like 1

Went camping for few days up to the frozen tundra of Penticton BC.  Lots of history stuff.  Such open country...took 2 hr to take the 1 back road we found with me and the dads.  Pretty area for sure.  We really should of fought for 54*40"..

Never seen one of these.  Like a old Scrambler but 56k!!

Play area..just behind me was main highway.  Kinda loud but decent place.  Next time we'll have to ask for spot farther back.

But we went during Peach city cruise.  450 cars plus...very high quality rigs in land there.  This 57 was just right, blown big block power.  The Impala was from WA (1.5 hr...for us it was 4.5) full chassis on air.  He wanted 50k but not sure it was there.  

Froots by the lake...must be feral kids..

Seen this neat old chev van.  Dont see em often.  For some reason I've wanted a van last few months.  0 sense..never owned one in my life.

Wash up takes as much time as trip i swear.  Rained some so grimmie.  And if you take decent care of a rv it last.  Dont do much they dont last much.

Realized i have not washed my car for over 20 years!  Runs pretty good finally.  Needs Alt though.  And floors.  And rust repair.  And tires.  And headliner.  And new posi.  And new rear bumper.  And polished frt bumper.  And shocks.  And frame bushings.  ............

20190623_170748.jpg

20190623_074102.jpg

20190623_103923.jpg

20190623_104258.jpg

20190626_182348.jpg

20190626_183839.jpg

20190630_141953.jpg

20190630_154507.jpg

• Like 4

20190701_075201.jpg

Its almost funny how they fight each other for spuds

20190706_063450.jpg

Kin at dealership caught me Tue.  "got nice loader from pet bedding co.  We did 100% of service, 10000 hrs, 4 years old, 2 operators, good deal.  They traded on new Doosan 200-5.  Wanna try it for long weekend?"  Why not?  Never would know if they put a 4000h meter in it.  SUPER clean.  Only loaded sawdust and paper waste for pet bedding co locally.  Best mechanic in the area did everything by the book on it for company.  Near new Firestone tires, High-Lift and Q-tach, cream puff almost.  The price is fair but didnt get into details.  They just wanted new one since it was paid for and has 10k hrs on it.  Dont need it but the 544E is a 1988 with 17000 on it...aint gonna last forever.  But 10k already is something.  In 10 years have 20k then whats it worth?  It is $43000 and sim Deere 524/544K (best IMO) in $60++ with same hours.  Is that worth it?  We'll see, 60/40 prob keep what we got.  Not sure we want to put much into the dairy any more.  Could spend 80k and buy a building lot in town and flip it in year for $100k.  Aint making anymore land....

20190705_144306.jpg

We are however remodeling the last section of dry cow barn since we NEED to get out of neighbors.  Just terrible place, slick, 0 manure mangt thought was put into barn, poor stalls.  WTH were we thinking?  He wanta to make whole thing into RV storage so good out for us.  This will work ok and all dry cows be in 1 barn.  Much simpler for moving and just keeping eye on em.

20190704_070348.jpg

Happy 4th...........  684 shifter was done, no HI.  Little spring in shifter was packed with 35 years of cryd so lever wouldnt move over.  Works great now!

20190701_130538.jpg

Getting them trained.........both...kid and calf

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

What do you think of the Doosan as a loader?

So far it pretty nice.  My guy who feeds says its really smooth and quiet.  Guy we know has one on their dairy.  Was hoping to call him soon here and see how it's been.  The deal is/was the CIH dealer.  They carried em for 2-3 years till the Kobelco deal got sorted out.  Then they dropped it since they has sold Kobelco for decades (no loaders though).  Nearest Doosan dealer is 7 miles away across border so that's not a concern.  American one is 5hr.  The loggers have took to Doosan quick I guess.  Log Loaders and road builder units.  They are tough on stuff and if they like 'em it's something.  It is so nice but yeah its a 2015/16 and mine is a 1988 so duh its nice.  And liek I said this one is so clean.  Obviously very cared for.  The mech said they had a full service package and he followed the manual in services.  They had to get the machine from Portland dealer since the customer wanted a Doosan and wanted the mechanic too.  So another plus for the reliability of the machine....they absolutly wanted another.    

Good luck on your decision, can be hard to determine what is the right call sometimes.  I’m looking to see what is out there for small full-size wheel loaders, looks like Doosan is out as the smallest they offer is what you are demoing.  I would like something in the Deere 444 size.  At this point thinking Deere 444 from the 90’s or early 2000s or Volvo L50C/D/E.  I would like to consider Case but they don’t really offer anything in that size.  Jump right from 321 to 521.  521 is a little heavier than I would like.  

Take care up there!

• Like 1

I beat up on DL 420’s for years in the quarry.  They took a beating and kept on going.  I’m sure things are different now but at that time we did have quite a few problems with the DEF system.  Of course a newer model might not be so problematic 

C0E5AFA0-60A8-4AA3-A4A5-5000234A627A.jpeg

B5DC9066-EEBC-4B85-A89B-DDB3415A5C36.jpeg

• Like 1

I fed this morning.  Sunday and church so didnt wanna be slow learning.  Loaded 2 3 loads.  The lift seems slower than the old 544e.  Then seemed faster.  Not sure if a setting/adj issue or?  The ride control seemed to not work either.  And with the hilift felt bouncy.  HAVE to use it for a week to really get feel for it.  But either way not sure we should spend any money period now.

14 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

I fed this morning.  Sunday and church so didnt wanna be slow learning.  Loaded 2 3 loads.  The lift seems slower than the old 544e.  Then seemed faster.  Not sure if a setting/adj issue or?  The ride control seemed to not work either.  And with the hilift felt bouncy.  HAVE to use it for a week to really get feel for it.  But either way not sure we should spend any money period now.

Always read your posts !!........You may recall I got caught up in the Mycoplasma  Bovis      disease   here...after two years we have been cleared......cost a lot of heartache......cost a lot of money......and my planned   2019 trip to the great US of A  is no longer :(

..Well we were #36   on the Ministry of Primary Industries list  ..now there   are over 2500 farmers involved.....MPI have culled 100, 000     cattle......mainly diary cattle, for the "eradication programme"

I remember, Troy Diary....what you said re the stupidity of trying to eradicate that disease.....of course you were correct...and it seems that people with scant knowledge of farming were involved in the eradication decision.......it has cost millions , and quite a few lives.....sadly.......

...and now it would appear that  the Chinese  will also own Westland Dairy Company...another one down...will Fontera    be next ???

I guess we will soon get a free chopstick  issue...sigh..or some other enticement from the left wing Govt.  as we head into oblivion as a unique little country...about to be owned by the bloody Chinese

On another note, Doosan Excavators  that I have operated,  are very good, in my humble opinion

Mike

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 1

I was thinking about that the other day Mike.  Just manage it.  Our hasnt showed again for 18m.  But we keep getting low staph aureus count since April and cant figure it out.  Tested hi scc cows, always test fresh cows and clinical cows.  I sample every fresh then to save $ we only bring in samples from hfrs and the cows wed bought.  Freeze the standard cows samples.  I am afraid I tossed all of the April ones(when we started seeing staph) like a ouf.  Vet is finally saying sample everyone again.  Sighhh...3k poof.  

Rains coming wed...started mowing at 330 this morning.  Got all down by 530p.  Forgot i started 2 hr earlier than normal....mx170 took 89.4 gallons.  Holds 92.  Last swath i swore it fluttered a little!  But grass looks great!  36 days though since we waited since weather wasnt very good.  Got done in time for bankers dinner thing about milk markets.

Girls...swim, put on boots lead calfs, swim again.  So silly

Wasnt expecting this at bbq we went to with church friends.  Little cab fwd jeep truck.  Savable.  Rough though.  Ran 3 years ago the owners brother said.  He was squirting fuel in carb with mustard bottle and his brother was driving.  Awesome!  

20190708_040727.jpg

20190708_135627.jpg

20190708_165230.jpg

20190706_171625.jpg

• Like 3

Ok week....

Make sure the fittings are sitting proper in their basket before going down road..

Big fam reunion at PeaceArch park.  150 from GA to CA to ND showed up.  Nice time...I had never been tonthe park my entire life.  Very nice.  Shes sitting on a 49th parallel rock..thought it was funny one leg in Canada one in USA.  Its way more open that i thought.  

Had perfect crop weather.  Little rain..70 80*.  Green and comfy thank goodness 

20190716_164344.jpg

20190713_113915.jpg

20190713_113143.jpg

• Like 1

This is the damaged seed field.  Its taller than the mx170.  Looks amazing honestly....ears just starting but little dry so pulling reel out in it.

Part time help/feeder's wife came fresh monday night.  #2...he took few days off so had busy week.  As you can see we stuck with the old jd loader.  Not comfy with putting $ into dairy if dont have too.  Need to catch up a while.  Funny part is its sitting on the lot.  The 3 4 other guys the salesman spoke of must of dissapeard!

One of the tip waterers finally rusted though a hole (patched 1x already) so we decided to try this DeLaval.  Cheaper but had to make curb to set it on.  Seem good....frost free to boot.

Cool Federal truck at car show last weekend.  (Sorry order is goofy)  An clean old wagon that i loved.

Fair practice!  Already

Blueberry season means spray every frikin 5 day season!  He is fun to watch though

Why i traded beer for syrup!

Last few heifers have been just beautiful 

We have to get out of the neighbors barn with the faroff dry cows.  Such a PITA set up.  We figured out a way to make some more beds and better use some space at brothers so they all can be at 1 place.  Chores then cement then chores then repeat last week.  Finished cement on friday.  Getting used stalls and gate from retired guy and hope to have animals in by Thursday. 

20190726_100402.jpg

20190726_100406.jpg

20190723_053043.jpg

20190727_093821.jpg

20190721_133541.jpg

20190727_184123.jpg

20190724_153157.jpg

20190724_153201.jpg

20190721_133733.jpg

20190721_134034.jpg

20190725_202147.jpg

20190724_164356.jpg

20190725_161153.jpg

20190725_154941.jpg

• Like 1

Came fresh ......... Lol 

• Haha 2

That Federal brings back some great memories.  Attached is a picture of the one Dad bought new in 1950.  I was 1 year old.  It has a 16 foot Platt bed on it.  Story has it that Dad took delivery and loader 8 fat cattle on it and took them to Chicago stock yards.  Cattle sold for top dollar and Dad brought the check home and gave it to the bank and it paid off the truck.  As I got older, I was always at Dad's side when he drove that truck.  It had a vacuum 2 speed and it was my job to shift it into the "big cog".  The truck is long gone but the bed is still on the farm.  It was on 4 trucks and is currently on a truck frame turn into a wagon.  What I would give to have that truck in my possession today, restored of course.

jerry

IMG_0792.jpg.da2869b37d273a56ae44dfeee33c482b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SMOKER 1 said:

That Federal brings back some great memories.  Attached is a picture of the one Dad bought new in 1950.  I was 1 year old.  It has a 16 foot Platt bed on it.  Story has it that Dad took delivery and loader 8 fat cattle on it and took them to Chicago stock yards.  Cattle sold for top dollar and Dad brought the check home and gave it to the bank and it paid off the truck.  As I got older, I was always at Dad's side when he drove that truck.  It had a vacuum 2 speed and it was my job to shift it into the "big cog".  The truck is long gone but the bed is still on the farm.  It was on 4 trucks and is currently on a truck frame turn into a wagon.  What I would give to have that truck in my possession today, restored of course.

jerry

IMG_0792.jpg.da2869b37d273a56ae44dfeee33c482b.jpg

Wow, Jerry, what a wonderful photo. Thanks for posting it for us to see. I can't quite read the small lettering on the truck door or the barn; where is that farm located? It looks like a first-class operation. What color was the truck?

Regarding the ability to pay it off with a few fat cattle - we once rented a barn from a bachelor farmer who lived up the road. He loved to tell the story of how his dad harvested and sold something like 12 or 15 acres of corn (in the 1950s, I believe) and took the cash to town and purchased a brand new pickup truck. Sadly, times have changed.

Keith-

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Came fresh ......... Lol 

I laughed at that one. I’d probably get slapped if I.......never mind. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bitty said:

Came fresh ......... Lol 

Dairy guys.....lol

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, 12_Guy said:

Dairy guys.....lol

I think ive told this.....

10years ago i was in a Ag Leadership program.  We went to Vancouver WA across the river from Craphole Portland OR to see/learn about the Columbia River freight matrix.  Evening and me and 7 8 of us boys go for a drink and supper in Portland to the Metro Grill.  Like 40 bucks a plate etc etc.  They had big horseshoe booth we all fit into somehow.  Im in middle.  I only got a few bucks so i am burried in the menu looking for cheapest dinner and a Crown n 7.  I hear gal get every order (guys are kinda quiet) and finally they go "hey troy lets go!".  "Fine"...I set menu down and look up at the gal.  There stand this blonde 5' 5"ish 100#ish pretty girl wearing a white M sized shirt with XL upper body parts.  The few clasped  buttons (i can still see them....i mean it like yesterday) are just about ready to take the next flight off her little blouse.  "I 'll Get ...ah...the...umm...oh...umm...Blah Blah and a Crown and ummm 7".  My mouth is flopping and eyes are huge.  Red cheeks.  Everyone at table is about to pop they are so trying to contain themselves.  She smiles and knows dang good and well whats happening.  She turns and walk away....every one just about pees pants lauuuughing so hard.  And Joe the Sr of our crew just howls "you damn dairymen!  Every one of you always thinks of udders!"  Oh we laughed tll tears.  

Ah....in more modern times.  Fair is 2 days away!

Clipping and 4h club practice at neighborsplace....milk haulers restored 63 KW setup is on display in dairy barn.

Did 3 night camping trip.  This thing qas clupping the "sea weed" from the Columbia.  Keeps park nicer and keeps weeds from dam turbines.  Was a X of s potato digger/pontoon boat/ combine.  Neat to watch.

Wheat harvest on plateaus above river was going.  Looked good.

Got 4th cutting in...nice n full bunkers.

Thunderbirds!  Airshow weekend and airport in CA is 2 miles straight N.

Irrigating corn...and everywhere.  Need rain.  This is the "bad" corn.  Best corn we have ever grown.  Period!

Busy.  Camped 4hr away 3 nights last week.  Keeping 3 reels irrigating.  Mowed 220ac Tuesday then 4h practice.  Chopped wed then 4h practice.  Feeder took rest of week off so I did that.  Friday evening got Fair barn ready for club with the other dads. Today trimmed calfs and spread manure.  Now need to move guns again here at 830pm.  Fair monday is Herd Health and guy who helps with bedding is gone too.  Gonna be sleepyer come Friday! 

20190810_145355.jpg

20190809_185039.jpg

20190809_201242.jpg

20190806_185939.jpg

20190809_063951.jpg

20190801_094820.jpg

20190801_094840.jpg

20190809_103445.jpg

20190809_103455.jpg

20190802_074829.jpg

20190805_074510.jpg

20190805_201205.jpg

• Like 1

I got more rain than I would ever fathom this morning must be carma for the vet bill for her dog 😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SJH said:

I got more rain than I would ever fathom this morning must be carma for the vet bill for her dog 😀

I need to stop and see this huge fruit/corn operation.  Can a truck and trailer easily turn in you yard by shop there?

We just settled the dust.  Hard but short lived cloud

Well never see this.  544e been starting slow.  ALT lite flickering too.  Grabbed alt yesterday....wouldn't start this morning.  Must of happened last weekish.  Fairly dry under cover.  I am assuming running 1 killed the good battery.  Just got 2 31 batteries and be good for years now.  Hate wondering if a 365 day a year rig wont start.

20190813_093534.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I’m impressed that it didn’t ruin stuff from all the acid or burn. I guess you got your money’s worth out of that one .....

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 8:52 AM, TroyDairy said:

20190701_075201.jpg

Its almost funny how they fight each other for spuds

20190706_063450.jpg

Kin at dealership caught me Tue.  "got nice loader from pet bedding co.  We did 100% of service, 10000 hrs, 4 years old, 2 operators, good deal.  They traded on new Doosan 200-5.  Wanna try it for long weekend?"  Why not?  Never would know if they put a 4000h meter in it.  SUPER clean.  Only loaded sawdust and paper waste for pet bedding co locally.  Best mechanic in the area did everything by the book on it for company.  Near new Firestone tires, High-Lift and Q-tach, cream puff almost.  The price is fair but didnt get into details.  They just wanted new one since it was paid for and has 10k hrs on it.  Dont need it but the 544E is a 1988 with 17000 on it...aint gonna last forever.  But 10k already is something.  In 10 years have 20k then whats it worth?  It is $43000 and sim Deere 524/544K (best IMO) in $60++ with same hours.  Is that worth it?  We'll see, 60/40 prob keep what we got.  Not sure we want to put much into the dairy any more.  Could spend 80k and buy a building lot in town and flip it in year for $100k.  Aint making anymore land....

20190705_144306.jpg

We are however remodeling the last section of dry cow barn since we NEED to get out of neighbors.  Just terrible place, slick, 0 manure mangt thought was put into barn, poor stalls.  WTH were we thinking?  He wanta to make whole thing into RV storage so good out for us.  This will work ok and all dry cows be in 1 barn.  Much simpler for moving and just keeping eye on em.

20190704_070348.jpg

Happy 4th...........  684 shifter was done, no HI.  Little spring in shifter was packed with 35 years of cryd so lever wouldnt move over.  Works great now!

20190701_130538.jpg

Getting them trained.........both...kid and calf

There is a very wealthy guy in the valley here in North Dakota. He puts a 1000 cows a year out in open feedlot. They get beet toppings , French fries and cull potatoes with very little hay. He feeds most cull cows from the area then if they are bred go back out as bred cows. He was quite old last I heard but he owned a big operation and a modern truck stop in town. We used to feed cull potatoes to pigs and cows

• Like 1

TD, are the berry guys spraying for powdery mildew or some other bug? We've been diligent all spring/summer with our spray program on grapes and thought we were done. Last weeks cool weather turned things around and it looks like we'll make one more pass this week, #6 and hopefully it will stay above 90 until we pick 'em. 

13 hours ago, Bleedinred said:

TD, are the berry guys spraying for powdery mildew or some other bug? We've been diligent all spring/summer with our spray program on grapes and thought we were done. Last weeks cool weather turned things around and it looks like we'll make one more pass this week, #6 and hopefully it will stay above 90 until we pick 'em. 

The berry guys frankly spray about every four days to six days all summer and then they even spray some dormant type stuff and copper from late January to October I bet they have to spray for the moth at least 20 times a season for example the other day they were spraying on Friday the Blueberry Field below me then they sprayed Monday morning part of it then they picked we think the other part of it Tuesday then they sprayed Thursday or Wednesday then they sprayed Saturday and then they just sprayed about an hour ago it is staggering and kind of creepy how much chemical they pour on blueberries(and rasp) and I think i fmost of their buyers knew there would be issues